Black Tea Colors and Sizes

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jun 7th, '05, 14:27
Mod/Admin

Black Tea Colors and Sizes

by teachat » Jun 7th, '05, 14:27

I've been drinking tea from tea bags for years now, but only recently started realizing the the full flavor of loose tea. I'm pretty lost as to how much tea to use and what color it should be when brewed. I've been hearing one teaspoon per six ounces, but leaves are all different sizes so I can't get a good measurment. Also, how dark should it be? Take the Yunnan Jig tea I have. While a lot of black tea bags I've had brew up black, Yunnan Jig brews up a dark red. Earl Grey brews up a similar color. The tea in the video for the Glass Minuet brews up black. Should I be brewing Yunnan Jig and Earl Grey so dark that I can't see through it? It doesn't seem that I'll get anywhere near the fifty cups per four ounces. What types of teas are the black ones?

Barrett Fike

Jun 7th, '05, 14:28
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 7th, '05, 14:28

Sorry, I meant to say six ounces in my last sentence. Also, I can't seem to get a consistant cup. It seems that I'm using the same amount of leaves, but sometimes it's light or darker. Gah, this is going to take some time to get the perfect cup.

Barrett Fike

Mod/Admin

Barrett,

One teaspoon of leaves per six ounce of water is the right ratio to use for both Yunnan Jig and Earl Grey Bravo teas. Allow both to steep five minutes, though. And if you still desire a stronger black tea, please consider the Golden Needle and Keemun Encore varieties. Both brew up very dark (similar to the tea in the video), with a strong aroma and flavor.

Michael

Mod/Admin

Well I was only confused because the leaves are so strangely shaped, it's hard to get an accurate teaspoon. Should it be a bulged teaspoon? Eh, I think I'm trying to make too much science out of it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the teas I've tried, I just wasn't sure if it should be brewed to a black color being a black tea and all. (Yes, I understand that black means it is fermented the longest.) Keemun is on my list of teas to try along with the Assam Melody.

Barrett

Mod/Admin

It is entirely a matter of taste. I have been taking Chinese black teas for years, buying mostly Yunnans and Keemun from fine sources here in Los Angeles and surrounding environs, where there are many Chinese people and demand for good tea. I like Keemun for everyday, many times a day, use. I put about a tablespoon in the porcelain infuser that sits in the cup, Chinese style; not cramped, it floats about freely and in less than one minute, VOILA, there is a fine cup. I can use the same leaves twice more to grand effect. I always used pots before, for loose tea, but these porcelain tea cups, with porcelain infusers that are roomy, and the cups have lids, too, to maintain warmth, I've found to be the best. It is not so much, how much, but how is the tea used? That is the question the noble mind must consider! As long as it is good, used to its best advantage, what more does one want? Propriety is learned, not taught. That is my experience.

Timothy

Jun 7th, '05, 14:29
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 7th, '05, 14:29

I think that I've perfected my cup, though sometimes it does come out bitter. I just approximate the time, so I may have to start using timers or the sort. I was just confused because the teabags that I've used brewed tea that is jet black, and these new ones are lighter, more beatiful colors. I just got my order of Assam and Keenum today. The Keenum is by far my favorite tea. Such a full flavor that sticks to the palette and comforts you with the cocoa undertones. Chances are this will be my main drinking tea. The Assam is tasty as well. Very smooth and silky. I need to get an infuser. I would prefer glass, though, so that I can see the tea in all its glory, dancing and flavoring the water.

Sorry. I'm a little overwhelmed with the doversity and full flavor that I've been missing out on. Mmmm.

Salem

Mod/Admin

Thanks for the great call to action.

And you don't even have to search far to find it... You get it right here at Adagio!!

