My oolong samples are here! Help!

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jul 4th, '08, 00:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jul 4th, '08, 00:57

Victoria wrote: ... the very same tea prepared the way I absolutely love it, Henley would not like. And if Henley were to prepare the same tea for me her way, I would not like it ...
Strictly speaking, this is not a brewing issue so much as a matter of having too many X chromosomes.

Jul 4th, '08, 01:21

by Salsero » Jul 4th, '08, 01:21

elchai wrote:Im glad to hear someone else has experienced that "fishy" taste from green tea.
Actually, what you are describing as a fishy taste may be umami, the so called fifth taste along with bitter, sweet, sour, and salty. Umami is an important flavor component of most protein-rich foods, but it tends to be especially salient in seaweed, broth, and Japanese green tea. ABx also suggests HERE that the more viscous Taiwan gao shan also have high levels of umami, especially those from the Jin Xuan or Golden Lily cultivar. Personally I can't recognize it in the gao shans, but that may be more a result of my brewing technique or expectations.

Jul 5th, '08, 11:01

by Riene » Jul 5th, '08, 11:01

Peach oolong

One spoonful/6oz water just before boiling, 3 minutes' steeping time. I found myself wondering if it was enough tea, because it looked so pale. As a long-time black tea drinker, I had to keep reminding myself that this would be different.

I like the aroma; it's sweet and fruity. Taste is sweet at first, tea-ish on tongue, and sweet again after swallowing. I wonder how much of the sweetness is just the aroma, though? I can drink this without sugar. The leaves look dark green and chopped.

With a bit of sugar, this might make an interesting water replacement in cooking. Hmm.

Havent' tried a second steep yet.
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Jul 5th, '08, 12:51

by geeber1 » Jul 5th, '08, 12:51

Riene,

The peach oolong sounds good! I've been drinking ginger peach tea that has a ceylon base and really like it. (the only flavored tea I have liked so far). I also have a peach oolong sample, I might try it later this evening when it's not a million degrees outside.

I brewed some Oolong #8 yesterday morning and it looked really light in the cup also, but it had a lot of flavor, I was surprised! It tasted good, less strong than black tea, but not grassy like green.

Jul 5th, '08, 13:15

by Victoria » Jul 5th, '08, 13:15

Riene wrote:Peach oolong

One spoonful/6oz water just before boiling, 3 minutes' steeping time. I found myself wondering if it was enough tea, because it looked so pale. As a long-time black tea drinker, I had to keep reminding myself that this would be different.

I like the aroma; it's sweet and fruity. Taste is sweet at first, tea-ish on tongue, and sweet again after swallowing. I wonder how much of the sweetness is just the aroma, though? I can drink this without sugar. The leaves look dark green and chopped.

With a bit of sugar, this might make an interesting water replacement in cooking. Hmm.

Havent' tried a second steep yet.
A little sweetener will bring out the flavor, yes. You have to remember that flowered teas don't always use the best quality leaves, because the flavoring is going to cover up a lot of the taste. That is why I don't recommend flavored oolong for those just learning oolongs. You are not getting a true representation of an oolong.

Jul 7th, '08, 18:27

by Riene » Jul 7th, '08, 18:27

:D I like the Oolong #8 really well. It's like a milder version of my beloved black tea! I used the Bodum press with a cup of water and a heaping spoonful of the leaves. I let it steep for about five minutes. t's darker than I thought it would be (maybe due to leaf content), but it's good. I'm drinking it with a bit of sugar...I have a sweet tooth. :oops: Definitely will make this one again!
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Jul 7th, '08, 19:23

by henley » Jul 7th, '08, 19:23

Riene wrote::D I like the Oolong #8 really well. It's like a milder version of my beloved black tea! I used the Bodum press with a cup of water and a heaping spoonful of the leaves. I let it steep for about five minutes. t's darker than I thought it would be (maybe due to leaf content), but it's good. I'm drinking it with a bit of sugar...I have a sweet tooth. :oops: Definitely will make this one again!
Glad you enjoyed the Oolong #8!!! :D :D :D If it was too dark/rich, try a level tsp instead of heaping next time. I'm currently out of #8 but you've got me wanting a cuppa #40. Gone to make some tea!

Jul 7th, '08, 19:34

by Victoria » Jul 7th, '08, 19:34

Riene wrote::D I like the Oolong #8 really well. It's like a milder version of my beloved black tea! I used the Bodum press with a cup of water and a heaping spoonful of the leaves. I let it steep for about five minutes. t's darker than I thought it would be (maybe due to leaf content), but it's good. I'm drinking it with a bit of sugar...I have a sweet tooth. :oops: Definitely will make this one again!
Wow, I love #8 too! See I knew it could happen.
:wink:
Wonders never cease.

Jul 7th, '08, 22:34

by elchai » Jul 7th, '08, 22:34

Well, I got some #8 and #40 today from Henley that I will try tomorrow. Henley, I hope you didn't send me what was left of your #8, now that your out! :oops: But, thank you very much for your kindness! :wink:

Jul 7th, '08, 23:13

by henley » Jul 7th, '08, 23:13

elchai wrote:Henley, I hope you didn't send me what was left of your #8, now that your out! :oops: But, thank you very much for your kindness! :wink:
If you could see what I have here, you'd know not to worry about me! :lol: I can't get all the tea in the tea drawer so it's spilled over to the kitchen counter & the dining room table. :oops: Time to reorganize the tea drawer -- especially before the oolong box pass gets here!

Jul 8th, '08, 00:16

by geeber1 » Jul 8th, '08, 00:16

I tried the TKY and the Pouchong this weekend. I don't know if it's inexperienced brewing or what, but I didn't like it all that much. The TKY tasted better to me the second time I steeped it.

I discovered that I had a little Hall teapot and brewed them in that, would that have made a difference?

Tonight I tried the peach oolong and liked that and I also like the #8. Maybe I still have a leaning toward the "darker" teas? I'm going to give the others another try this week.

Jul 8th, '08, 08:36

by henley » Jul 8th, '08, 08:36

geeber1 wrote:I tried the TKY and the Pouchong this weekend. I don't know if it's inexperienced brewing or what, but I didn't like it all that much. The TKY tasted better to me the second time I steeped it.
You might try lowering your water temp. I'm the exception to this rule but I steep green oolongs lower than recommended -- 150* for TKY & 160*-170* for Pouchong.

Jul 8th, '08, 10:33

by geeber1 » Jul 8th, '08, 10:33

I'll try that, thanks Henley!

Jul 9th, '08, 18:06

by puerhking » Jul 9th, '08, 18:06

wow those are some long brew times. my tgy brew times using gaiwan would be like 45 seconds.

does anyone else rinse their leaves with cool water after brewing? this preserves the floral notes a bit longer.

Aug 5th, '08, 20:17

by Riene » Aug 5th, '08, 20:17

Oolong report:

Oolong #8 is wonderful, love the stuff. It's like black tea but smoother, milder.

Ti kuan yin--vile, absolutely undrinkable. It has such a strong aroma of flowers--like decaying roses--that it nearly gave me a headache. I managed 2-3 sips before deciding that this would never be opened again. Is this a jasmine flavoring, or is it just the way the leaves naturally are?

Pouchong--still way too floral for my tastes. Drinkable, milder than the ti kuan yin, but will never be a favorite.

Peach, almond--ok. A bit sweet, feels a little oily in the mouth, but okay.

Anyone want my sample tin of TKY?

+ Post Reply