Friday TeaRoom TeaDay 8/8/08 2008 Beijing Olympics

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

The Opening Cermonies for the 2008 Beijing Olympics are this evening. Will you be watching, maybe with Chinese tea?

I will definitely be watching
15%
I will try to catch most of it
15%
If nothing better comes up
13%
Likely not, not really interested
23%
Definitely not
23%
Other
10%

Total votes: 52

Aug 8th, '08, 02:11
Scrolling: scrolling

Friday TeaRoom TeaDay 8/8/08 2008 Beijing Olympics

by Chip » Aug 8th, '08, 02:11

Yesterday, there certainly seemed to be a gender bias also with English Tea brewing style. You can still vote and discuss this topic.

Today is 8/8/08, a magical day, eh, maybe, but it is TeaDay. Let's make it a special one for the ocassion. Be sure to share what is in your cup today, all day.

Today's Olympic TeaPoll. OK, it is vaguely tea related, after all it is China, right? Today is TeaRoom Friday. We take a break from some of the deeper topics of late, and lighten up a bit ... well, maybe.

Today's TeaPoll and TeaRoom discussion topic, will you be watching the Opening Ceremony of the Beijing Olympics this evening? This is about China, about the Olympics, about the the inevitable controversy surrounding the location of the Olympics. Are you excited about it, reserved, could not care less? Anything goes today. But remember, this is still friendly.

I am looking forward to sharing TeaDay in our TeaRoom with everyone. Bottoms up.
Last edited by Chip on Aug 16th, '08, 14:45, edited 3 times in total.

Aug 8th, '08, 02:14

by olivierco » Aug 8th, '08, 02:14

I prefer to watch sport events than a opening ceremony show.

I just had keemun with my breakfast.

Aug 8th, '08, 02:27

TEAputer

by Salsero » Aug 8th, '08, 02:27

The little illusion didn’t work too well, but some of you may recognize my lovely and talented assistant seated at the console. Click if you are a nosy parker, no one will ever know.

For Where’s Waldo fans, I count four jokers in this photo in addition to the five aces.
The tea, by the way, I initially thought was a forgettable 2000 CNNP Grand Red Label shu, but it is growing on me.

Aug 8th, '08, 02:49

Re: TEAputer

by Pentox » Aug 8th, '08, 02:49

Salsero wrote:The little illusion didn’t work too well, but some of you may recognize my lovely and talented assistant seated at the console. Click if you are a nosy parker, no one will ever know.

For Where’s Waldo fans, I count four jokers in this photo in addition to the five aces.
The tea, by the way, I initially thought was a forgettable 2000 CNNP Grand Red Label shu, but it is growing on me.
ooo love the tea table. Where'd ya get it? I'm amused how we can see you at the tripod in the mirror of the photo.

Aug 8th, '08, 02:55

by Geekgirl » Aug 8th, '08, 02:55

I'm more amused at the little CRT, and all of the photoshop books. Maybe I need a few of those.

Sincerely,
Photoshop Doof

Aug 8th, '08, 03:07

by Salsero » Aug 8th, '08, 03:07

Pentox wrote: ooo love the tea table. Where'd ya get it? I'm amused how we can see you at the tripod in the mirror of the photo.
Tea table from Stéphane at TeaMasters, about $40. That's where the nice photos are!
You found joker #4, the one I thought no one would find!
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: I'm more amused at the little CRT
...because it is an historical oddity? because it is small? because you are easily amused?Image

Aug 8th, '08, 06:06

by laran7 » Aug 8th, '08, 06:06

I voted other because I have no TV. We needed to have cable to have internet service - but I'm just to busy (scheduled) to have the distraction of a TV - with programs, and news I would probably want to see.

Lately I've been relying on NPR and Tea Chat to keep me informed of things I did not know I did not know. Its a vast field.

My only green tea drinking friend is coming over this morning to share some authentic Amish sourdough starter - also lately I've been making bread only when requested - it has been another practical, relaxing hobby that involves "nuances"
in development.

