Thursday, 7/03/08 TeaDay

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Your Favorite GREEN thing? Green ftw!!!

GREEN TEA
57%
GREEN eggs and ham
11%
GREEN grass
9%
GREEN plants/trees
9%
GREEN beer
2%
GREEN beans
4%
GREENland
2%
GREENpeace
2%
GREEN Party
2%
GREEN Day
2%

Total votes: 53

Jul 3rd, '08, 03:58
Scrolling: scrolling

Thursday, 7/03/08 TeaDay

by Chip » Jul 3rd, '08, 03:58

As the day wore on, the voting grew very close. Oolong holds a tiny edge over Greens as TeaChatters all time fave tea. You can still vote and discusss this topic. Yesterday's topic also has 126 posts at this writing...a new record. Wooo hooo! Each additional post adds to the record.

Welcome everyone to TeaDay. Shall we all brew and share what is in our cups today...all day.

Today...GREEN will win the the POLL!!! But I doubt if the poll topic will make much of a discussion topic (but feel free to share). So...as a discussion topic...share what things do you like to have around you that are not tea related...when you drink tea? (for instance, an indoor fountain) I am guessing TeaChatters have special surroundings and/or items. Please share!

I am looking forward to sharing TeaDay with everyone. You know the drill, bottoms up, refill, repeat often.....

Jul 3rd, '08, 04:03

by Terrasi » Jul 3rd, '08, 04:03

Green, eh? Feeling defeated?

I like to surround myself with people when I drink tea. I like sharing it, and sometimes (rarely) convert someone to the ways of tea.

I also have a kirby plushie. Somehow, he relaxes me.

Have a nice day all. I'll drink some green tea today, in the spirit of... green poll day?

Jul 3rd, '08, 04:11

2005 Ming Yuan Hao Yiwu Wild Old Tree Cake

by Salsero » Jul 3rd, '08, 04:11

I hate these long puerh names. I know that hao means factory and Yiwu is a mountain or town. Let me resort to quoting from Lew Perin’s BabelCarp yet another time: “yiwu = (易武) town and mountain in Xishuangbanna. The town processes much of the Pu'er grown east of the Mekong, especially in You Le Shan, and many of the Han people of the town are descended from Wuyi tea traders.

If you’re like me, somewhere between the yiwu and the wuyi you get woozy. Oh heck, I just call it Spaghetti Tea because Guang said it felt like making spaghetti trying to get the long leaves into the pot. If you click on the picture, you will see some of those long dry leaves from this cake as well as the sansui pot with its hat on. The broad leaves under the chataku, btw, are my idea of an artful insouciance: they are not tea leaves, but bamboo leaves. They came wrapped around tea, but they themselves are just bamboo, probably another poisonous product of Nature. The leaves on the top of the chataku are tea leaves.

Also, in the second photo you will notice the paint on the yunomi is blue instead of green. That should give you a good sense of how much to trust photos.

Despite taking me two paragraphs to get this far, the tea was pretty good and the Japanese lidded sansui cup is fan-freakin-tabulous, baby! The flowers are from Trumpet Vines growing by the office. They are purported to be poisonous, so don’t mistake them for a teatime snack. Also, as they often are, these Trumpet Vine flowers were heavily occupied by ants. (**shudder**) So you see, there is no limit to the lengths Salsero Enterprises will go to bring you cutting edge designs.

For those with pointlessly long TeaChat memories, this cake was a Second Best Tea House selection way back in maybe March of 2007 … when MarshalN was spending a lot of time at The Best Tea House in Hong Kong and we locals here were jealous. Well, now he's somewhere in Ohio and there’s not that much to be jealous about. If I remember correctly, BearsBearsBears also visited that famous tea house around that time on his last marathon Tea Tour de China.

Jul 3rd, '08, 04:39

by omegapd » Jul 3rd, '08, 04:39

Great looking cup Salsero. I could lose my mason jar for something like that. :lol:

As to the poll, nothing is better than green grass for me. I live out in the sticks (on purpose) and when I get off that tractor or throw the weed eater back in the shed, sitting down on the back porch to cool off and looking at fresh mowed grass is a simple pleasure of life. This year, we have peanuts to look at in the fields. The last couple of years have been cotton.

On that note, my favorite non-tea related thing to have around is the old rocking chair on that same back porch. Iced Red Rose or China Black, heavily sweetened, is the key to paradise for me. Simple is better in my book.

This crummy pic is a few years old but it gives you an idea as to what my backyard looks like. Right now the brown fields are green. The big burn pile has been gone a long time too. :wink:

Enjoy the day!

EW

Jul 3rd, '08, 04:55

The Agrarian Ideal

by Salsero » Jul 3rd, '08, 04:55

Wow, Omegapd, you paint a bucolic scene worthy of the noblest pastoral poets of ancient Greece and Rome. They had similar values. Thanks for the words. The photo just makes it that much better.

As for the Mason jar, it would have to be lidded if I were to consider a trade.

Jul 3rd, '08, 05:08

Re: The Agrarian Ideal

by omegapd » Jul 3rd, '08, 05:08

Salsero wrote:Wow, Omegapd, you paint a bucolic scene worthy of the noblest pastoral poets of ancient Greece and Rome. They had similar values. Thanks for the words.
Thanks for the compliment, but I'm more of a William Faulkner kind of guy. :wink: That shouldn't surprise you much, huh?

