Tuesday, TeaDay to you 8/05/08 Gongfu/gender bias?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Revisited. Do you gongfu and is there a gender bias in regards to this particular brewing practice?

I am female and I do gongfu
14%
I am a female and I semi gongfu
11%
I am a female and I do not gongfu
19%
I am a male and I do gongfu
30%
I am a male and I semi gongfu
11%
I am a male and I do not gongfu
12%
Other
4%

Total votes: 57

Aug 5th, '08, 03:57
Scrolling: scrolling

Tuesday, TeaDay to you 8/05/08 Gongfu/gender bias?

by Chip » Aug 5th, '08, 03:57

Yesterday, although it proved to be a tough question, the top Taiwan tea origins chosen were Alishan, Dong Ding, and Wenshan. You can still vote and discuss this topic.

Good TeaDay one and all. Shall we brew and share what is in our cups today, all day?

Today's TeaPoll, ok, a little easier than the last few days. Well, maybe? This is revisited from one of the earliest TeaDays, but I have an ulterior motive. Plus we have some newbies...PLUS, many methods have changed I suspect.

So, this is a question of brewing practice and gender. Please share whether you gong fu, semi gong fu, or simply do not gong fu. There is no right or wrong answer to this question. But it will be interesting to see if there is a gender bias. Please share with everyone whether you gongfu or not...and anything you would like to add regarding your brewing practices.

Gongfu for the purpose of this topic is a high leaf to water ratio, use of less water, and very short steeps.

Semi gongfu is a lighter approach than gongfu, but still significantly more leaf than the traditional/English 2.3 grams per 6 ounces water. Steep times are usually longer than gongfu and shorter than traditional. It is a compromise method borrowing positive aspects of gongfu and tradtional.

I am looking forward to sharing teaDay as always with everyone. Bottoms up!
Last edited by Chip on Sep 3rd, '08, 01:19, edited 2 times in total.

Aug 5th, '08, 04:35

by olivierco » Aug 5th, '08, 04:35

No puer for me for a long time. When I drink oolong, I use a gaiwan, about 4-5gr/3 oz: I guess you can call it gong fu.

This morning nothing yet. Yunnan golden tips in a few minutes.

Aug 5th, '08, 04:44

by omegapd » Aug 5th, '08, 04:44

The only thing I gong fu, like olivierco mentioned above, is Pu-erh. Even then, it's fun to do occasionally but I usually don't have the time nor patience to keep making 3 oz. cups over and over. I'd rather brew 8 oz. Western style and re-steep the leaves once or twice.

I'm still off work today, and the only plans is watching somebody install new carpet in the house, so I think this'll be a Pu-erh day for me. I'll actually have the time to gong-fu if I want to...

Enjoy the day!

EW

Aug 5th, '08, 05:45

2004 Six Famous Tea Mountain shu puerh

by Salsero » Aug 5th, '08, 05:45

Aug 5th, '08, 07:14

by Selaphiel » Aug 5th, '08, 07:14

I do Gong fu occasionally, but mostly when I have guests over for tea, when I'm alone I do it with Gaiwan like Olivierco said, I never make oolong western style.

Think I'm gonna try Jun Chiyabari Himalayan green today, heard good things about it.

Aug 5th, '08, 07:15

Re: 2004 Six Famous Tea Mountain shu puerh

by augie » Aug 5th, '08, 07:15

Salsero wrote:Post subject: 2004 Six Famous Tea Mountain shu puerh
Any more details? Where did it come from, etc . . .?

I am more of a "wrong fu" type gong fu'er. And not 100% of the time. I'm not as slick as the videos, burning my fingers and spilling tea all over the counter, but I try . . .

Enjoying a nice morning-long rain here in Indy. Going to go brew me some Pu now, power of suggestion after seeing Salsero's photo.

Aug 5th, '08, 07:21

by Selaphiel » Aug 5th, '08, 07:21

Like a wise man called Homer Simpson says: Trying is the first step towards failure :wink:

Aug 5th, '08, 07:40
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Aug 5th, '08, 07:40

augie wrote:power of suggestion after seeing Salsero's photo.
Yes, potent magic he's got there. I'm also tempted, but I usually grab the yixing pot instead of the gaiwan for this sort of thing.