Seeing the tea table at your computer, Salsero, I see how one can make tea and
have time to post - great fun picture.
(I must remember to be cautious - an unnamed person I know dumped a cup of tea on her computer keyboard and that was the end of that.) :oops:

Aug 8th, '08, 06:48

by Selaphiel » Aug 8th, '08, 06:48

Don't really care much about the olympics. I'll probably have some tea though :D

Aug 8th, '08, 06:52

by Trey Winston » Aug 8th, '08, 06:52

laran7 wrote: (I must remember to be cautious - an unnamed person I know dumped a cup of tea on her computer keyboard and that was the end of that.) :oops:
I know what you mean. Losing a cup of tea can indeed be a grievous experience. I bet it was the first steep, too.

I'm not really interested in sports, and only watch the World Cup in soccer every four years. Add that to my recent reluctance to watch anything on TV except Mythbusters and The Simpsons, and it seems very unlikely that I'll watch much of the olympics.

Taking a break from my excessive SN addiction today, instead having some nice Kukicha.

Aug 8th, '08, 06:53

by Jack_teachat » Aug 8th, '08, 06:53

No won't be watching, not really interested in the opening ceremony or the games for that matter.

I have just returned from a couple of very enjoyable days and nights in Paris, although it is amazingly expensive! While there I visted a branch Palais Des Tes and the famous Mariage Freres, which was nice but amazingly over priced! Palais Des Tes was also a good shop but the staff pretty unhelpful, especially when I asked for a list of prices and the assitant told me he didn't have any even though I saw a few people in the shop with them, strange... maybe he misunderstood me.

This morning I have enjoyed a cup of Mariage Freres Darjeeling Himalaya, the bag of which I took from breakfast at my hotel. Also a pot of Fukamushi Shincha Supreme!

Jack :D

Aug 8th, '08, 07:11

by augie » Aug 8th, '08, 07:11

Salsero wrote: Click if you are a nosy parker, no one will ever know.
I always click, what a cool picture - like "I spy" for big kids. Gotta get me one of those monitor mirrors.

We are all looking forward to the Opening Ceremony here. However, I have a house full of 14 y.o. boys tonight who are planning on making another YouTube video. Not sure how all that is going to fit together. I may need a good drink, rather than tea, to get through this one! TGIF

Aug 8th, '08, 07:34

by laran7 » Aug 8th, '08, 07:34

Trey Winston wrote:
laran7 wrote: (I must remember to be cautious - an unnamed person I know dumped a cup of tea on her computer keyboard and that was the end of that.) :oops:
I know what you mean. Losing a cup of tea can indeed be a grievous experience. I bet it was the first steep, too.

:lol:, of course

Green tea this morning ,for a change, as soon as my friend gets here.

Aug 8th, '08, 07:57

by omegapd » Aug 8th, '08, 07:57

I am a sports junkie but have never gotten too involved with the olympics. This is baseball season for me. :lol:

Had an Oolong this morning just for a change. Probably going to be another Pu day overall, though.

EW

Aug 8th, '08, 08:42

by CynTEAa » Aug 8th, '08, 08:42

Sal, is that tea tin from SpecialTeas? Looks familiar. :) (BTW - What is the technical term for 'fear of clowns?')

Olympics - I hope to watch the opening ceremonies. It's interesting to see how each host country chooses to present itself. You can learn a lot culturally when someone puts their best foot forward (as well as when they think no one is looking.) :wink:

Yunnan Gold today as usual. It was just perfect. Good start to Friday!

Aug 8th, '08, 09:10

by Riene » Aug 8th, '08, 09:10

augie wrote:
Salsero wrote: Click if you are a nosy parker, no one will ever know.
I always click, what a cool picture - like "I spy" for big kids. Gotta get me one of those monitor mirrors.

We are all looking forward to the Opening Ceremony here. However, I have a house full of 14 y.o. boys tonight who are planning on making another YouTube video. Not sure how all that is going to fit together. I may need a good drink, rather than tea, to get through this one! TGIF
Augie, you'll be in my thoughts! :D A house full of teenage boys and the making of a youtube video sound like the recipe for quite the interesting evening. Got the local fire and rescue number handy?

Salsero, you should have put a clown warning on that photo. :shock: That tea tray is perched rather precariously!

Yorkshire tea for me this morning. I have to wake up quickly as the cable internet people are coming over soon. We're in-between ISPs right now, and this temporary dial-up connection is driving me insane.

No, probably won't watch the Olympics opening ceremonies, just don't care enough and haven't the time to spend in front of a TV. We may watch bits of the gymnastics, but that's about it.
Last edited by Riene on Aug 8th, '08, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.