Hello!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Jul 19th, '08, 01:13

Hello!

by SirLance » Jul 19th, '08, 01:13

Just recently started buying teas from Adagio. I started with the Executus blend from Diggnation. It was pretty good so I ordered some Jasmine teas, and some flavored teas. Just thought I'd check out these tea forums for some advice.

I bought a sample of the Jasmine #12 Pearls and they taste smoky. Is it supposed to taste like that? An iced version I get from a local tea shop taste more perfumey and I really like it that way.

Anyway, Hello forumers, I'm sure I'll enjoy it here.

Jul 19th, '08, 01:23

Re: Hello!

by olivierco » Jul 19th, '08, 01:23

Welcome!
SirLance wrote:.

I bought a sample of the Jasmine #12 Pearls and they taste smoky. Is it supposed to taste like that?
Normally not.

Jul 19th, '08, 02:02

by chamekke » Jul 19th, '08, 02:02

Did you brew it at 180 degrees F for five minutes as Adagio recommends?

Adagio's jasmine pearl tea has always struck me as fairly forgiving, but I'm wondering if perhaps the temperature of your water may have been a bit off.

I actually had some of this tea tonight (my PG Tips-loving husband is actually developing a taste for it!), but I can't say that I noticed any smokiness either. (Of course it may be a matter of individual palate; perhaps you're perceiving nuances I for one can't detect!)

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jul 19th, '08, 02:10

by SirLance » Jul 19th, '08, 02:10

I did everything as instructed. 1 tsp of pearls to 1 cup of water at 180 for five minutes.

Tasted really smoky for some reason. Had a pleasant after taste, just not what i'd expect from a jasmine tea.

Jul 19th, '08, 10:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 19th, '08, 10:55

Hello and welcome!

You do know you are drinking an oolong and not a green tea right?
Just checking.
:)

Jul 19th, '08, 11:12

by Rainy » Jul 19th, '08, 11:12

Hello and welcome-
I am a newbie, so no advice. I would like
to say that everyone here seems
to be very learned about tea-
I try to be a sponge and soak it up.

Glad to meet cha' :D

Jul 19th, '08, 11:17

by kymidwife » Jul 19th, '08, 11:17

Welcome to the forum!

Ditto on what Victoria said... the jasmine green pearls taste a good bit different than the jasmine oolong, but for me, in a good way.

I love Jasmine, and I think the #12 pearls are very good, but I'm actually a big fan of #9, and I think it's really my favorite Jasmine. It had more of that classic jasmine taste I was looking for without being too artificial or overpowering.

If you like jasmine oolong, I also recommend osmanthus oolong... a much milder floral than jasmine, but very enjoyable. I got mine from Upton's. Am hoping Adagio will add it to their menu of teas.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jul 19th, '08, 14:07

by SirLance » Jul 19th, '08, 14:07

I actually don't know alot about teas yet, but I'm working on it.

I don't really know the difference between an oolong and a green tea, so I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong.

Jul 19th, '08, 14:45

by hop_goblin » Jul 19th, '08, 14:45

Yo, welcome!

Jul 20th, '08, 14:06

by doyoulovedee » Jul 20th, '08, 14:06

wait...

sometimes it it possible to just get a bad tea?
or is like with computers, mostly user error?

Jul 20th, '08, 14:55

by Geekgirl » Jul 20th, '08, 14:55

doyoulovedee wrote:wait...

sometimes it it possible to just get a bad tea?
or is like with computers, mostly user error?
Oh yeah, definitely possible to get a bad tea. User error can also be a factor (brewed my tea too hot first infusion, too long second infusion. Third was juuuuuussst right. signed- baby bear. Heh.)

Also, since tea tastes are subjective, you could get a superior tea, brew it perfectly, then in the end still want to wash it down with anything you can get your hands on to kill the taste. :lol:

Jul 20th, '08, 15:27

by doyoulovedee » Jul 20th, '08, 15:27

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
Oh yeah, definitely possible to get a bad tea. User error can also be a factor (brewed my tea too hot first infusion, too long second infusion. Third was juuuuuussst right. signed- baby bear. Heh.)

Also, since tea tastes are subjective, you could get a superior tea, brew it perfectly, then in the end still want to wash it down with anything you can get your hands on to kill the taste. :lol:
hehe.. hmm, well this tea i have reminded me of rotten pumpkins and i've been too shy to futz with it since. but i think tonight i'll figure where i went wrong, or if i really did order rotten pumpkin tea by mistake.

Jul 20th, '08, 16:31

by Chip » Jul 20th, '08, 16:31

A tardy WELCOME!!! I hope you share many cups of tea with us on TeaDay!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

+ Post Reply