Bai Hao Oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Aug 8th, '08, 15:54

Bai Hao Oolong

by shogun89 » Aug 8th, '08, 15:54

Hello everyone, I am fairly new here in the world of Oolongs and want to see if you guys can answer a question for me. For my birthday I am putting together a Gongfu brewing set from Dragon Tea house on Ebay. With all my new tea ware of course I am going to need a new tea! Right? Anyway I realy enjoyed adajio's Oolong #40, so am looking for something similar so I found the Bai Hao Oolong from DTH. I was wondering if any one had this type of oolong and whether they liked it. Also is it similar in taste to #40. I did not like adagio's #8 at alL, so if it tastes anything like that please tell me! The Pouchong and tie kuan yin where pretty good but a little too light and floral.
Thank you everyone for your help!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Premium-Bai-Hao-Ool ... m153.l1262

Aug 8th, '08, 16:14
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Aug 8th, '08, 16:14

I've not tried it but -
I think you will like it, seems close to what you are looking for.
Happy Birthday!

Aug 8th, '08, 16:17

by shogun89 » Aug 8th, '08, 16:17

Victoria wrote:I've not tried it but -
I think you will like it, seems close to what you are looking for.
Happy Birthday!
Thanks for the reply Victoria, But its not my Birthday yet :cry: . Its not until October 30, Yeah I know I'm a little before schedule.

Aug 8th, '08, 16:23

by Victoria » Aug 8th, '08, 16:23

Just chose the economy shipping.

:lol:

Aug 8th, '08, 16:27

by shogun89 » Aug 8th, '08, 16:27

Victoria wrote:Just chose the economy shipping.

:lol:
Yeah, I emailed him about how much it will cost to ship all my stuff, and it will be about $25. The total price is still way cheaper than what it would cost here in the US.

Aug 8th, '08, 17:00

by Salsero » Aug 8th, '08, 17:00

I had 100 grams of the Summer 2005 Bai Hao, Oriental Beauty, from Gordon at DTH. What you are looking at is undoubtedly a more recent harvest, possibly even a different supplier, I am not a big fan of Bai Hao, and I have never tried the Adagio product, so my comment is prolly close to meaningless, but ....

Early last year, I found it to be pretty sweet (typical for BH) smooth like cream soda, a little smokey. It made me think of the vanilla center of a chocolate, but without the chocolate. I also found off and on, fruity (peachy and apricot) grain and it offered a little viscosity. It was clearly not a great Bai Hao, but it gave me something to think about and was a notch above those sort of namless "Formosa Oolongs" sold by the big tea companies in the USA.

If you like this sort of flavor profile, you will probably enjoy it as a frequent little treat at a reasonable price. If you want the best of Bai Hao, you will be disappointed and would be better off looking at someplace like TeaMasters or one of the more boutique online stores specializing in Taiwanese tea and expecting a much higher price tag.

Good luck ... and happy birthday in case I forget over the next 3 months.

Aug 8th, '08, 17:42

by rodstnmn » Aug 8th, '08, 17:42

Hi Shogun,

By coincidence I am having a Bai Hao oolong from Teacuppa, right now, which arrived this morning five days after I placed the order.
I ordered the five oolongs that were recommended by ABx from the "Which first oolong tea?" thread that is just under this thread.
My order was large enough to qualify for free shipping and I had only a $7.00 COD charge this morning at the door.
So far I can recommend Teacuppa's Bai Hao. It is better than the one I have from my local tea shop.

Aug 8th, '08, 17:51

by Salsero » Aug 8th, '08, 17:51

rodstnmn wrote: to qualify for free shipping and I had only a $7.00 COD charge this morning at the door
C O D? Is that how you spell free shipping in Chinese?

Aug 8th, '08, 18:04

by betta » Aug 8th, '08, 18:04

Shogun, I've tried the Hsin Chu bai hao oolong 2006 which is claimed to be the A grade quality. It's damn damn expensive.
What I can say about bai hao is very superior in terms of floral and very clear aroma, with light sweet aftertaste.
There's one other high mountain oolong which is also made to resemble the bai hao oolong but at far more affordable price, it is the guei fei (concubine) oolong. It's also organic grown high mountain oolong with rolled leaves.
It's also very floral but less clear distinctive aroma, moreover it has stronger aftertaste. Well, it depends on the degree of roasting.

I'm not a beneficiary of this tea shop, but I would recommend Teahomeus on ebay for high mountain oolong. Their price is far lower than other highly inflated teashop, but their stuffs live up to the description and also my expectation.

Aug 8th, '08, 20:28

by rodstnmn » Aug 8th, '08, 20:28

Salsero wrote:C O D? Is that how you spell free shipping in Chinese?
Yes it is.
chuckle,chuckle

Aug 9th, '08, 13:27

by Mengxia » Aug 9th, '08, 13:27

Edit by Chip. Please refer to TeaChat rules for guidance for new members. I particularly refer you to #6. TeaChat Rules Thanks for your cooperation and understanding. I have removed your links as a courtesy instead of deleting your post.

I've not had Adagio's #40, but I can guess at the flavour from the description.

If you're looking for a dark oolong that's not too flowery, you might actually consider ZhiTea's Sechong Oolong.

Actually, they have an excellent Bai Hao as well.

Since they're based in America their shipping may be cheaper for you, and since it's an organic tea you won't risk tainting your lovely new gongfu equipment with chemicals. (I'm big into organics, so that's an important selling point for me. Maybe not so much for others!)

Aug 9th, '08, 13:38

by Salsero » Aug 9th, '08, 13:38

It's weird how much the zhitea site looks like Agagio's. Is there some explanation?

Aug 9th, '08, 13:53

by Mengxia » Aug 9th, '08, 13:53

No idea. In my experience, most tea websites tend to look similar. Adagio's website reminds me of TeaGschwendner's website, too.

Aug 9th, '08, 16:34

by shogun89 » Aug 9th, '08, 16:34

Mengxia wrote:Edit by Chip. Please refer to TeaChat rules for guidance for new members. I particularly refer you to #6. TeaChat Rules Thanks for your cooperation and understanding. I have removed your links as a courtesy instead of deleting your post.

I've not had Adagio's #40, but I can guess at the flavour from the description.

If you're looking for a dark oolong that's not too flowery, you might actually consider ZhiTea's Sechong Oolong.

Actually, they have an excellent Bai Hao as well.

Since they're based in America their shipping may be cheaper for you, and since it's an organic tea you won't risk tainting your lovely new gongfu equipment with chemicals. (I'm big into organics, so that's an important selling point for me. Maybe not so much for others!)
Thanks for the tip, I will check out that tea. Its good to hear that its organic, while I dont strive to purchase organic, I will if its right in front of me, Its just a nice little bonus.

Sep 16th, '08, 14:16

by expatCanuck » Sep 16th, '08, 14:16

Salsero wrote:It's weird how much the zhitea site looks like Agagio's. Is there some explanation?
Strikes me as having elements of both the adgio & specialteas sites. But cleaner.

UptonTea has a nice organic Bai Hao oolong. Somewhat lighter / crisper than the adagio or SpecialTeas offerings. But I think that all have more in common than they do differences.

I recently went through a pound of Bai Hao from generationTea. It was on sale. Had the typical Bai Hao flavor, tho' a little light in the cup. But certainly worth the $50 I paid. It lasted about a year.

- Richard

+ Post Reply