2 simple forum improvement suggestions

We're always open to a little constructive criticism.

Jul 14th, '08, 00:43

2 simple forum improvement suggestions

by tenuki » Jul 14th, '08, 00:43

1) Get the daily subforum out of search:
It's so annoying trying to find _anything_ nowdays, used to be a search for something simple and tea related like 'darjeeling' would turn up something useful, now it's just a bunch of chatter about daily life and oh I drank some darjeeling and blah blah unrelated to tea. Like, who really cares to read that when you are searching for information about darjeeling? Is there any way to exclude the whole daily cup subforum from the site search? My internet is getting clogged, first the bloggers, now this.
2) Make a more intelligent paginator.
That is a UI issue, I can't remember the last time I wrote a paginator that didn't have a variable window, auto-focusing 'lumping' mechanism, ie give n links, the end links are more granular an the middle are in larger lumps, and the 'focus/magnification' follows the active page.

example, to start:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 [6-10], [11-20], [21-30], [31-35], 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

and if you are on page 30....

[1-10], [11-20], [21-26], 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, [33-35], [36-40]

Jul 14th, '08, 00:52
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 14th, '08, 00:52

Not a panacea, but if you click on the actual search icon in the upper left of the page, you can already narrow your search, so for instance in your example, darjeeling, you can specify the Category you want to search such as Tea and Teaware...or a specific Forum such as Black Tea. This obviously would eliminate TeaDay if you wanted to.

This does not help with the pages though.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 14th, '08, 00:56

by tenuki » Jul 14th, '08, 00:56

Chip wrote:Not a panacea, but if you click on the actual search icon in the upper left of the page, you can already narrow your search, so for instance in your example, darjeeling, you can specify the Category you want to search such as Tea and Teaware...or a specific Forum such as Black Tea. This obviously would eliminate TeaDay if you wanted to.

This does not help with the pages though.
Actually I know about the targeted search, but it only allows you to search one forum at a time. A lot of info is scattered throughout different forums, do a search on 'darjeeling' and see what I mean. Just a checkbox that would remove the daily from the search is what I want, I still want to search the whole forum, just cut out the noisy chatter on daily.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jul 14th, '08, 00:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 14th, '08, 00:58

tenuki wrote:
Actually I know about the targeted search, but it only allows you to search one forum at a time. A lot of info is scattered throughout different forums, do a search on 'darjeeling' and see what I mean. Just a checkbox that would remove the daily from the search is what I want, I still want to search the whole forum, just cut out the noisy chatter on daily.
Actually, you can do a whole category...Tea and Teaware Category is a huge segment of the forum for instance...I understand what you are saying.

I just did this with Darjeeling and it pulled up a lot of useful info.

Jul 14th, '08, 01:07

by tenuki » Jul 14th, '08, 01:07

Chip wrote:.... it pulled up a lot of useful info.
Woudln't it be sooo cool if it did that by default...
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

+ Post Reply