Making Iced tea

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

Dec 28th, '05, 21:37

Making Iced tea

by Snow on Cedar » Dec 28th, '05, 21:37

Why do you brew it double strength and then dilute it? Couldn't you just brew it regular strength and put it on ice? I'm hoping to attempt making Iced Tea with my coming adagio order of Strawberry, and I just wanted to understand the whys a little more :D
Humans are a dangerous breed...just look at what they do to each other.

Dec 28th, '05, 22:07

Re: Making Iced tea

by Mike B » Dec 28th, '05, 22:07

Snow on Cedar wrote:Why do you brew it double strength and then dilute it? Couldn't you just brew it regular strength and put it on ice? I'm hoping to attempt making Iced Tea with my coming adagio order of Strawberry, and I just wanted to understand the whys a little more :D
If you don't make it double strength, then the ice from the iced tea will dilute it. Then, all you have is wasted tea and tinted water.

Dec 28th, '05, 22:24

Oops

by Snow on Cedar » Dec 28th, '05, 22:24

I think I didn't make myself clear. What I meant was why not brew a pot of tea the way you normally would, then refrigerate it to cool it, then just put a couple of cubes in your glass when you take it out? Is it just a quantity issue? Thanks!
Humans are a dangerous breed...just look at what they do to each other.

Feb 6th, '06, 01:57

by TeaFanatic » Feb 6th, '06, 01:57

I think, and don't take my word on this, that tea looses its flavor when cooled slowly. That's why you normally put it over ice so that it is instantly cooled. Not quite sure though.
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

Feb 6th, '06, 09:27

by rhpot1991 » Feb 6th, '06, 09:27

TeaFanatic wrote:I think, and don't take my word on this, that tea looses its flavor when cooled slowly. That's why you normally put it over ice so that it is instantly cooled. Not quite sure though.
The way I understand it, tea gets cloudy if shocked. I have always let my iced tea cool to room temp before diluting it and tossing it in the fridge. Though if I want to drink it right away I use ice.

-John

+ Post Reply