Rishi '7 sons' puer?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 5th, '08, 11:56

Rishi '7 sons' puer?

by Bubba_tea » Aug 5th, '08, 11:56

Hey all -
I have some pu 'er in the cupboard and I don't know if I'm brewing right... the instructions on rishi's packaging seem wrong to me. It says to use a silver dollar sized chunk with boiling water for 3 mintues. If I steep a much smaller 3gm chunk for 30 seconds, it's black and thick like coffee. I believe the tea (it's back at home now) is the 7 sons ancient pu 'er (I'm sure Shu) tea cake. When I was at Dr. Tea in Beijing we had some wonderful fragrant light amber / golden ancient $180 / lb pu 'er that was royal. I'm thinking my brewing kung fu is not good enough... or I'm starting with the wrong pu 'er! Help?

Aug 5th, '08, 12:13

Re: Rishi '7 sons' puer?

by hop_goblin » Aug 5th, '08, 12:13

Bubba_tea wrote:Hey all -
I have some pu 'er in the cupboard and I don't know if I'm brewing right... the instructions on rishi's packaging seem wrong to me. It says to use a silver dollar sized chunk with boiling water for 3 mintues. If I steep a much smaller 3gm chunk for 30 seconds, it's black and thick like coffee. I believe the tea (it's back at home now) is the 7 sons ancient pu 'er (I'm sure Shu) tea cake. When I was at Dr. Tea in Beijing we had some wonderful fragrant light amber / golden ancient $180 / lb pu 'er that was royal. I'm thinking my brewing kung fu is not good enough... or I'm starting with the wrong pu 'er! Help?
WOW! I can't believe that Dr. Tea has a teashop in Beijing. Interesting. Well, I don't think that it is your brewing instructions. I think you are having some confusion on the Pu-erh itself. I believe the stuff from Rishi may be 'riped or cooked' pu-erh while Mr T's pu-erh is a sheng or raw variety. They are not one of the same. Do an net search for the two kinds and you will see what I mean.

Aug 5th, '08, 12:25

by chrl42 » Aug 5th, '08, 12:25

Bubba_tea wrote:Hey all -
Is Dr. T a teashop run in Beijing dealing with tourists?

Isn't it run by Korean?

I've heard numerous stories on that place..

And 7 sons ancient puerh means Qi Zi Bing Cha I guess?

Interesting Sound!

Aug 5th, '08, 12:28

by Space Samurai » Aug 5th, '08, 12:28

The Seven Sons is shu (ripe, cooked, what have you), and as I recall, it was fairly cheap. It may still have merits, but I wouldn't compare it to a much better pu.

Aug 5th, '08, 12:35

by chrl42 » Aug 5th, '08, 12:35

Space Samurai wrote:The Seven Sons is shu (ripe, cooked, what have you), and as I recall, it was fairly cheap. It may still have merits, but I wouldn't compare it to a much better pu.
Seven Sons or Qi Zi Beeng Cha(if I got it right), means 7 beengs-1 bundle and was born when Puerh makers succumbed to the goverment in manufactering during 70s' cultural revolution. Shu as well as Shengs..

Correct me if I'm wrong..

Aug 5th, '08, 12:41

by Bubba_tea » Aug 5th, '08, 12:41

chrl42 wrote:Is Dr. T a teashop run in Beijing dealing with tourists?

Isn't it run by Korean?

Interesting Sound!
Dui, hen you yi si!

I wouldn't be suprised! Here in the USA you have Chinese running Sushi shops, Chinese running Teriyaki shops, Japanese running Gyro shops etc etc - there's no exclusive market!

Dr. Tea is huge, that's for sure. Very good gong fu cha, very pretty gong fu artists :wink: .... BUT - they couldn't even get me a sample of some Yunnan Hong! I did buy a very interesting tea there - Ku Gan I think it was, 'Bitter Sweet'. Silvery looking tea, starts off very bitter, then changes to sweet in the aftertaste. I don't know what category of tea it would be in - maybe a white tea, not sure! Silver color and fuzzy coating.

I'm sure it's a shu cake - I think I should look at sheng instead.

Aug 5th, '08, 12:52

by chrl42 » Aug 5th, '08, 12:52

Bubba_tea wrote:
chrl42 wrote:Is Dr. T a teashop run in Beijing dealing with tourists?

Isn't it run by Korean?

Interesting Sound!
Dui, hen you yi si!

I wouldn't be suprised! Here in the USA you have Chinese running Sushi shops, Chinese running Teriyaki shops, Japanese running Gyro shops etc etc - there's no exclusive market!

Dr. Tea is huge, that's for sure. Very good gong fu cha, very pretty gong fu artists :wink: .... BUT - they couldn't even get me a sample of some Yunnan Hong! I did buy a very interesting tea there - Ku Gan I think it was, 'Bitter Sweet'. Silvery looking tea, starts off very bitter, then changes to sweet in the aftertaste. I don't know what category of tea it would be in - maybe a white tea, not sure! Silver color and fuzzy coating.

I'm sure it's a shu cake - I think I should look at sheng instead.
Ku Gan Lu!
That tea is from Yunnan.

And no, Korean running Puerh shops are rather safer than Chinese running Puerh shops. Just avoid Dr. T :)

Aug 5th, '08, 13:02

by Bubba_tea » Aug 5th, '08, 13:02

Thanks for that!

Ku Gan Lu - a high mountain white tea -
http://www.teaandcoffee.net/0206/tea.htm

Aug 5th, '08, 13:23

by Space Samurai » Aug 5th, '08, 13:23

chrl42 wrote:
Space Samurai wrote:The Seven Sons is shu (ripe, cooked, what have you), and as I recall, it was fairly cheap. It may still have merits, but I wouldn't compare it to a much better pu.
Seven Sons or Qi Zi Beeng Cha(if I got it right), means 7 beengs-1 bundle and was born when Puerh makers succumbed to the goverment in manufactering during 70s' cultural revolution. Shu as well as Shengs..

I don't know about all that, I'm just telling you what Rishi sold.

Aug 5th, '08, 14:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Aug 5th, '08, 14:55

chrl42 wrote:Seven Sons or Qi Zi Beeng Cha(if I got it right), means 7 beengs-1 bundle and was born when Puerh makers succumbed to the goverment in manufactering during 70s' cultural revolution. Shu as well as Shengs..

Aside from the interesting tidbit about the cultural revolution, that's the same story they told me! Most puerh cakes come in bundles of 7. That's also a tong, right?

Aug 5th, '08, 15:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Aug 5th, '08, 15:21

chrl42 wrote:

According to Babelcarp you are correct - Qi Zi means "Seven Sons. So, from what I've gathered elsewhere as well, the name "Yunnan Qi Zi Bingcha" means "Yunnan seven sons cake-tea" and was the name given to pu-erh during the cultural revolution, and refers to the number in a tong. CNNP prints this at the top of the label on their bings.

So yeah, it's a pretty generic name. It would be like naming a beer "beer beer" or "6-pack beer."

Aug 5th, '08, 18:00

by Bubba_tea » Aug 5th, '08, 18:00

ABx wrote:So yeah, it's a pretty generic name. It would be like naming a beer "beer beer" or "6-pack beer."
Woah! Does that mean the bottom of the pu'er tags have a little puzzle on them too??

(Uh.. maybe nobody here has had beer beer.. the bottom of the bottlecaps had little visual puzzles to make a phrase. The more you drank, the funnier the puzzles got :lol: I might be showing my age.. lol!)

+ Post Reply