My oolong samples are here! Help!

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jul 3rd, '08, 19:27

My oolong samples are here! Help!

by Riene » Jul 3rd, '08, 19:27

The sample boxes of Adagio oolong have arrived! They are:

oolong #8
oolong #18
pouchong
ti kuan yin
peach oolong
almond oolong

I have six samples of blacks as well, but I'll save that for another thread.

I crave advice, o expert Oolongonians! Keeping in mind that I like my black teas strong, with a splash of milk and sugar, enjoy iced tea, and have a sweet tooth, what would you suggest? :shock: I have no idea where to begin with this.

I think my smallest brewing vessel is a glass Bodum press, but I also have a couple ceramic/porcelain pots. All are about about 1-2 cups in size. I have great-tasting well water--no chlorination--but it's hard water.

Help!

Jul 3rd, '08, 19:45

by RussianSoul » Jul 3rd, '08, 19:45

Congratulations on you samples, Reine!

Have you seen my reply to you here?

I am cross-posting on this thread as well:

well, I am fairly new myself, but I am learning from the best here. Victoria, Her Majesty the Queen of Oolongs, gave me the most invaluable advice on brewing Oolong Western style. Based on your current pots, Reine, that is the type of brewing you will be doing initially.

I differentiate my oolongs into green and oxidized (these look brown).

I brew green oolong with these parameters: 3g, 8oz, 180°F, 3m, 4m, 5m, 7m. I may do another one - the last - with boiling water and 10m.

For oxidized oolongs I use: 3g, 8oz, water just off boil, 3m, 4m, 5m. For Adagio oolongs I find 4th infusion too light to enjoy, so I don't go that far.

And yes, I am a techie - have scales, thermometer and timer. I think Her Majesty V. brews more by feel. But I will let her speak for herself.

Jul 3rd, '08, 20:08

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jul 3rd, '08, 20:08

Oolong #8 is one of my favorites from Adagio's line up. I use 2 to 3 teaspoons of leaf for 16oz of water, steeped at boiling for 5 minutes. I do the second steep also at boiling for 7 or 8 minutes.

The same parameters work well for the Peach Oolong too. My favorite for this tea is to steep it with either a small cinnamon stick or some slices of fresh ginger. It has a sweeter flavor and makes an excellent iced tea.

Good luck!

Jul 3rd, '08, 20:08

Re: My oolong samples are here! Help!

by henley » Jul 3rd, '08, 20:08

Riene wrote:The sample boxes of Adagio oolong have arrived! They are:
oolong #8
oolong #18
pouchong
ti kuan yin
peach oolong
almond oolong
Oolong #8 is one of my favorites & my tastes sound similar to yours regarding black tea. Some people will cringe when reading this, but I make it just like black (full boil) & let it steep 5 min. I use 1 tsp tea/cup of water & steep everything in porcelain teapots. I don't put any cream in the oolongs as they don't seem to need it w/the smoother flavor. If you like #8, try #40 next time. It's even better! :D

TKY suggestions are gonna be all over the temp & time range.

Pouchong is a new favorite. I use same measurements as above, 170* & steep 5 min. If I get the water too hot on green oolongs, they start getting that fishy taste/smell that I don't like about green teas.

Have fun playing. There's no right or wrong way -- just what tastes good to you! Let us know what you like.

Jul 3rd, '08, 20:12

by henley » Jul 3rd, '08, 20:12

Cinnamon Kitty wrote: The same parameters work well for the Peach Oolong too. My favorite for this tea is to steep it with either a small cinnamon stick...
Next time I place an order, I'll have to get a sample of the peach oolong. It's gotten great reviews here & adding the cinnamon stick to it just sounds yummy.

Jul 3rd, '08, 20:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jul 3rd, '08, 20:21

These five minute times are longer than I ever go, but I also probably use more leaf. I pour boiling water on eveything. Using cooler water on the lighter colored oolongs should give a little different flavor ... one way a bit more aromatic and floral, the other a bit more fruity and acidic.

I have never noticed the fishy (marine, seaweed, beach) flavor that Henley mentions, but if she says it's there, it is. Actually, now that I think about it, maybe I can get a sense of it ... I sort of like that flavor, but then I like greens too!

All of these teas are really pretty forgiving, so go wild and have a good time. Like Henley says, there is no wrong way.

Most important, GIVE US FEEDBACK... there is no substitute for first time impressions. You only get them once per tea per lifetime, except vicariously. A fresh outlook on a tea helps me find new things even in something I have been drinking a lot of.

Jul 3rd, '08, 20:44

by Riene » Jul 3rd, '08, 20:44

Thanks for the ideas!

How much leaf ought I use? The cute little tins have boiling temp and time suggestions, but not how much leaf to use. I don't happen to have a scale at home (can borrow one from work, but that's tomorrow and I can't bear NOT to try one of these tonight!)

A teaspoon per cup of water? Rounded teaspoon or level? A real measuring teaspoon or a regular spoon?

With black teas I can just "go for it," but I've never messed with oolongs and don't want to make it bitter the first time.
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Jul 3rd, '08, 20:46

by geeber1 » Jul 3rd, '08, 20:46

I was glad to see this thread as I just got some oolong samples also.

