My favorite Pu-erh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 10th, '08, 02:56

My favorite Pu-erh

by Catsgurleygirl » Jul 10th, '08, 02:56

I am actually surprised that I enjoy pu-erh because sometimes eating mushrooms gross me out. My favorite Pu-erh is Celestial Tribute from Upton's. I also have their ancient maiden, but the CT really does it for me. I usually brew it for about 7 minutes give or take a few; I haven't noticed a big difference if I let brew a little longer than that. To me, CT has a rich, thick, earthy mouth feel and finishes on a sweet note. Have any of you had CT? If you have, is there another like it that you would recommend? Also, is Pu-erh a tea that you can resteep or does it give you everything it's got in the first brew? Oh, and what is this "buzz" I keep hearing about from pu-erh drinking---I want a buzz too!!!

Thanks

Amanda

Jul 10th, '08, 07:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Jul 10th, '08, 07:41

A word on "tribute" pu erh:

A shu or "cooked" puerh such as this is artificially fermented at a very high humidity before being sold. Depending on the quality of the leaves and the skill of the tea factory, this can leave some unwanted tastes that mellow after a few years. Upton does not list the age, but I like to drink shu that is at least 2 years old.

A Tribute or Gong Ting puerh usually means that high quality leaves were used in the production, and that a significantly longer period of artificial fermentation has taken place. This results in a richer, sweeter cup (not to say you cannot find this quality in other cooked puerh). Gong ting is often sold loose, but can also be compressed into cakes (beengs) or bricks.

2004 Loose Leaf Imperial Pu-erh Tea < I have not tried this one personally
http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... 8057878490

2006 Changtai Banna Tuocha < one of my favorites, NOT gong ting grade but yummy anyway
http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... 8057878490

Unfortunately samples of the Yunmei cake are no longer available (a 400g cake is not very advantageous for a tea you've never tried).

Jul 10th, '08, 11:45

by Wesli » Jul 10th, '08, 11:45

I re-steep my shu around 8 times, but with steepings of just a few seconds. If you switch over to the short steeps, multiple infusions, you might get some of that chaqi (or "buzz").

Just as an fyi, I've drunk a lot of shu, and judging by what I've seen on the upton site, I wouldn't go anywhere near that CT. :shock: No offense at all, I've drunk and enjoyed stuff that could be well worse than it.

Jul 10th, '08, 20:04

by Catsgurleygirl » Jul 10th, '08, 20:04

Hmmm, so I am a big pu-erh loser huh! Lol, I knew I was in over my head--alas that is part of the reason why I joined this forum--edjumikation. So you have piqued my curiosity--why wouldn't you go near Upton's Pu? What do you like and where do you get it? See I thought I had found a happy medium between Todd and Holland and boutique tea--I want the scoop!

Brandon, thanks for explaining a little about the differences in pu'erh. I am going to check out the links you gave me. Honestly, I am surprised at how cheap those prices are from your pu'erh recommendations. Upton's CT was 16.40 for 125g.

Thanks guys!

Amanda

Jul 10th, '08, 20:13

by hop_goblin » Jul 10th, '08, 20:13

Catsgurleygirl wrote:Hmmm, so I am a big pu-erh loser huh! Lol, I knew I was in over my head--alas that is part of the reason why I joined this forum--edjumikation. So you have piqued my curiosity--why wouldn't you go near Upton's Pu? What do you like and where do you get it? See I thought I had found a happy medium between Todd and Holland and boutique tea--I want the scoop!

Brandon, thanks for explaining a little about the differences in pu'erh. I am going to check out the links you gave me. Honestly, I am surprised at how cheap those prices are from your pu'erh recommendations. Upton's CT was 16.40 for 125g.

Thanks guys!

Amanda
Hey Cats, there are no rules.. If you enjoy it you enjoy it!

Jul 10th, '08, 21:28

by augie » Jul 10th, '08, 21:28

Catsgurleygirl wrote:Hmmm, so I am a big pu-erh loser huh! Lol,
No, no, no!!! It just takes time to find a good vendor. And ordering from upton gives you some basis for comparison! :wink: Some of the big Pu Heads on this thread have been drinking a long time and have a lot of discretionary income! You should see the stash Hop has in his closet! It makes my heart race.
CGG wrote:Upton's Pu? What do you like and where do you get it? See I thought I had found a happy medium between Todd and Holland and boutique tea--I want the scoop!
I second puehrshop. They have a good pu selection, never got hosed buying from him. So does Yunan Sourcing, which is an e-bay vendor that I have not yet tried myself, but heard much positive mention of. My first Pu (cooked) was from Red Blossom Tea, which I still have.
CGG wrote: Upton's CT was 16.40 for 125g.
It's all over the place! You can pay a lot for crap. You can buy a cheap cake, thinking it's junk and it's awesome. Also, everyone's perception of taste varies. That probably didn't help, did it?

As for the "buzz" you're searching for. It's not like a caffeine buzz, euphoria from a fine liquor, or the first few drags off a good cigarette. For me, it's more like crystal mental clarity with the compulsion to drink more. And no crash 30 minutes to an hour later. I feel joyous, even if I'm having a sh%t day at work (which is now most every day).

I drink mostly shu and "J" and I will brew several infusions off a chunk of cake all night. I usually brew first infusion at just off-boil for 40 sec - 1 minute. I dump the first infusion and drink the second.

Hang in there!

Jul 10th, '08, 23:11

by Catsgurleygirl » Jul 10th, '08, 23:11

Thanks for all the help, I want it!!

BTW, I hope you all know I was being very light hearted about being a Pu loser :lol: ! My humor can be a little dry sometimes. One of the things that attracted me to this forum was the fact that it seems like you guys can explain things and even tease about them without making you feel foolish.

Jul 11th, '08, 12:00

by augie » Jul 11th, '08, 12:00

Catsgurleygirl wrote:BTW, I hope you all know I was being very light hearted about being a Pu loser :lol: ! My humor can be a little dry sometimes.
IKWYM. I am a pu ehr looser! LOL

Buy and drink what you like. What Wesley meant was that once you're helplessly hooked, you won't have anything to do with Upton Tea Pu other than their cool newsletter.

+ Post Reply