I may update the picture in a day or two. It's much nicer out there now...

EW

Jul 3rd, '08, 06:13

by bi lew chun » Jul 3rd, '08, 06:13

Green grass, green tea--same thing, no?

Nah, just joshin you.

In celebration of a poll that green tea can finally win, I'll be obnoxious and post two pictures (of fukamushi supreme):

Jul 3rd, '08, 06:17

Re: 2005 Ming Yuan Hao Yiwu Wild Old Tree Cake

by bi lew chun » Jul 3rd, '08, 06:17

Salsero wrote:Also, in the second photo you will notice the paint on the yunomi is blue instead of green. That should give you a good sense of how much to trust photos.
I wish it were green. The lie is pretty.

Jul 3rd, '08, 06:22

by olivierco » Jul 3rd, '08, 06:22

Green tea of course.

Silver needles this morning, now houjicha karigane with my lunch.

Jul 3rd, '08, 06:41

by henley » Jul 3rd, '08, 06:41

bi lew chun wrote:
There's those pretty little white flowers again! Are they Stephanotis? They photograph very well & are striking against the dark background.

Jul 3rd, '08, 08:07

by TimeforTea » Jul 3rd, '08, 08:07

Green tea!

Enjoying a large glass of Den's green iced tea this morning.

Have a great day everyone!

Jul 3rd, '08, 08:22

Re: 2005 Ming Yuan Hao Yiwu Wild Old Tree Cake

by chrl42 » Jul 3rd, '08, 08:22

Salsero wrote:I hate these long puerh names. I know that hao means factory and Yiwu is a mountain or town. Let me resort to quoting from Lew Perin’s BabelCarp yet another time: “yiwu = (易武) town and mountain in Xishuangbanna. The town processes much of the Pu'er grown east of the Mekong, especially in You Le Shan, and many of the Han people of the town are descended from Wuyi tea traders.

If you’re like me, somewhere between the yiwu and the wuyi you get woozy. Oh heck, I just call it Spaghetti Tea because Guang said it felt like making spaghetti trying to get the long leaves into the pot. If you click on the picture, you will see some of those long dry leaves from this cake as well as the sansui pot with its hat on. The broad leaves under the chataku, btw, are my idea of an artful insouciance: they are not tea leaves, but bamboo leaves. They came wrapped around tea, but they themselves are just bamboo, probably another poisonous product of Nature. The leaves on the top of the chataku are tea leaves.

Also, in the second photo you will notice the paint on the yunomi is blue instead of green. That should give you a good sense of how much to trust photos.

Despite taking me two paragraphs to get this far, the tea was pretty good and the Japanese lidded sansui cup is fan-freakin-tabulous, baby! The flowers are from Trumpet Vines growing by the office. They are purported to be poisonous, so don’t mistake them for a teatime snack. Also, as they often are, these Trumpet Vine flowers were heavily occupied by ants. (**shudder**) So you see, there is no limit to the lengths Salsero Enterprises will go to bring you cutting edge designs.

For those with pointlessly long TeaChat memories, this cake was a Second Best Tea House selection way back in maybe March of 2007 … when MarshalN was spending a lot of time at The Best Tea House in Hong Kong and we locals here were jealous. Well, now he's somewhere in Ohio and there’s not that much to be jealous about. If I remember correctly, BearsBearsBears also visited that famous tea house around that time on his last marathon Tea Tour de China.
Just how many teawares does Salsero have at home? :shock:

Jul 3rd, '08, 08:24

by britt » Jul 3rd, '08, 08:24

Chip, good job on setting up this poll. It looks like we're gonna win this one by a landslide! Too bad the Ron Paul campaign wasn't this innovative.

Green tea, of course:

Uji Matcha Manten from O-Cha.com

Jul 3rd, '08, 08:34

by tseirPsaduJ » Jul 3rd, '08, 08:34

What does FTW mean? I never can remember all of the abbreviations.

'Green Eggs and Ham'! I love that book.

I had a dream that a swedish? (I cannot remember where she was supposed to be from, maybe she was finnish) girl was about to board a plane home and randomly decided she didn't like Sencha, so gave me her gallon ziplock full. The leaves were enormous. Then something happened and one of my friends turned into a loup garou and chased me to some remote place. It was weird and just as I was about to have my face ripped off whilst clutching the tea bag (which was now a minute sandwhich baggie), I woke up because I had to use the loo. Whoo fun dreams. I remember simultaneously thinking that since the dream was like a movie he should change back now because in movies they always do at sunrise, and also pondering how good the quality of this tea was, that was about to be scattered on my corpse. The quality of my tea was the last thought before I nearly died? haha. :D

Jul 3rd, '08, 08:35

by Aphroditea » Jul 3rd, '08, 08:35

Nicely played, King of Green!

I would like to say that I am going to have green tea this morning, but it will probably be my new Yellow Gold Orchid Oolong. :D
(which one of you got me addicted to Oolong?)

But, I promise to have green when I get home from work! :wink: