Rubber Flavored Tea


One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Rubber Flavored Tea

Postby Ti » Jul 19th, '08, 19:49

Rubber flavored tea? What does this taste like...? I would think it has some rubber flavored qualities to it. Is the taste of rubber in tea a desirable quality? If so, where can I get some to try it out?
Ti
 
Posts: 189
Joined: May 31st, '

Postby hop_goblin » Jul 19th, '08, 20:28

I don't think there is actual "rubber tea" However, it is known that old plantations planted rubber trees mixed with the tea trees as a natural way of controlling pest. This practice to some extent is still done today. It is most noticeable in younger sheng. I do not know if the XiaGuan factory does this kind of controlling method but for some reason, I taste this in their tuochas.
User avatar
hop_goblin
 
Posts: 1942
Joined: May 22nd, '
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!

Postby Salsero » Jul 19th, '08, 20:34

I have had several shu from Menghai Dayi and others that have had strong tastes of a tire store, especially at first and esp if I don't rinse. Tastes just like a Goodyear tire store smells. Not a good thing!
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby Geekgirl » Jul 19th, '08, 20:48

TomVerlain wrote:It is important to watch temperature in brewing so not to vulcanize the tea. To avoid the "pondy" taste, make sure your water is not from a pond.

While cheaper, India rubber teas are not as prized as the self sealing beengs...



BWAAHAHAHA!!!
User avatar
Geekgirl
 
Posts: 2700
Joined: May 31st, '
Location: Portland, OR

Postby hop_goblin » Jul 19th, '08, 23:17

Salsero wrote:I have had several shu from Menghai Dayi and others that have had strong tastes of a tire store, especially at first and esp if I don't rinse. Tastes just like a Goodyear tire store smells. Not a good thing!


"Goodyear tire store" MUAHHAH
User avatar
hop_goblin
 
Posts: 1942
Joined: May 22nd, '
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!

Postby Ti » Jul 19th, '08, 23:36

TomVerlain wrote:Some say the best rubber tea hails from Ceylon or Malaysia, where old growth trees mixed with "Hevea brasiliensis" provide the long lasting taste so important to connoisseurs.

It is important to watch temperature in brewing so not to vulcanize the tea. To avoid the "pondy" taste, make sure your water is not from a pond.

While cheaper, India rubber teas are not as prized as the self sealing beengs from the aforementioned Sri Lanka. One taste of an aged rubber tea brick erases all memory of lessor teas.

Brooklands is an old established name synonymous with rubber tea. In America, rubber tea rooms were prevalent in the 20's and 30's, but have fallen out of favor as people go for the convenience of Starbucks and the like.

ROFL! Vulcanized tea!
Ti
 
Posts: 189
Joined: May 31st, '

Postby Ti » Jul 19th, '08, 23:40

These responses are hilarious!
Ti
 
Posts: 189
Joined: May 31st, '

Postby Ti » Jul 19th, '08, 23:53

hop_goblin wrote:I don't think there is actual "rubber tea" However, it is known that old plantations planted rubber trees mixed with the tea trees as a natural way of controlling pest. This practice to some extent is still done today. It is most noticeable in younger sheng. I do not know if the XiaGuan factory does this kind of controlling method but for some reason, I taste this in their tuochas.


I don't expect a bold, NASCAR Pit-Stop flavoured Goodyear taste, but what is the taste of rubber in tea that was grown near rubber trees? I imagine it's somewhat subtle and obviously distinctive.

I went to the Topps Bubble Gum factory one day to do a survey for work and I saw a warehouse full of 2' x 2' x 4' blocks of rubber bubble gum base that were all stamped Goodyear. But bubble gum doesn't taste like tires. I'm just not sure what kind of taste it would be? What's rubber flavor in tea? How do I identify whether it's there or not?
Ti
 
Posts: 189
Joined: May 31st, '

Postby henley » Jul 20th, '08, 06:34

Ti wrote: I went to the Topps Bubble Gum factory one day to do a survey for work and I saw a warehouse full of 2' x 2' x 4' blocks of rubber bubble gum base that were all stamped Goodyear.

OT but I totally gave up being a gum chewer after finding out the base is rubber & plastic. Yuck!!!

Salsero wrote:I have had several shu from Menghai Dayi and others that have had strong tastes of a tire store, especially at first and esp if I don't rinse. Tastes just like a Goodyear tire store smells. Not a good thing!

Mmmm... tasty! :lol:
User avatar
henley
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Aug 28th, '
Location: Northeast Georgia


Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation