Saturday TeaDay 8/02/08 Which Chinese province's tea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Tougher question than most, but there is help in the topic intro. Which Chinese province's tea do you prefer?

Anhui
3%
Fujian
36%
Guangdong
No votes
Hubei
No votes
Hunan
No votes
Jiangsu
3%
Jiangxi
No votes
Szechuan
3%
Yunnan
44%
Zhejiang
No votes
Other
5%
None
8%

Total votes: 39

Aug 2nd, '08, 02:20
Scrolling: scrolling

Saturday TeaDay 8/02/08 Which Chinese province's tea?

by Chip » Aug 2nd, '08, 02:20

Yesterday's voting indicated very clearly that Assam and Darjeeling were the top Indian region tea producers for most TeaChatters. You can still vote and discuss this topic.

Once again, welcome everyone to TeaDay. Shall we brew and share what is in our cups today, all day!!!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic may be a little more challenging, but hopefully one we can learn from it as well. It seems that Indian teas are so easy to know. Almost every Indian tea is labelled where it is from, such as Darjeeling. The same cannot be said for Chinese teas. Don't ask me why! There are many tea producing provinces in China, yet most of them many of us have never even heard of, what is produced there, or where our fave Chinese teas are from.

Today, the poll includes hopefully all the major and minor producing provinces. Here are some links as well to help you discover where a tea you may like is from.

http://www.teatalk.com/china/province.htm
http://www.green-tea-store.com/map/map.html

I hope you are able to learn a little today as we share our cups. Bottoms up.
Last edited by Chip on Aug 16th, '08, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 2nd, '08, 02:32

1998 Lincang Jia Ji Yinhao Tuocha

by Salsero » Aug 2nd, '08, 02:32

As lovely as is this tuo cha (tea compressed into a little bowl shape), the fine cup competes for attention. In the Shan Shui (water and mountain landscape) scene, a stolid and imperturbable human figure crouches, fishing at the water’s edge, in the shadow of the forest. Far away, three-quarters of the way around the cup, a solitary fish swims freely in the vast water beneath an enormous mountain, suggesting that at least sometimes the romantics among us are right: there really is only one fish in the sea! What can the figure do but wait, and hopefully find joy in the act of waiting. "They also serve who only stand and wait."

It was not an expensive cup, a cast off I bought used on ebay along with 20 other little cups. This miniature panorama of the human condition was likely created in seconds, some anonymous artist/worker applying a few deft brush strokes in a Chinese factory. Still, in its own way, it seems like it might crystalize centuries of Chinese art and thought.

You know “Sometimes the teaware is as much of the experience as the tea.

• This is one you really should click on.
[/color][/size][/i]

The tea is also worth considering. It doesn’t taste its age, but it is still ten years down its unique path.

Aug 2nd, '08, 03:06

by omegapd » Aug 2nd, '08, 03:06

Tom,

How big is that tuo cha?

Yunnan to answer the question, but I actually like the majority of Chinese teas I've had.

Assam this morning in my cup at work...

Have a great weekend, everyone!

EW

Aug 2nd, '08, 04:05

by Trey Winston » Aug 2nd, '08, 04:05

Fujian is the home of white tea, so no contest.
Trey

Aug 2nd, '08, 06:15

by olivierco » Aug 2nd, '08, 06:15

Difficult to choose

Anhui for Keemun
Fujian for silver needles and Wuyi
Yunnan for Yunnan golden tips

This morning keemun with breakfast

Aug 2nd, '08, 08:15

by augie » Aug 2nd, '08, 08:15

olivierco wrote:Difficult to choose
Fujian for silver needles and Wuyi
Yunnan for Yunnan golden tips
I don't believe I have ever tried Keenum . . . hmmmm . . .

I voted for Yunnan b/c of Pu Ehr and Yunan Golden (which also makes excellent iced tea). However Wuyi (& silver needle) would also be a close second from Fujian.

