Can anybody recommend a pu erh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 4th, '08, 09:58

Can anybody recommend a pu erh

by Scutworker » Jun 4th, '08, 09:58

I recently tried, and loved, a sample of:

2000 Cheng Guang-He Tang "Yi Wu Yieh Sheng" Brick

from Hou de Asian Art.

I would like to buy a full cake of this, but see they are out of stock.

Does anybody know where I can get one, or alternativly, can recommend a similar
pu erh?

Thanks.

Jun 4th, '08, 11:47

Re: Can anybody recommend a pu erh

by hop_goblin » Jun 4th, '08, 11:47

Scutworker wrote:I recently tried, and loved, a sample of:

2000 Cheng Guang-He Tang "Yi Wu Yieh Sheng" Brick

from Hou de Asian Art.

I would like to buy a full cake of this, but see they are out of stock.

Does anybody know where I can get one, or alternativly, can recommend a similar
pu erh?

Thanks.
I liked that brick as well. However, finding this same brick will certainly be a challenge in the U.S. You will need to search for it online. Try Ebay Malaysia, Taiwan etc.

You should be safe buying any pre-2000 Yiwu product as it was produced before the pu-erh craze. However, do becareful if and when you do purchase as their are many fakes on the market. This particular beeng may interest you.

http://www.generationtea.com/store/prod ... cts_id=392

Jul 4th, '08, 15:37

by heavydoom » Jul 4th, '08, 15:37

get this baby for 58 usd, only 9 left now, since i got the 10th.

2000 * Long Yuan Hao * Yi Wu Mountain Raw Pu-erh tea

i just had some over at my brother's place and the tea was amazingly smooth with a very strong aftertaste on the tongue and the throat, very soothing indeed. a bit pricey for some but this thing has aged for about 8 years, so you can drink it now and have a nice buzz. i totally recommend this cake. i got one for myself.

Jul 4th, '08, 16:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jul 4th, '08, 16:01

heavydoom wrote: 2000 * Long Yuan Hao * Yi Wu Mountain Raw Pu-erh tea
I had a sample of this one last year and also liked it, though my enthusiasm is not quite as boundless as Heavydoom's. :lol: I may have to add it to my shopping list.

Jul 4th, '08, 16:14

by heavydoom » Jul 4th, '08, 16:14

well, you see, i am about to make a huge order with yunnan sourcing so i might as well.

this is what i am getting from yunnan sourcing :

- Haiwan * Certified Organic * Pasha Mountain Pu-erh Tea

- 2006 Haiwan Remote Mountain Ancient Tree Pu-erh Tea

- 2006 Mengku * Big Snow Mountain * Wild Raw Pu-erh Tea

- 2007 Mengku * 1974 * Premium Raw Pu-eh tea cake * 500g

- 2008 Mengku * Bing Dao Spring Cake * Premium Pu-erh tea

- 2006 Mengku * Wild Arbor King * Raw Pu-erh brick 1000g

- 2004 Deng Xiaoping 100th Anniv Dadugang Raw Pu-erh Tea

- 2007 Hai Lang Hao * Bu Lang Mountain Wild Arbor Pu-erh

- 2004 Ron-Zhen * Camellia Flower and Raw Pu-erh Tea Cake

- 2007 * Xiaguan "FT" #4 Premium Raw Pu-erh tea * 400g

- 2005 Yong De * 100% Wild Arbor Raw Pu-erh tea brick

- 2002 CNNP * Bing Dao of Mengku * Raw Pu-erh tea cake
Last edited by heavydoom on Jul 6th, '08, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 4th, '08, 18:29

by Salsero » Jul 4th, '08, 18:29

heavydoom wrote:well, you see, i am about to make a huge order with yunnan sourcing so i might as well.
Wow, that is very exciting. The only one of those that I have is the Xiaguan "FT" #4 and it is good, a bit rough now, but I think it will age nicely. Course, now that you have made this announcement, you realize, we will be hoping for some notes about each of these as you try them!

