Jul 18th, '08, 14:09

Favorite Black Tea for Iced/Chilled/Room Temp Tea?

by joelbct » Jul 18th, '08, 14:09

Seeing as it getting rather torrid, thought I would make another batch of Iced Tea, but Black instead of Green this time.

Anyone have a preferred type of Chilled Black Tea?

I am thinking, Assam, Ceylon, or Golden Yunnan, although Keemun might be good too.

Jul 18th, '08, 14:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 18th, '08, 14:56

I like to use high grown Ceylon as the base usually because it is perfect and cost effective for iced tea.

I then will blend Darjeeling, &/or high grown Nepal or similar.

This blend has a nice natural fruitiness without additives.

Jul 19th, '08, 03:07

by omegapd » Jul 19th, '08, 03:07

Of course, my favorite is Red Rose tea bags for iced tea, but most any black tea works fine in my book. I do tend to stay away from the smoky ones, so if your Keemun is like that, it wouldn't be my favorite. I tried a whole pitcher of Lapsang one time and it was just terrible for my tastes as iced tea- although it's one of my favorite hot teas.

A typical English Breakfast blend works well too.

EW

Jul 19th, '08, 11:38

by kymidwife » Jul 19th, '08, 11:38

Lots of times, I make black iced tea with odds and ends thrown together to make my own blend. I like Irish Breakfast blend iced very much, too. Lately, though, I am favoring iced oolongs the most... my preferred iced teas the last 2 weeks have been peach oolong/peach white combo or iced osmanthus oolong.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jul 19th, '08, 12:10

by joelbct » Jul 19th, '08, 12:10

Chip wrote:I like to use high grown Ceylon as the base usually because it is perfect and cost effective for iced tea.
You're right, a good Ceylon makes an excellent Iced Tea. I went with Ceylon Koslanda Estate OP Organic blended with SpecialTeas House Assam. Turned out pretty awesome.

That reminds me, last year In Pursuit of Tea had a fantastic Ceylon, best Ceylon I've ever tasted. I just know this because they served it at an Organic restaurant called Blue Hill located on the Rockefeller Estate. But alas I haven't been able to find out which IPOT Ceylon it was, and last time I got Ceylon from IPOT it was nothing special. Oh well, maybe I will email them and see if they will divulge the info...

Jul 19th, '08, 12:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jul 19th, '08, 12:21

Ceylon silver stripe. Yum. I like to mix it with some hibiscus, it really brings up the more lively qualities of a ceylon tea.

+ Post Reply