Have you had any of these??????

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 1st, '08, 18:28

Have you had any of these??????

by shogun89 » Aug 1st, '08, 18:28

Has anyone tried any of these things from pu erh shop?

2007 Guoyan Bulang star
2007 Guoyan Yiwu star
2006 Jinxiu old cha
2006 Menghai Laka
2007 Guoyan Classics "88" (I have the 66)
2005 Yian Ye Xiang
2003 Yiwu Longma

I know its allot but these are just some cakes that I'm interested in and would like to know if anyone here has any experience with them. If you do please write down what you thought about them.
Thanks for your help and happy drinkings! :D :o

Right now I am mostly looking at cakes to age. Is it true that the more bitter, smokey, strong it is when its young the stronger it will be when aged? Is that why you guys dont think the 2003 Keyixing cake wont be good for aging, because its so smooth and mellow so early in its life?

Aug 2nd, '08, 02:23

Re: Have you had any of these??????

by hop_goblin » Aug 2nd, '08, 02:23

shogun89 wrote:Has anyone tried any of these things from pu erh shop?

2007 Guoyan Bulang star
2007 Guoyan Yiwu star
2006 Jinxiu old cha
2006 Menghai Laka
2005 Yian Ye Xiang
2003 Yiwu Longma

I know its allot but these are just some cakes that I'm interested in and would like to know if anyone here has any experience with them. If you do please write down what you thought about them.
Thanks for your help and happy drinkings! :D :o

Right now I am mostly looking at cakes to age. Is it true that the more bitter, smokey, strong it is when its young the stronger it will be when aged? Is that why you guys dont think the 2003 Keyixing cake wont be good for aging, because its so smooth and mellow so early in its life?
I actually have

2007 Guoyan Bulang star
2007 Guoyan Yiwu star
2003 Yiwu Longma

Stay away from the 88.

Bulang and Yiwu star are good, but I prefer the Dragon and the Phoenix versions of the cake much more. I purchased a few of each and they seem to be doing well. As for the Yiwu Longma, awwh so so.

Smoke flavor is a processing defect albeit acceptable. Bitterness is essential but in the right amounts and the right kind.

Aug 2nd, '08, 12:13

by Wesli » Aug 2nd, '08, 12:13

I have the 88 and posted a review of it here.
Shogun wrote:Is it true that the more bitter, smokey, strong it is when its young the stronger it will be when aged? Is that why you guys dont think the 2003 Keyixing cake wont be good for aging, because its so smooth and mellow so early in its life?
You got it. That's what the old timers tell us, and that's why we don't think the 03 Keyixing will age well.

Aug 2nd, '08, 14:33

by shogun89 » Aug 2nd, '08, 14:33

What do you guys think of this cake, New at puerhshop.

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=567

Aug 2nd, '08, 17:37

by tony shlongini » Aug 2nd, '08, 17:37

shogun89 wrote:What do you guys think of this cake, New at puerhshop.

I'd pass on that one, or at least wait until I read a positive review from someone whose opinion I trust.
While I'm far from an expert on puerh, I am an expert on reading between the lines. Example: "Because the output of Jinggu local old tea tree is limited, the Guzhuang Pu-erh tea limits its production quantity each year to 120 tons." That represents roughly 300,000 beengs- not exactly a mom and pop operation.

Puerh shop seems to be a place to get less expensive products- they have, for example, the stars of yiwu and bulang, as opposed to the more upscale phoenix and dragon, and their selection of the more desirable cakes from Menghai, etc. are limited. Don't get me wrong- you can get some good bargains, their service is super fast, and they have a few very nice products at prices comparable to the "direct from China" sites (see their sole Haiwan offering, for example). So I'd be leery about trying a cake that's rather high priced by their standards from a no name producer.

Aug 2nd, '08, 17:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Aug 2nd, '08, 17:56

tony shlongini wrote: a few very nice products at prices comparable to the "direct from China" sites (see their sole Haiwan offering, for example).
Are you suggesting that the 2006 Haiwan Remote Mountain Ancient Tree is a nice beeng?

Aug 2nd, '08, 17:59

by shogun89 » Aug 2nd, '08, 17:59

tony shlongini wrote:

I'd pass on that one, or at least wait until I read a positive review from someone whose opinion I trust.
While I'm far from an expert on puerh, I am an expert on reading between the lines. Example: "Because the output of Jinggu local old tea tree is limited, the Guzhuang Pu-erh tea limits its production quantity each year to 120 tons." That represents roughly 300,000 beengs- not exactly a mom and pop operation.

Puerh shop seems to be a place to get less expensive products- they have, for example, the stars of yiwu and bulang, as opposed to the more upscale phoenix and dragon, and their selection of the more desirable cakes from Menghai, etc. are limited. Don't get me wrong- you can get some good bargains, their service is super fast, and they have a few very nice products at prices comparable to the "direct from China" sites (see their sole Haiwan offering, for example). So I'd be leery about trying a cake that's rather high priced by their standards from a no name producer.

I absolutely agree with you. I'm not even interested in that cake, I just wanted to see what people thought since it was new and all. Believe it or not but 300,000 beengs is not that many compared to all the other factories who put out multi millions. Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate it!

Aug 2nd, '08, 18:00

by hop_goblin » Aug 2nd, '08, 18:00

tony shlongini wrote:

A very lucid and well thought out comment of which I agree with entirely. Pu-erh Shop has its place i.e those who drink pu-erh on occasion or are expermenting, but if I had a choice to purchase more reliable products I certainly will. This is not too suggest that Pu-shop doesn't have an occasional diamond in the rough, but if you are seriously wanting to collect I would look overseas. You can never get that time you invest back from a bad beeng. You don't want to end up with a bunch of "hay" 20 years from now. But I guess if you can't tell the differences from one mountain or growing region or bad vs good sheng.. I guess it is a moot point to begin with.

Aug 2nd, '08, 18:32

by tony shlongini » Aug 2nd, '08, 18:32

Thanks, hop.

I believe there are various phases one goes through when getting one's feet wet with any hobby. There is always the "I've got to buy everything" phase, and although randomly selecting beengs that "sound good" will most likely yield a pile of pedestrian tea at best, or a horror show at worst, there is still the opportunity to see how the cakes mature over the years, if at all. In that regard, this hobby beats the hell out of wine. :lol: I received a cake of '08 Menghai 8582 that is less than stellar, but I look forward to revisiting it on a yearly basis.

The items I've received from Puerh Shop arrived (amazingly quickly) in what I'd consider "very good" condition. Other shops, though, did better- Angelina's Teas and Hou De delivered cakes that were nothing short of pristine. I think all of them, plus many others, have their place.

Aug 2nd, '08, 20:17

by hop_goblin » Aug 2nd, '08, 20:17

tony shlongini wrote:Thanks, hop.

I believe there are various phases one goes through when getting one's feet wet with any hobby. There is always the "I've got to buy everything" phase, and although randomly selecting beengs that "sound good" will most likely yield a pile of pedestrian tea at best, or a horror show at worst, there is still the opportunity to see how the cakes mature over the years, if at all. In that regard, this hobby beats the hell out of wine. :lol: I received a cake of '08 Menghai 8582 that is less than stellar, but I look forward to revisiting it on a yearly basis.

The items I've received from Puerh Shop arrived (amazingly quickly) in what I'd consider "very good" condition. Other shops, though, did better- Angelina's Teas and Hou De delivered cakes that were nothing short of pristine. I think all of them, plus many others, have their place.
Yes they all have great service. I prefer HouDe most of what he sells has been vetted well but it is so expensive. I generally scan the site, read his information and then call my connection in China to locate the beengs at a considerably cheaper price. SHOOO it will just be our secret! :lol:

Aug 2nd, '08, 21:21

by tony shlongini » Aug 2nd, '08, 21:21

hop_goblin wrote:
tony shlongini wrote:Thanks, hop.

Yes they all have great service. I prefer HouDe most of what he sells has been vetted well but it is so expensive. I generally scan the site, read his information and then call my connection in China to locate the beengs at a considerably cheaper price. SHOOO it will just be our secret! :lol:
That's funny.
Would that be Scott at YSLLC? He seems to have the best prices on a huge selection, but waiting two months for delivery taxes my patience (roughly equivalent to that of an eight year old) to the max.

I recently acquired some of his dragon/phoenix '07 Xi Zhi Hao. If you haven't tried that one yet, drop me a pm with your address and I'll be happy to send you a piece.

Aug 3rd, '08, 07:13

Premium Teas

by Jim Liu » Aug 3rd, '08, 07:13

All is about to take a turn at Puerh Shop.

We have made orders for half a dozen Dayi and half a dozen Xiaguan teas that are due to arrive.

As for premium teas, you would expect a number of great cakes on par with the best name you know.

Stay tuned...

Aug 3rd, '08, 09:50

by tony shlongini » Aug 3rd, '08, 09:50

Excellent news.

Good luck!

Aug 3rd, '08, 10:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Aug 3rd, '08, 10:30

Wow!

Aug 3rd, '08, 11:18

Re: Premium Teas

by hop_goblin » Aug 3rd, '08, 11:18

puerhshop wrote:All is about to take a turn at Puerh Shop.

We have made orders for half a dozen Dayi and half a dozen Xiaguan teas that are due to arrive.

As for premium teas, you would expect a number of great cakes on par with the best name you know.

Stay tuned...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Post Reply