Spent yesterday embroidering "Team Edward" shirts for 4, waited in line for an hour, along with 100s of squealing teen-aged (mostly) girls to get our copy of "Breaking Dawn" by Stephanie Meyer. Came home and read the prologue and first chapter. We are all reading aloud to solve the dilema of who gets the 752 page book first. Now if we can just live through the suspense until December when Twilight the movie comes out, we'll be fine.

Also bought "Don't Bump the Glump! and other Fantasies" by Shel Silverstein for the 6.5 y.o. 14 y.o. bought "1984" by Geo. Orwell, despite my warnings.

Aug 2nd, '08, 08:25

by CynTEAa » Aug 2nd, '08, 08:25

Dang it, Chip! Another poll I can't vote...hehe! But I'm torn between Yunnan and Fujian. :?

Golden Yunnan again this morning. We shall see where this Saturday TeaDay takes us. My kyusu is talking to me this morning. My reply, "Yes, dear, I'll be right there."

Aug 2nd, '08, 09:10

by hop_goblin » Aug 2nd, '08, 09:10

That's a simple qustion! Yunnan Baby! Pu-erh pu-erh pu-erh! Oh, and Yunnan gold.

Aug 2nd, '08, 10:18

by Riene » Aug 2nd, '08, 10:18

Yunnan for me, as I like Yunnan Gold and just don't know enough about the other regions.
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Aug 2nd, '08, 10:42

by olivierco » Aug 2nd, '08, 10:42

Dong Ding this afternoon.
Some Kanro gyokuro a little later.

Aug 2nd, '08, 10:52

by Selaphiel » Aug 2nd, '08, 10:52

Can't really choose any region, don't have any special favorite.

Having some Bai Mao Hou at the moment.

Aug 2nd, '08, 11:37

by joelbct » Aug 2nd, '08, 11:37

I agree with the comments above, this one is not so easy to choose!

For Blacks, at least I can narrow it down to Yunnan, Fujian, and Anhui (Keemun apparently comes from Qimun County, in Anhui Province!)

Of course Green Tea, harder to decide. They grow it everywhere and I don't know as much about Chinese Green. Zhejiang and Anhui are good. Long Jing/Dragon Well comes from Zhejiang...

Wow looks like as I type this, the sky has darkened, winds are gusting, thunder in the distance, the rain starts to patter then pound on the kitchen skylight... good time to be indoors on an unplugged laptop with some freshly brewed Tea!

Aug 2nd, '08, 12:06

by Salsero » Aug 2nd, '08, 12:06

omegapd wrote: How big is that tuo cha?
It's not quite three inches across at the widest point, 100 grams, $8.00.
joelbct wrote: Wow looks like as I type this, the sky has darkened, winds are gusting, thunder in the distance, the rain starts to patter then pound on the kitchen skylight... good time to be indoors on an unplugged laptop with some freshly brewed Tea!
Between the photo and the words you portray a nice, snug TeaMoment. Also, thanks for the quick review of all those dang Chinese place names.

Aug 2nd, '08, 12:16

by edkrueger » Aug 2nd, '08, 12:16

For Oolong:
#1:Fujian: Tie Guan Yin and Wuyi not much else to choose from.
#2:Guangdong: the rest of the Oolongs: Dan Cong.

For Pu-erh
#1: Yunnan, Duh.

Black Tea:
#1: Fujian: Lapsang Souchong and Bohea.
#2: Yunnan

Green Tea:
#1:Zhejiang: Dragon Well
#2: Anhui

Yellow Tea
1#: Hunnan, duh.

Overall:
1: Fujian
2: Yunnan (sorry pu-erh)

Aug 2nd, '08, 12:45

by Katrina » Aug 2nd, '08, 12:45

I voted Fujian Province on this one for TKY, WuYi, and some other excellent oolongs.

I was shocked that Zhejiang had no votes yet. That was my second choice, primarily for Dragonwell.

Yunnan was a consideration as was Anhui. Who am I kidding? They were all considerations.

Today I tried a black tea blend with cinnamon, orange, and vanilla.
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com