Reine, did you order the samples separately or did you order the sampler? I got the sampler and was a bit disappointed that two of the four tins were Jasmine, which reminds me of my grandma's perfume. I loved smelling it, but don't think I want to drink it. :) Next time I'm going to go for separate tins so my choices aren't left up to chance.

Have you tried any of them yet? I have some of the #8 from a previous order but haven't had a chance to give any of the others a try. The long weekend will be good for that.

I'm looking forward to reading your impressions, since I am a black tea drinker just venturing into oolongs also. It will be interesting to see if we have the same reactions!

Jul 3rd, '08, 20:49

by Victoria » Jul 3rd, '08, 20:49

I always go boiling (well just off boil - meaning let the bubbles settle for a few seconds) But only 3 minutes on all the above except for TKY, that I go 5 min.

You are going to get a lot of contradictions here. You need to try a few ways and see what you like. The bottom line is how it tastes to you. For example the very same tea prepared the way I absolutely love it, Henley would not like. And if Henley were to prepare the same tea for me her way, I would not like it. Yet, we both enjoy the same tea. The amount of leaf, steeping time, brewing vessel and even water type all effect the taste.

Peach Oolong is the best of the flavors in my opinion. The reason being that many oolongs have a subtle peachy note and so it is a natural enhancement. If you like flavored teas, you will probably like. But if you are wanting to learn the real flavor of oolongs, forget the flavors.

Everything else tastes artificial - to me. The best oolongs have full broad leaves and natural fruit and/or honey flavor on their own. That is the beauty of oolongs.

By the way - I have never sensed a fishy/marine taste with an oolong.
Everyone's taste and perception are so different!

Jul 3rd, '08, 20:51

by Victoria » Jul 3rd, '08, 20:51

Hi geeber1 ! !

I was just about to invite you over.
:)

I would like to set up some type of Oolong 101for newbies so they could be referred to a post to get info on trying out oolongs for the first time. This thread may serve that purpose though as it evolves.

I have written to Adagio to get their recommended brewing times and temps, so we all have a starting place.
Last edited by Victoria on Jul 3rd, '08, 20:55, edited 2 times in total.

Jul 3rd, '08, 20:53

by Riene » Jul 3rd, '08, 20:53

geeber1 wrote:I was glad to see this thread as I just got some oolong samples also.

Reine, did you order the samples separately or did you order the sampler? I got the sampler and was a bit disappointed that two of the four tins were Jasmine, which reminds me of my grandma's perfume. I loved smelling it, but don't think I want to drink it. :) Next time I'm going to go for separate tins so my choices aren't left up to chance.

Have you tried any of them yet? I have some of the #8 from a previous order but haven't had a chance to give any of the others a try. The long weekend will be good for that.

I'm looking forward to reading your impressions, since I am a black tea drinker just venturing into oolongs also. It will be interesting to see if we have the same reactions!
RussianSoul kindly suggested a few teas to start with, and I added the almond tea because the reviews sounded interesting. I'm really pleased at how quickly they arrived.

I hope I can provide some good reactions. I'm not one of those people who can detect undertones of currant, woodsmoke, blackberry, or whatever in wine. We'll see how the tea goes!
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Jul 3rd, '08, 21:03

by Victoria » Jul 3rd, '08, 21:03

Riene wrote:
RussianSoul kindly suggested a few teas to start with, and I added the almond tea because the reviews sounded interesting.
LOL, I guess you didn't read my review of the Almond Oolong.
:lol:

Jul 3rd, '08, 21:12

by henley » Jul 3rd, '08, 21:12

Riene wrote: A teaspoon per cup of water? Rounded teaspoon or level? A real measuring teaspoon or a regular spoon?
Just use your regular kitchen measuring spoons. Hubby got me a nice pewter set that I use just for my teas. Measure it like you do your blacks. For water temp, I pull the meat thermometer out of hubby's BBQ set. Guess you can tell I'm a real high-tech girl! :lol:

Hope you like the almond oolong better than I did. It went in the "my 5 yr old can have this one" stash. :oops:

Jul 3rd, '08, 22:23

by geeber1 » Jul 3rd, '08, 22:23

Oolong 101 is going to be fun!

Reine, I'm not good with the detailed nuances either, I just go for what tastes good. :)

Aren't we lucky to have such helpful and knowledgeable teachatters to teach us the "Way of the Oolong?"

Vera

Jul 4th, '08, 00:12

by elchai » Jul 4th, '08, 00:12

Well, Im glad to hear someone else has experienced that "fishy" taste from green tea. I had some green tea with my stepmom one time, and I could not drink it. And I couldn't bear to tell her it was nauseating. We had just come back from shopping at the china market. And I thought, wow I guess I'll stick to the green teabags! I was thinking this was the taste of the more "experienced" tea drinker. But, have never tasted that since, even when I have steeped too long. Maybe because the only loose green I have is the Green Spice, so it has a little flavor.

Anyhoo, Im looking forward to trying the Oolongs myself! :D

+ Post Reply