Fanatical Wednesday 7/09/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Are you fanatical about cleaning your teaware?

Extremely, I thoroughly wash and descale after each use
8%
Pretty much, I wash and descale frequently
19%
Maybe, I wash and descale at least once a week
35%
No, not really...I have teaware issues
25%
Definitely not...think mold, stalagmites and stalactites
No votes
Other
13%

Total votes: 52

Jul 9th, '08, 04:02
Scrolling: scrolling

Fanatical Wednesday 7/09/08

by Chip » Jul 9th, '08, 04:02

Yesterday, TeaChatters indicated they were not too fanatical about keeping their tea as fresh as possible, but reading their responses left me wondering. You can still vote and discuss this topic.

Welcome everyone to fanatical Wednesday. Shall we brew and share what is in our cups today...all day?

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic is about our teaware cleaning habits. This is an oft discussed subject here on TeaChat...dealing with scale and how to clean our different teawares. But how fanatical are you...and why or why not. What steps do you take to keep your teaware clean so your tea tastes as good as it gets?

I am as always looking forward to sharing TeaDay with everyone. Sooo, bottoms up. refill, repeat...

Jul 9th, '08, 04:20

1996 "Orange in Orange"

by Salsero » Jul 9th, '08, 04:20

Once I had my way with the branch of Chaste Tree flowers that I posted in the June 10th TeaDay, they sat neglected in the bud vase and seem to have dried out. They make a nice impression even long dead … so I have featured them again in their shriveled state.

I just hope that the little tea tray doesn’t slide off and make a mess.

The tea is 1996 Menghai Tea Factory, #7532, called “Orange in Orange.” Oddly, the nickname doesn't derive from the tea itself but rather from a feature of the wrapper. In its best moments, it is very sweet with a hint of caramel, sherry and very ripe cherries. I’ve brewed this tea three times now, and once noted a fishy taste in one of the infusions and often woodsy aromas. As in most adolescent sheng, astringency Is not an issue, and in this tea I found little viscosity or aftertaste. The longest I lasted with this tea was 13 infusions, from very brief up to maybe 8 minutes. I don’t go for the overnight steeps like some people do.

For a more romantic view, click on the photo.

Jul 9th, '08, 04:28

by criteaque » Jul 9th, '08, 04:28

Thanks for reminding me to clean mine :oops:

Jul 9th, '08, 04:40

by chrl42 » Jul 9th, '08, 04:40

I picked the top.

Using yixing teapots, it's more likely to leave a stain if not being 'very' fanatical.
I polish and wipe with a towel after each use, like in ancient and medieval time in Asia wiping a jade to shine was major labor for the nobilities..

Jul 9th, '08, 04:49

by omegapd » Jul 9th, '08, 04:49

My teaware, at the very least, gets rinsed out after every use. I wouldn't say I was fanatical about it, but I don't let leaves sit around in the pot for long...

Having some Teavana Sweet Cranberry black tea this morning at work compliments of kymidwife. It's not bad, but nowhere near as good as her Adagio Signature Blend that mimics this stuff...

EW

Jul 9th, '08, 05:20

by bi lew chun » Jul 9th, '08, 05:20

Last week I took a toothbrush to a little stain on the underside of a gaiwan, but I've never descaled. My teaware stays pretty clean with regular rinsing after use.

Jul 9th, '08, 05:21

by olivierco » Jul 9th, '08, 05:21

I am not fanatical but I clean it after each use (hot water and towel) and descale it when needed.
So I chose the "Maybe, I wash and descale at least once a week" option.

This morning Darjeeling Puttabong SFTGFOP1
Now Houjicha with my lunch.

Jul 9th, '08, 07:29

by Victoria » Jul 9th, '08, 07:29

Well using mostly glass I easily pop everyday's teaware right
into the dishwasher. But I do like to descale my kettle quite often.

Lovely photo Sal, love that purple. I have some purple statice dried flowers in my kitchen that have held up quite nicely since May.

Jul 9th, '08, 07:37

by laran7 » Jul 9th, '08, 07:37

"In Japan the natural mineral layer buildup inside a tetsubin is considered to be good for the health and helps to prevent rust from forming inside"
www.holymtn.com/teapots/tetsubin

I use Evian water - and it builds up annoyingly. I "descale" , but not obsessively -

:oops:

Jul 9th, '08, 07:50

by kymidwife » Jul 9th, '08, 07:50

I don't have any fancy traditional teapots, so I mostly clean in the dishwasher. I use a Teavana's "Perfect Teamaker" 32 oz. and also a plain clear glass teapot, both of which are dishwasher-safe. I rinse them after each use, and I run them through the dishwasher about once a week.

One interesting thing I learned about the Perfect Teamaker which might be of use to anyone using one of this kind with the built-in filter... one of the issues people sometimes have is difficulty in cleaning the filter thoroughly in order to eliminate flavors/odors between types of teas. I, being a newbie dimwit, unthinkingly put Lapsang Souchong in mine.... NOT a good idea. I ran it through the dishwasher... no good. I soaked it overnight with hot water and a bit of bleach... still smelled smoky. Then I tried baking soda and hot water, and Presto! It worked.

So now, I clean it this way after any strongly flavored/fragranced tea.

But no, I'm not a fanatic. :shock:

Drinking my 3rd infusion of TKY from last night's leaves. Still yummy.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jul 9th, '08, 08:23

by brandon » Jul 9th, '08, 08:23

I am not so much for "cleaning". Every few weeks I will scrub the gaiwan and other porcelain wares with some soap to remove stains, but as for most clay pots, I dump the old leaves out and then rinse in the sink for a bit before leaving it to dry. Occasionally (like when I leave leaf in for too long) I will sanitize a pot by filling it completely with boiling water and leaving for a few minutes. The kettle is also descaled every few weeks, using the Mother Mary Vinegar method.

Jul 9th, '08, 08:52

by Carnelian » Jul 9th, '08, 08:52

I typically rinse my teaware thouroughly after each use, giving them a baking soda wash when stains become problematic. I've never had scale build up on my teaware, so I can't say how often I clean that.
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

Jul 9th, '08, 09:03

by Riene » Jul 9th, '08, 09:03

We have extremely hard water here, so I have to descale my teakettle about once a week, and less often in the pots.
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Jul 9th, '08, 09:13

by olivierco » Jul 9th, '08, 09:13

Silver needles right now

Jul 9th, '08, 09:35

by Victoria » Jul 9th, '08, 09:35

This morning's brew - Tao of Tea AliShan

Have a nice day everyone!