what do u think of this pu?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 24th, '08, 21:19

what do u think of this pu?

by orguz » Jul 24th, '08, 21:19

I received this sample of 90's Tong Jing Hou Raw Tea Cake

From a malaysian tea vendor, it taste like an aged raw. Has anyone tried this one before it costs 38USD. It has many twigs (for lack of better word) in it. Thanking in advance for any advice?

Jul 25th, '08, 04:41

by MarshalN » Jul 25th, '08, 04:41

Looks like border tea -- which in this case is probably Vietnamese leaves.

Jul 25th, '08, 07:05

by chrl42 » Jul 25th, '08, 07:05

Tong Jing Hou or Tong Qing Hao, is one of oldest and the best maker Puerh has to offer, using best leaves of course.

50-yr-old Tong Qing Hao was sold at what, 100.000 USD?

Having seen a lot of twigs, well...I go the same opinion with marshaln..

Jul 25th, '08, 10:19

by shogun89 » Jul 25th, '08, 10:19

I too agree with MarshalN, Not to mention, I'm pretty sure the characters on the chop are not Chinese.

Jul 25th, '08, 11:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by Dizzwave » Jul 25th, '08, 11:16

It looks like Chinese to me.. In fact, the four characters in the lower right say "pu-erh Zheng Shan" if I'm not mistaken.. Zheng Shan being part of Wuyi?

But then... just cuz there's Chinese on there doesn't make it Chinese, or from Wuyi. :)

Jul 25th, '08, 11:25

by hop_goblin » Jul 25th, '08, 11:25

Dizzwave wrote:It looks like Chinese to me.. In fact, the four characters in the lower right say "pu-erh Zheng Shan" if I'm not mistaken.. Zheng Shan being part of Wuyi?

But then... just cuz there's Chinese on there doesn't make it Chinese, or from Wuyi. :)
Impressive Dizz. The leaves definitely look a bit odd. Is it just me but do the leaves look somewhat as if they are going to deteriorate?

Jul 25th, '08, 11:28

by chrl42 » Jul 25th, '08, 11:28

Dizzwave wrote:It looks like Chinese to me.. In fact, the four characters in the lower right say "pu-erh Zheng Shan" if I'm not mistaken.. Zheng Shan being part of Wuyi?

There are Chinese letters, and is called 'fake Tong Qing Hao neifei'..

Jul 25th, '08, 11:31

by hop_goblin » Jul 25th, '08, 11:31

chrl42 wrote:

Fake! Really! You mean you can't buy an authentic Tong Qing for 38$ wow! :lol:

Jul 25th, '08, 11:43

by chrl42 » Jul 25th, '08, 11:43

hop_goblin wrote:
chrl42 wrote:

Actually, original Tong Qing Hao factories were closed decades ago, and were being produced personally.

News is 90's Tong Qing Hao has disappeared from Yunnan and centainly not sold at the price of 38$..

And to dizzwave, Zheng Shan indeed was Yiwu.....nice work!

Jul 25th, '08, 13:26

by Dizzwave » Jul 25th, '08, 13:26

chrl42 wrote:And to dizzwave, Zheng Shan indeed was Yiwu.....nice work!
Oops, yiwu, wuyi.. I always confuse them. :)
I've been studying Japanese kanji lately, most of which still have the same meaning as the Chinese characters they descended from long ago.. so I spend more time than is probably good for me, scanning pu-erh wrappers (and signs in Chinatown) for familiar characters. :)
And now, back to this pot of 2007 Mengku Lao Ban Zhang, ohh, yumyumyum... =)
dave

Jul 25th, '08, 14:05

by hop_goblin » Jul 25th, '08, 14:05

chrl42 wrote:
hop_goblin wrote:
chrl42 wrote:

Actually, original Tong Qing Hao factories were closed decades ago, and were being produced personally.

Yes, Just like the new Song and Keyxing pu-erhs. Those also went under many moons ago but are being reproduced.

News is 90's Tong Qing Hao has disappeared from Yunnan and centainly not sold at the price of 38$..

And to dizzwave, Zheng Shan indeed was Yiwu.....nice work!

Jul 25th, '08, 18:17

by orguz » Jul 25th, '08, 18:17

Thanks for input, it was a free sample that I received from the vendor, not a purchased cake. I posted the price for information purposes, I don`t have the slightest clue who the factory was when I asked the original question. Actually the sample looks not as bad as the vendor`s picture which I copied and pasted on this forum, the gaiwan picture is my own. I never saw that many twigs in a puerh before, except in a liu an, which is why i asked. Actually this site was a link from a puerh blogger who is a teachat member. The samples came with the 2 zisha pots bought from said vendor. The tea speaks volumes about their pots as well, my biggest blunder and mistake sofar with regards to teaware putchases :evil: :cry:

Jul 25th, '08, 21:23

by Salsero » Jul 25th, '08, 21:23

orguz wrote:...the vendor ... vendor`s picture ... 2 zisha pots bought from said vendor ...
Just so you know, there is no requirement to be coy or indirect about other vendors here. Adagio seems happy to host a wide open forum that praises or criticizes other vendors however the posters feel. Several vendors have been dragged over the coals, and more have been criticized and then reformed based on a better understanding of what to expect from them. It's all about sharing whatever we are comfortable sharing. The one thing you are not likely to find here is mindless praise of any vendor ... actually as a group I would say we tend to be a bit sceptical of them all!

Jul 25th, '08, 22:53

by orguz » Jul 25th, '08, 22:53

Thanks Salsero for pointing out a different perspective. People tend to associate themselves with things they like, I feel it may offend others by mentioning names. In case one needs to know, feel free to P.M me. I did this on many occasions whilst reading topics discussed in teachat forum. That`s just me :lol:

Reading other topics here, I`ve seen that it can get out of control when toes are stepped on, it`s better to have happier people.

Jul 25th, '08, 23:36

by heavydoom » Jul 25th, '08, 23:36

anonimity is a wise choice.

+ Post Reply