Steeped in inspiration,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Mod/Admin

An interesting caveat here is that Chinese name for what's called "black tea" here in the US translates to "red tea". From what I've gathered, in China "Black Tea" means "Pu Erh" (which Adagio also has).
So perhaps "black tea" really shouldn't be black...
Of course if you really want a good dark black, just toss some random black (in Western terms) tea in a mortar & pestle and grind it up. The catch is it'll probably get bitter on you. I tried this with Sencha as per the Japanese tea ceremony method of using powdered tea. It got a bit bitter. I got a really dark green out of it though. The catch is I would have needed a paper filter or maybe some cheesecloth to get rid of the murky appearance. (tea dust in the brew)

Mike

Mar 22nd, '07, 07:19

Keemun Tea is very good!

by petercai0163 » Mar 22nd, '07, 07:19

Dear Timothy,
I am very pleased to know that you are a Keemun Tea drinker.
Allow me to introduce myself.
I am peter from Qimen Black Tea Co.,Ltd.our factory is located at the origin of Keemun Tea----Qimen County,Anhui Province,China.
we are a professional black tea maker,especially Keemun Tea.

Maybe you know,Keemun Tea has many functions to human body.

It can help or make you:

1.facilitate dieting;
2.relaxing and refreshing;
3.blood fat reducing;
4.reduce blood pressure;
5.prevent memory loss;
6.relieve stress;
7.taste yummy.

b.rgds,
peter cai
email:petercai163@gmail.com
msn messenger:childecy@hotmail.com

teachat wrote:It is entirely a matter of taste. I have been taking Chinese black teas for years, buying mostly Yunnans and Keemun from fine sources here in Los Angeles and surrounding environs, where there are many Chinese people and demand for good tea. I like Keemun for everyday, many times a day, use. I put about a tablespoon in the porcelain infuser that sits in the cup, Chinese style; not cramped, it floats about freely and in less than one minute, VOILA, there is a fine cup. I can use the same leaves twice more to grand effect. I always used pots before, for loose tea, but these porcelain tea cups, with porcelain infusers that are roomy, and the cups have lids, too, to maintain warmth, I've found to be the best. It is not so much, how much, but how is the tea used? That is the question the noble mind must consider! As long as it is good, used to its best advantage, what more does one want? Propriety is learned, not taught. That is my experience.

Timothy
Your Trustworthy Friend----------Peter Cai

Mar 22nd, '07, 11:33

by Mary R » Mar 22nd, '07, 11:33

Petercai, please take a breather. You've posted this exact same information in 7 of your 10 posts here. I know you mean well, but please realize that this has become very annoying. We all know your position on the purported health benefits of Keemun. Thank you for sharing them, but please give your Copy/Paste commands a vacation.

I apologize for being blunt--and, yes, rude--but I felt this needed to be said.

Mar 22nd, '07, 14:01

by vbguy772 » Mar 22nd, '07, 14:01

Mary,

Well said ! I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks.

Ron

Mar 22nd, '07, 22:02

by Cher » Mar 22nd, '07, 22:02

Yes, thank you Mary. Peter, your posts are extremely inappropriate and I too, request that you stop. You are clearly not contributing anything to this forum, and frankly, you would not be allowed to do this sort of thing in most internet forums. Duplicate posts and/or solicitations are typically deleted by mods. You should feel fortunate that the people at Adagio are so forgiving.

Mar 22nd, '07, 23:14

by Space Samurai » Mar 22nd, '07, 23:14

I have to agree with everyone else. You have nothing new to say, and what you have said is speculation and opinion.

Mar 23rd, '07, 01:05

A apology to everyone!

by petercai0163 » Mar 23rd, '07, 01:05

I am here to apologize to everyone!
I am so sorry for this.

b.rgds,
peter

Cher wrote:Yes, thank you Mary. Peter, your posts are extremely inappropriate and I too, request that you stop. You are clearly not contributing anything to this forum, and frankly, you would not be allowed to do this sort of thing in most internet forums. Duplicate posts and/or solicitations are typically deleted by mods. You should feel fortunate that the people at Adagio are so forgiving.
Your Trustworthy Friend----------Peter Cai

+ Post Reply