Questions related to oolong tea for my research -HELP!!

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 13th, '06, 15:50

Questions related to oolong tea for my research -HELP!!

by Hiroko » Jan 13th, '06, 15:50

Hi, I am doing some research on oolong tea (or Chinese tea) in the US and especially in NYC area. I wonder if anyone can help me here!

Questions:
1, Has oolong (Chinese) tea been getting any popular in the US or in NY?

2, Are there any trendy topics related to oolong (Chinese) tea nowadays in the US?

3, Where can I find (or where do you recommend to find) variety of oolong (Chinese) teas in NYC? (Tea shops, restaurants, bars, supermarkets, delis, etc.)

4, Do you know any restaurants in NYC that serve dishes using oolong (Chinese) tea? (NOT oolong (Chinese) tea itself)

5, Do you know any services, such as massage or facials, are offered at any spas in NYC? If there are any, which spa?

6, Do you know any celebs, actors, actresses, models, or NYers who loves oolong (Chinese) tea?

7, Are there anyone who got successful because of oolong (Chinese) tea?

8, Do you know any Chinese herbal medicine cooking classes, Chinese tea ceremony classes, Chinese tea tasting classes, and circles or groups for Chinise tea lovers?

9, Do you know if there are any research on oolong (Chinese) tea done in the US related to health issue?

10, What would you say the perception and knowledge of American people about oolong (Chinese) tea are these days?

I will keep researching but this place seems a perfect place to ask these questions. I hope someone can help me.

Thanks. :D
Hiroko

Jan 13th, '06, 17:52

by chris » Jan 13th, '06, 17:52

1, Has oolong (Chinese) tea been getting any popular in the US or in NY?

Actually, Rachel Ray from the Food Network just mentioned it as a "good slimming tea." Due to her popularity, oolong has been enjoying a nice moment in the sun. Let's hope it gets recognized and doesn't fall back into the oblivion of America's tea-ignorance.

2, Are there any trendy topics related to oolong (Chinese) tea nowadays in the US?

see above

3, Where can I find (or where do you recommend to find) variety of oolong (Chinese) teas in NYC? (Tea shops, restaurants, bars, supermarkets, delis, etc.)

Probably the best places in NYC for oolong are Chinatown (there are a few on Mott St.) or Ito En's teashop on Park Ave.

4, Do you know any restaurants in NYC that serve dishes using oolong (Chinese) tea? (NOT oolong (Chinese) tea itself)

There is this place in the Union Square area called AZ... they have an oolong smoked quail dish I've had.... really good. Also, Alice's Teacup on the Upper West Side has a bunch of tea-infused foods. I bet they've got something w/ oolong.

5, Do you know any services, such as massage or facials, are offered at any spas in NYC? If there are any, which spa?

I'm pretty sure what you're really asking is if oolong tea is used at any spas (obviously massages and facials are done at all spas). check out this place called Acqua Beauty Bar -- they've got an oolong body scrub.

6, Do you know any celebs, actors, actresses, models, or NYers who loves oolong (Chinese) tea?

got me on this one... Woody Allen?

7, Are there anyone who got successful because of oolong (Chinese) tea?

Do i count? I shamelessy mention my love for oolong in my book!!

8, Do you know any Chinese herbal medicine cooking classes, Chinese tea ceremony classes, Chinese tea tasting classes, and circles or groups for Chinise tea lovers?

Check with the Chinatown Community Center on Mott St.... you'll find something I'm sure.

9, Do you know if there are any research on oolong (Chinese) tea done in the US related to health issue?

Oolong has been traditionally considered a "slimming tea" to the Chinese culture. It has also recently been shown to help type 2 diabetes. Here is a linkwith more info.

10, What would you say the perception and knowledge of American people about oolong (Chinese) tea are these days?

American knowledge of oolong is far too limited. for most of those who've even heard of it, it is usually only thought of as "chinese restaurant tea" - if not just "that tea with a funny name."

Jan 17th, '06, 10:44

Thanks!

by Hiroko » Jan 17th, '06, 10:44

Hi, Chris,

Thank you very much for your reply! It's very helpful.
For #5 question, you got what I wanted to mean to write. I forgot to put "with oolong tea" in the sentense.

Do you mind if I ask you the title of your book? I would like to check it out. Also is it possible to contact you in person if I would like to ask you more questions? It sounds like you love tea and know about it very well. I don' know how to link my e-mail address. So here is my e-mail address, hayashi@nexent.tv.

I would welcome more answers to my questions to anyone else who knows about tea well!! I would appreciate it if you could fill even partially.

Thank you!

+ Post Reply