It's got a little handle for less flesh-searing wackiness.

Aug 5th, '08, 08:11

by soapy » Aug 5th, '08, 08:11

I am female and I've done semi with oolong & puerh
especially i the leaves smells icky to me at first or look dirty

so sometimes I'm semi & sometimes I'm not (time thing, mood thing) so I voted other for that reason only..... I can't go back and change it so thought Id explain myself..... :roll:
Get Paid to go on Vacations and deduct ALL personal travel, car purchases, concerts, attractions,golfing, flowers, going to sport events and so much more.
ask me how!
http://travelsyourway.biz
What are you waiting for...Join Today!

Aug 5th, '08, 08:31

by Aphroditea » Aug 5th, '08, 08:31

I will admit that is was our bunch of rowdy boys that started me gongfuing. Wes had a vid he shared, Sal sent me some tea and a gaiwan and a filter. They all talked me through it.

Since then, I have found a teahouse nearby where I can gongfu under the watchful eye of the Taiwanese owner. She tells me that she had a man who taught her 'kungfu' (her shifu). And although I don't go in as often as she would like she is a bit like my shifu now, teaching me to refine my techniques.

So, NOW I am mostly learning from a woman. In general I have noticed that there does seem to be a gener bias, so this poll has totally gotten my curiosity up because I am wondering if it is only perceived or if there really is a gender gap here.

I will also note that I do not ALWAYS gongfu. I also gongfu more than just puerh. I gongfu most of my oolongs (not the flavored ones), some whites, some blacks (like nilgiri), and yellows. But, except for the puerh, when pressed for time I am also happy not gongfuing.

For me it is like meditation and I need the time and space to do it and being a busy mother does not always allow me one or both of those components. So, I enjoy my nights out to Formosa!

In my not gongfued cup this morning: Yunnan Gold!

Aug 5th, '08, 09:00

by shogun89 » Aug 5th, '08, 09:00

I semi gongfu, but soon to be full gongfu. I have the yixing teapots and a gaiwan a strainer and all of the tiny teacups. For my Birthday (October) I am going to get myself a little bamboo serving table and a device to keep hot water in. Could anyone tell me what that is called, its like a pitcher to hold your boiling water for steeping. I gongfu ALL my puerh, I've only done it western style once and never have since I got my gongfu vessels, I also gongfu all of my oolongs. All my others I do Western style in my testubin. No tea for this morning, I must deprive myself of liquids until its time for my afternoon/night puerh session. Have a good day everyone!

Aug 5th, '08, 09:14

by CynTEAa » Aug 5th, '08, 09:14

Semi - fu! :D

Aug 5th, '08, 09:25

by Salsero » Aug 5th, '08, 09:25

augie wrote:
Salsero wrote:2004 Six Famous Tea Mountain shu puerh
Any more details? Where did it come from, etc . . .?
About 20 months ago, two bricks of this were part of my first order from Yunnan Sourcing along with some Yunnan Gold. Scott no longer carries it, and back then he only identified it in English by year and manufacturer. It's pretty average. I selected it because it was recommended as inexpensive by someone who was then active in this forum under the screen name of Lebowitz from Indiana, PA.

Aug 5th, '08, 09:54

by joelbct » Aug 5th, '08, 09:54

I brew Western style myself- ~4 min for Black tea at 'Western" concentrations. I do like watching Gong Fu demonstration videos though ;) Perhaps if I get more into Oolong I will practice the Gong Fu method.

<--- today, Ceylon Pettiagalla FOP. An above-average, rather citrus-ey Ceylon, medium body.

Aug 5th, '08, 10:29

by Selaphiel » Aug 5th, '08, 10:29

I've tasted the green Jun Chiyabari tea from Nepal now, I'd recommend you tried it. It is quite interesting, a round smooth taste with hints of vanilla and vegetable.