Recycle sample tins?

We're always open to a little constructive criticism.

Dec 31st, '05, 08:20

Recycle sample tins?

by seashell » Dec 31st, '05, 08:20

I love the sample tins but don't have a use for them once the tea is gone. I did give some away to an artist, but now I have six more in my closet. Could I send them back to Adagio for recycling? Any other ideas? Hate to throw them out.

Dec 31st, '05, 08:40

by vbguy772 » Dec 31st, '05, 08:40

Here are a few suggestions since it's my guess that Adagio might not be allowed to sell tea in recycled tins. I use mine for herbs and spices. Before I had herbs and spices in about 10 different sized containers bouncing around in my spice cubby. I started recycling the Adagio sample tins for spices and herbs. I got out my old label maker and went to town. I used one color for spices and another color for the herbs. Then I went to my local Lowes and bought a rack to hold all the tins in place. Finally - an organized spice rack. For the spices and herbs that didn't fit in the small tins I used the smaller round tea containers from Adagio also. Lowes also sells the perfect wall mounting rack for these. I will also use this rack to hold 16 of the large Adagio tea containers to the back of my pantry door.

Another use for the sample tins is to hold paper clips for my work station. They are a great reminder that it's tea time while working.

Happy sipping...........

Ron

Jan 3rd, '06, 15:37

by jzero » Jan 3rd, '06, 15:37

It is worth noting that the little metal tins will stick to magnets.

I find them useful for storing any little thing that might get lost.
They Call Me Jzero

Jan 4th, '06, 12:16

by teaspoon » Jan 4th, '06, 12:16

Paper clips, buttons, thumbtacks, beads, stitch markers (if you crochet or knit), fortune cookie fortunes, rubber bands, extra staples...

~teaspoon, master of all things small
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Jan 4th, '06, 15:33

by Marlene » Jan 4th, '06, 15:33

I just had the weirdest and coolest idea.......
You could hot glue (i think i might be the reigning hot glue queen) magnents to the tins (you'd have to use low melt, cuz hot melt might screw with the magnent's magnentyness). Then you could stick them to the fridge.
You could use these magnents for chore charts for kids (do you chore and you get the treat inside!) storing...stuff.
Is this cool or what (don't answer that question with anything but 'cool')
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

Jan 5th, '06, 09:55

by teaspoon » Jan 5th, '06, 09:55

Way cool, Marlene.

I had another thought, too. Ya know how you can get candle-making stuff at craft stores? You could totally make little candles in the tins. Kinda like the candles in jars that Yankee Candle sells, but cooler because they're adagio tins, you made them yourself, AND they won't make you sneeze!

~the crafty teaspoon

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Jan 5th, '06, 10:09

by LavenderPekoe » Jan 5th, '06, 10:09

Ok, I really like Teaspoon's idea. Could you burn them in metal, though?
Teas for trade:

Jan 5th, '06, 11:41

by teaspoon » Jan 5th, '06, 11:41

I'm sure you could; I've seen other candles in tins. Might not want to touch them for a little while after they've been burning, but other than that it shouldn't be a problem.

~tsp

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Jan 9th, '06, 10:50

what to do with tea tins

by Madam Potts » Jan 9th, '06, 10:50

I am always needing little jars and tins and would gladly help you recycle them if you wanted to ship them off!

Send me an email at: madpotsoftea@aol.com

and I'll give you an address to send them to!

:o) Thank you for thinking about recycling them before just tossing them away!
Madam Potts

Custom Tea Blends and other Mad Ideas...
www.madpotsoftea.com

Jan 31st, '06, 17:46

by garden gal » Jan 31st, '06, 17:46

If anyone has tons of tins- we are going to have the girl scouts grow a "tea garden" this year and would like to use the little tins to put their teas in. OK, so it's not going to be tea teas, just various mints and chamomile but they are going to have a "real tea" party. It was great that the display teas went on sale- the girls will have a great time with those.
Anyway, if you do have a bunch that you can't think of anything to do with them, we will gladly take them (or if you have a local group of kids that may have the same idea you could give to them and I will just HAVE to make the sacrifice and order more samples to get the tins)

Jan 31st, '06, 18:50

by mijako10 » Jan 31st, '06, 18:50

If you like to travel you can put small quantities of your teas in them to take with on short trips. This way you won't bring your whole tin of tea with and risk losing it or something happening to it and all that tea will be gone.

I figure I'll use some of mine to give teas away to my friends who, otherwise, might not buy loose leaf tea on their own...

... Or I'll just keep them to myself 'cause they're so cute.

>_>
~If you can shape it in your mind you will find it in your life~

My fortune cookie fell in my tea! *sob*

Aug 27th, '06, 16:16
Location: curled up with my cats, a good book, and a nice cup of tea

by Cinnamon » Aug 27th, '06, 16:16

I have quite a few sample tins because I like to try them before committing to the larger sizes. Once they are empty, I give them a good wash (hate contaminating my Earl Grey with Strawberry tea dust!), create new labels, and presto! the perfect size to take to work with me. :) That way I can have several flavors to choose from when customers start getting on my nerves. ;)

Aug 27th, '06, 18:08

by LavenderPekoe » Aug 27th, '06, 18:08

Cinnamon wrote:I have quite a few sample tins because I like to try them before committing to the larger sizes. Once they are empty, I give them a good wash (hate contaminating my Earl Grey with Strawberry tea dust!), create new labels, and presto! the perfect size to take to work with me. :) That way I can have several flavors to choose from when customers start getting on my nerves. ;)
I do basically the same thing. They are also good for sending out samples to other people.
Teas for trade:

Aug 27th, '06, 22:11

by Warden Andy » Aug 27th, '06, 22:11

I put tea from larger containers in them so I don't have to open the larger containers nearly as much. It helps to keep the tea fresher, longer.
Super elite tea facist....

Sep 24th, '06, 13:28

by runrabbit » Sep 24th, '06, 13:28

I usually donate small jars and bottles to a nearby kindergarten or elementary school. Those teachers are so creative and are able to make good use of these kinds of containers.

+ Post Reply