Turkish tea

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jan 16th, '06, 19:30

Turkish tea

by Mina » Jan 16th, '06, 19:30

I tried Turkish tea for the first time today. Reminds me of Lapsong Souchong but without the smoked bacon flavor. This is a good thing. Where does Turkish tea stand in the hierarchy of black teas?

Jan 17th, '06, 23:04

by Mina » Jan 17th, '06, 23:04

By hierarchy I mean value. Based on the global market, I suppose. Like, at a tea auction, would Turkish tea (in general, I'm sure it varies by estate) fetch more than, less than, or the same as Darjeeling/Assam/Ceylon/Keemum/etc.

Teaclass is interesting for someone brewing the first pot or two but doesn't go into much detail beyond the basics.

Nov 13th, '18, 15:45

Re: Turkish tea

by RedTrudy » Nov 13th, '18, 15:45

Depends what you mean by Turkish tea. There are two types of Turkish tea. Tea grown in Turkey, of which I know very little. I had it once about 10 years ago from the Covent Garden Tea house (https://www.theteahouseltd.com/). It reminded me a bit of a low quality Chinese black tea.
And there is also tea drunk in the Turkish way. In Britain when you go into a Turkish Restaurant and order Turkish tea, you never get tea from Turkey, but you get a low grade broken Ceylon tea brewed very strong in a Samovar and sweetened with lumps of sugar. Tea is drunk from small tea glasses.

+ Post Reply