Yixing jars

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 28th, '08, 21:51

Yixing jars

by tony shlongini » Jul 28th, '08, 21:51

Howdy. Nice place ya got here. I'm pretty new to the puerh game- where has this been all my life! I only have a dozen or so beengs so far, but knowing me I'll have a few dozen more by the end of the year.

Quick question- storing unopened cakes seems easy enough, but what do you guys do with the opened beeng? The rice paper seems to disintegrate after opening them a few times. Does anyone use or recommend yixing jars for storing opened puerhs?

Jul 28th, '08, 22:29

by shogun89 » Jul 28th, '08, 22:29

Welcome to the confusing world of pu erh. I keep the original wrapper on my cake then slip it into a brown paper lunch bag, fold the top over and keep the beeng in my puidor. I've heard of using terracotta pots but not yixing. The yixing will do nothing for you. I recommend using the paper bag or I also use cotton sheets to wrap the cake in, or you can just re-wrap them in packaging paper that you might get around a glass vase or something. Good luck! :D

Jul 29th, '08, 08:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Jul 29th, '08, 08:26

I recall reading that glazed-wares should be used for sheng and yixing type wares should be used to store shu, can't recall where. Maybe Teamasters.

Jul 29th, '08, 08:32
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Jul 29th, '08, 08:32

'twas indeed although my memory is a little more concrete than the post.

Despite the title it may be useful to peruse:

http://teamasters.blogspot.com/2006/09/ ... olong.html

I get the feeling there was a more specific post on the matter but I can't find it.

I can add that I have a ~500ml clay pot, kind of fake yixing thing, that I stuck some bamboo roasted sheng in about a year ago once it had been broken up and it tastes far less aggressive than the stuff forced from the large bamboo atm. That was more an exercise in trying to tame rather rough tasting tea than I suspect you are looking for.

Jul 29th, '08, 12:13

by hop_goblin » Jul 29th, '08, 12:13

Try to open the cotton paper wrapping very carefully. I am with Shogun, I will always keep them in their original wrapping. However, they do begin to wear but when this happends, I wrap them with white tissue paper over their torn wrapper. This seems to do the trick.

Jul 29th, '08, 14:54

by orguz » Jul 29th, '08, 14:54

Proinsias wrote:'

I can add that I have a ~500ml clay pot, kind of fake yixing thing, that I stuck some bamboo roasted sheng in about a year ago once it had been broken up and it tastes far less aggressive than the stuff forced from the large bamboo atm. That was more an exercise in trying to tame rather rough tasting tea than I suspect you are looking for.
That's what i do with my 4 clay pots that are a bit damaged (chipped spouts or too big for use). They are used for storing flaked raw and cooked puerh.

look at all the yixing canisters in the back case of the following picture;

http://p5.p.pixnet.net/albums/userpics/ ... 383638.jpg

found the picture site whilst searching for teapots, this site has tons of other pictures, have a look at the guys's yixing stash. :shock: :shock:

http://www.pixnet.net/album/trimew/13668371

Jul 29th, '08, 20:01

by tony shlongini » Jul 29th, '08, 20:01

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't say it, but I didn't specifically mean dedicated yixing jars. I would imagine any unglazed clay pot would provide adequate "ventilation", as it were. I've also been wrapping my used beengs, rice paper and all, in plain old brown paper lunch bags. If nothing else, it keeps them neat and easy to identify.

+ Post Reply