Well, I learned about rinsing the hard way...

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 7th, '08, 12:32

Well, I learned about rinsing the hard way...

by omegapd » Aug 7th, '08, 12:32

Our friend and neighbor (my neighbor at least) Salsero sent me some nice Pu samples awhile back with detailed instructions on how he prepares them. One was a little tea brick and he specifically said to rinse it for 20 or so seconds. I prepared the first brick just as he said, but yesterday I tried another one and decided to forego the rinse and brew it more along the lines of Western style (3g brick/9oz.water/4 minute first steep). The results were awful and totally different tasting than the first brick. Without a rinse, it had a bitter, strong, almost sour flavor- I likened it to a cup of old coffee you'd buy at a gas station...

So, now I know better. A question though- do I have to use boiling water for the rinse? I've been putting the kettle on the stove and letting the hot water run from the tap until it's almost scalding hot and have been using that to rinse while I'm waiting for the water to boil. Usually about 20-30 seconds or so. It seems to work for me, but I wonder how others do it.

Thanks,

EW

Aug 7th, '08, 12:50

by hop_goblin » Aug 7th, '08, 12:50

If it is shu or cooked, rinse with boiling water. If it is sheng I personally rinse with a lower temp.

Aug 7th, '08, 16:04

Re: Well, I learned about rinsing the hard way...

by augie » Aug 7th, '08, 16:04

omegapd wrote: So, now I know better. A question though- do I have to use boiling water for the rinse?
EW
I mostly drink cooked Pu Ehr and I will do a full infusion 20-40 sec., depending on what it is. I toss out that first infusion and drink #2. Just works out better for me.

Gas station coffee is worse than McDonald's.

Aug 9th, '08, 12:35

by Wesli » Aug 9th, '08, 12:35

Now that you've noticed the difference between well-rinsed and not, try out both methods and let us know which one you like more.

I, personally, would only use near-boiling temperatures.

Aug 9th, '08, 15:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Aug 9th, '08, 15:39

I'd say some jerk is unloading crummy tea on you. Consider a law suit.

I was surprised to see you belong to TeaMail.

Aug 9th, '08, 20:20

by omegapd » Aug 9th, '08, 20:20

Salsero wrote: I was surprised to see you belong to TeaMail.
Yeah, I've been a member for a long time and I think that was the first post I ever replied to. I normally just read it and delete it.

Aug 9th, '08, 20:40

by Salsero » Aug 9th, '08, 20:40

omegapd wrote:
Yeah, I've been a member for a long time and I think that was the first post I ever replied to. I normally just read it and delete it.
Same here. I guess you must have inspired me to make my first ever reply in nearly 2 years.

I get a little bored with some of the girlie tea chat , curl up with a good tea mystery stuff and the never ending recipes for holiday scones. But what the heck, many of us had women as mothers, best get used to them!

Aug 9th, '08, 20:57

by chamekke » Aug 9th, '08, 20:57

Salsero wrote:
omegapd wrote:
Same here. I guess you must have inspired me to make my first ever reply in nearly 2 years.

I get a little bored with some of the girlie tea chat , curl up with a good tea mystery stuff and the never ending recipes for holiday scones. But what the heck, many of us had women as mothers, best get used to them!
Wow, never heard of that one, even though I'm a girlie myself. Up until TeaChat, my sole tea forum was O-cha.

I do like Teamail's origami teapot, though :)

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 9th, '08, 21:02

by scruffmcgruff » Aug 9th, '08, 21:02

chamekke wrote:...my sole tea forum was O-cha.
Oh? What is your screen name over there (or is it chamekke... and I just completely missed it)?

Aug 9th, '08, 22:23

by chamekke » Aug 9th, '08, 22:23

scruffmcgruff wrote:
chamekke wrote:...my sole tea forum was O-cha.
Oh? What is your screen name over there (or is it chamekke... and I just completely missed it)?
It's chamekke... but I've only posted about 3 times or so. It's not surprising if you haven't spotted me.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 9th, '08, 22:29

by Salsero » Aug 9th, '08, 22:29

chamekke wrote: ... I've only posted about 3 times or so.
Just like here. She's shy, dontcha know. It's the stammer, makes her selfconscious.

+ Post Reply