Thursday TeaDay 7/24/08 COLD brewing iced tea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Simple question today...have you given COLD brewing iced tea a try?

Yes
41%
Yes, and I prefer it to hot brewed iced tea
12%
No, but want to give it a try
29%
No
18%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 49

Jul 23rd, '08, 23:35
Scrolling: scrolling

Thursday TeaDay 7/24/08 COLD brewing iced tea?

by Chip » Jul 23rd, '08, 23:35

Yesterday, Most TeaChatters declared they had a new absolute favorite tea since last year. This was close amoung non newbies, but a shut out amoung newbies. You can still vote and discuss this topic.

Good TeaDay and welcome everyone. Let's Brew...and share what is in our cups today...all day!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic is a pretty simple one...either you did or you didn't. Have you tried "cold brewing" to make a refreshing smooth glass of iced tea? If so, please share your experiences with this method. If you have not tried this method, listen up...you might learn something. :idea: :D I know I learned something on this subject this year after resisting this change for years.

See you all on TeaDay!!! COLD brew on....
Last edited by Chip on Aug 16th, '08, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 23rd, '08, 23:47

by kymidwife » Jul 23rd, '08, 23:47

Oooooh my first time being FPAC. (first post after Chip)

Yes, I cold brew... mostly greens. I'm getting better at not screwing up my hot brews, but especially on my lower quality greens that can turn bitter on a dime, I cold brew all of those... mostly in the fridge overnight. I also cold-brew for later infusions of my better greens... like my fukamushi supreme... I'll do 3 or 4 infusions and then put the rest in cold water in the fridge and sip on it the next day... delicious.

On my way to bed soon... sweet dreams and happy tea day to all.

sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jul 23rd, '08, 23:53

by Geekgirl » Jul 23rd, '08, 23:53

Yes, I LOVE cold brewing. I use it at work, because when I'm between clients sometimes I have time to start the steep, but not to finish. If I use cold water, it doesn't matter if I'm brewing during the entire hour (or so) that I'm in session. When I come out, I have a great cold or room temp tea, no tannins, no bitterness... just yum.

I had never heard of this before coming to the teachat, so it's a new one for me, but has really worked out well. It also makes some poor or mediocre teas taste so much better, and has saved me (again at work) when my tea choices have been not-so-good.

Great stuff.

Jul 23rd, '08, 23:57

by Riene » Jul 23rd, '08, 23:57

I have tried cold brewing black tea to make iced tea and didn't like the flavor as much. I've done 2-3 attempts at cold-brewing cheap green bagged tea, and it's OK. I'm not enthusiastic about it, probably due to lousy technique and not-great tea.

No tea for me right now...it's about bed time.

Congrats on being the first response, kymidwife! :D

I asked this yesterday, but since I normally have a knack for posting right before the thread moves to the next page, I don't think anyone saw my question.

Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on Target stores' Archer Farms tea? They do have a variety of tea with names like Golden Monkey, Silver Needles, Dragonwell. It seems like an inexpensive way to try new teas, assuming these are not floor-sweepings.

Jul 23rd, '08, 23:58

by chamekke » Jul 23rd, '08, 23:58

Still haven't tried it, but would like to.

Unless you count my efforts with mugicha, which I always cold-brew.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jul 24th, '08, 00:04

by Geekgirl » Jul 24th, '08, 00:04

Riene, I have found that when trying new teas, I spent a LOT more money when I was trying to find good buys on the cheap, than when I just went for a couple of well-recommended, albeit more expensive, teas.

If you really want to try a bunch of teas for a reasonable price, I highly recommend Adagio's samplers. Some other companies have samplers too, or something equivalent. Tao of Tea will sell many of their teas in 1oz quantities, and so will some other major US vendors. I like Adagio particularly because their samples come in a convenient and mess-free tin, plus their shipping is very reasonable.

These samples will usually give you enough for several sessions, or if you are gongfu brewing, 2-3 sessions.

I'm sure others can pipe in with vendors who have good sample deals. Also I have a few samples from other teachatters, and from my own purchases, that didn't float my boat. If you like, I could mail a few out to you.

Jul 24th, '08, 00:09

by Rainy » Jul 24th, '08, 00:09

I have yet to try cold brewing- will soon, it's muggy here- I need cold tea LOL

Had trouble with my internet card so here is the picture I had to share-

green tea and a mexican bird of paradise sitting on a barrel cactus :D
argh- I can not get it to post- help :evil:

Jul 24th, '08, 00:31

by Victoria » Jul 24th, '08, 00:31

Rainy - will PM you with help

Jul 24th, '08, 01:21

by Pentox » Jul 24th, '08, 01:21

Hahahaha do you even need to ask.

I cold brew A LOT. Hot brewed iced tea is a bit of a pain in the butt too.

-Pentox
aka that guy who cold brews a lot, seriously check through a few of the teadays :P

Jul 24th, '08, 02:06

by olivierco » Jul 24th, '08, 02:06

Ali Shan in a celadon cup mixed with a ray of sunshine. Awwww, so sweet. This is much nicer than that trash Soltero used to post here. Never would be too soon for him to come back. I’ll tell you, when that guy wasn’t saying gross things or insulting someone, he was all caught up in raining on everyone’s parade. I don’t know about you, but I vote we ban him permanently. I think he is in France somewhere, at least that’s the postmark on his posts lately.

Jul 24th, '08, 02:08

by olivierco » Jul 24th, '08, 02:08

Yes, I tried cold brewing, but I prefer to drink my tea hot.

This morning Yunnan golden tips with my breakfast

Jul 24th, '08, 02:10

by Geekgirl » Jul 24th, '08, 02:10

olivierco wrote:Ali Shan in a celadon cup mixed with a ray of sunshine. Awwww, so sweet. This is much nicer than that trash Soltero used to post here. Never would be too soon for him to come back. I’ll tell you, when that guy wasn’t saying gross things or insulting someone, he was all caught up in raining on everyone’s parade. I don’t know about you, but I vote we ban him permanently. I think he is in France somewhere, at least that’s the postmark on his posts lately.

Hahahaha!!!

(Love this photo, the composition and colors are both exquisite. A little celadon never hurts either.)

Jul 24th, '08, 02:33

by Pentox » Jul 24th, '08, 02:33

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: A little celadon never hurts either.)
It does if someone throws it at you

Jul 24th, '08, 02:36

by Geekgirl » Jul 24th, '08, 02:36

How am I supposed to know which one of Image is evil and which one of Image is good when you both act like this? :?

Jul 24th, '08, 02:42

by omegapd » Jul 24th, '08, 02:42

I drink iced tea every single day- even in winter- and have never cold brewed any.

EW