How did you settle on these particular teas?

Jul 4th, '08, 19:24

by Victoria » Jul 4th, '08, 19:24

Wow HD, that's a big order! After looking up some of your items and reading the descriptions, I want to order too.

Although as a total newbie who knows nothing about puerh, I do know that 2007 was not a good year for many teas. The way puerh is processed and then aged may change all that, but I'm just sayin'.

Both of these look good to me as well as the mini tuo

2006 Haiwan Remote Mountain Ancient Tree Pu-erh Tea
Haiwan * Certified Organic * Pasha Mountain Pu-erh Tea

Jul 4th, '08, 20:26

by heavydoom » Jul 4th, '08, 20:26

i went over each listing, read what scott had to say and also went by my gut feeling, the pics also helped a lot. in this order, i wanted to buy some premium pu, also some pu that had aged a bit so that i can drink them now a bit at a time.

i have had some great teas from the mengku factory and the haiwan factory so i went out and got some more, i also wanted some unusual pu so i went to get that one with the flowers in it.

i think more people should stock up on the mengku stuff and the haiwan stuff. i know most go for the bigger and more well known factories like menghai and cnnp but we should not forget the other smaller ones that make just as good teas as the others. trust me , i have some menghai products too. spread the love.

Jul 4th, '08, 20:33

by heavydoom » Jul 4th, '08, 20:33

Victoria wrote:Wow HD, that's a big order! After looking up some of your items and reading the descriptions, I want to order too.

Although as a total newbie who knows nothing about puerh, I do know that 2007 was not a good year for many teas. The way puerh is processed and then aged may change all that, but I'm just sayin'.

Both of these look good to me as well as the mini tuo

2006 Haiwan Remote Mountain Ancient Tree Pu-erh Tea
Haiwan * Certified Organic * Pasha Mountain Pu-erh Tea
vic

if you had to get one item out of my list, get that 1 kg brick by mengku. so worth it, you can drink it now and it is super smooth, and you can also save it for aging. there is a cheaper cake of the same leaves but of 2007. also look into this haiwan purple bud cake, it is superb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Haiwan-Pure-Pu ... m153.l1262

2006 Haiwan Tea Factory * Purple Bud Raw Pu-erh Tea Cake * 357 grams

Purplish Red Bud Tea Description
Supervised by Zou Bing Liang

(on left: Jia Jia - Yunnan province famous trademark)

Yunnan pu-erh tea grows in the superior environment of low latitude, high altitude South Asian tropics and achieves many qualities of superior tea. Among pu-erh tea, purplish red bud tea is particularly valued.

During the hot, humid summer and fall seasons a portion of tea tree buds are purplish red colored. The source of the color is anthocyanin, which changes color along with cell sap acidity. High levels of acidity lead to red color, while medium acidity is more purple, and high alkalinity tends toward indigo. Anthocanin is a phenol material, and along with catechin is an important component in the medicinal effect of tea. Purplish red tea results from an inheritied reaction to unfavorable hot and humid summer environmental conditions, providing the tea tree with a mechanism for fighting scorching ultraviolet rays.

Pu-erh tea growing areas tend to be between 1000 and 2000m elevation. According to surveys, higher altitude tea growing areas receive as much as 8 times the ultraviolet light of lower altitude growing areas. During the dry spring tea season, the atmosphere tends to be quite dusty which serves to reflect, scatter, and absorb most ultraviolet light. Entering into the rainy season, atmospheric dust is frequently washed away by rain. These clean, clear atmospheric conditions allow virtually all UV light reach the surface. In order to resist damage from this shortwave radiation, tea leaves produce anthocyanin, which can reflect away a portion of the UV light hitting the leaves. Although a southern Yunnan tea field during the high of the summer is a sea of green, most eye-catching are the specks of purplish-red scattered throughout. Purple bud tea trees occupy approximately 1-2% of all tea trees, and occur with varying intensities of purple.

Purplish red bud tea has throughout history been regarded as a standard for quality tea. Lu Yu in the "Cha Jing" evaluating the color of tea leaves, came to the early conclusion: "bright cliffs and gloomy forests, purple is the highest and green the second". Purple tea features prominent fragrance and rich flavor. A small number of tea trees growing on the rocky slopes of Fujian's Zhengyi mountain, because of their red color, are given the famous name Da Hong Pao. It is believed this tea has the special ability to treat headaches. Another historically famous purple tea is Zhejiang province's Guzhu Zisun.

some more mini reviews shall be forthcoming in the near future. maybe.

Jul 4th, '08, 21:37

by Victoria » Jul 4th, '08, 21:37

Thank you so much! Yes I was looking at that one but this wording scared me off a little:

"Purple bud tea anthocyanin can be bitter, so it is recommended that those who do not enjoy bitter flavors reduce the strength of their brew so as to enjoy the fine tea flavor."

So you own one of these and have tried it?

These mini tuo are so tempting:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=016

I know they have a bad rep in general, but YS is stating these are premium.

Jul 4th, '08, 22:23

by hop_goblin » Jul 4th, '08, 22:23

heavydoom wrote: i think more people should stock up on the mengku stuff and the haiwan stuff. i know most go for the bigger and more well known factories like menghai and cnnp but we should not forget the other smaller ones that make just as good teas as the others. trust me , i have some menghai products too. spread the love.
Heavy, MengKu and Haiwan are not small factories. Although smaller than XiaGuan and Menghai Dayi, they are still relatively a good size. Additionally,the CNNP is not a factory perse, it is a governmental organization that oversees pu-erh manufactoring. In fact, Haiwan is part of the CNNP and has a factory number designation of number 8 I believe.

Jul 5th, '08, 00:05

by heavydoom » Jul 5th, '08, 00:05

hop_goblin wrote:
heavydoom wrote: i think more people should stock up on the mengku stuff and the haiwan stuff. i know most go for the bigger and more well known factories like menghai and cnnp but we should not forget the other smaller ones that make just as good teas as the others. trust me , i have some menghai products too. spread the love.
Heavy, MengKu and Haiwan are not small factories. Although smaller than XiaGuan and Menghai Dayi, they are still relatively a good size. Additionally,the CNNP is not a factory perse, it is a governmental organization that oversees pu-erh manufactoring. In fact, Haiwan is part of the CNNP and has a factory number designation of number 8 I believe.

i appreciate the info, thanks. and yeah, haiwan is factory number 8. i got this 7578 cooked caked recipe. i am learning as i go. :lol:

Jul 5th, '08, 00:07

by heavydoom » Jul 5th, '08, 00:07

Victoria wrote:Thank you so much! Yes I was looking at that one but this wording scared me off a little:

"Purple bud tea anthocyanin can be bitter, so it is recommended that those who do not enjoy bitter flavors reduce the strength of their brew so as to enjoy the fine tea flavor."

So you own one of these and have tried it?

These mini tuo are so tempting:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=016

I know they have a bad rep in general, but YS is stating these are premium.
vic

with that purple bud cake, i would suggest rinsing it two times at 10 secs each time, then drink it afterwards. or, age it a bit more. i had something similar, purple bud, and yeah, the taste can be bitter, i would also suggest using small amounts but to brew this longer.

Jul 5th, '08, 00:18

by hop_goblin » Jul 5th, '08, 00:18

heavydoom wrote:
hop_goblin wrote:

i appreciate the info, thanks. and yeah, haiwan is factory number 8. i got this 7578 cooked caked recipe. i am learning as i go. :lol:
Anytime. Pu-erh is damn confusing! :lol:

Jul 5th, '08, 00:58

by Salsero » Jul 5th, '08, 00:58

hop_goblin wrote: Pu-erh is damn confusing!
Damn straight!

+ Post Reply