Augie's Surprise Tea Gift

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Aug 8th, '08, 23:13

Augie's Surprise Tea Gift

by augie » Aug 8th, '08, 23:13

This is long, I apologize. It is also a delicate matter. My husband rec'd a gift of tea this week that is actually a re-gift. A friend of "J's" at work gave him this tea which was a thank you from a 3rd co-worker. "J's" friend doesn't like tea and J couldn't get him to try it. :? Once again, J's supervisor looked over the can and translated while they shared a cup. "Yuk", she said, "it tastes like Japanese green". (I didn't think so, however it does have a mild astringency.)

S.F. said it's a green oolong (which I surmised after tasting) to be brewed 3 minutes at 90C. If you're into TCM it is a tea that balances a hot meal or if you've had a little excess alcohol. Then she turned red and would not read anymore -- it is obviously good for something of a sexual nature she would not share! :shock:

Sooooo . . . . here it is:

I used about 2 kitchen teaspoons of leaf (some whole, many broken, contains stem) and followed the 3min/90C brew. I was so surprised at how light the liquor was! However, it did have a good light flavor. Somewhat astringent & vegetal but with a definate oolong background flavor. Only good for 2 infusions, then it's done.

I bought another green Oolong last fall from Hou De, but didn't like. This one was pretty good, but only good for 2 infusions. I didn't try my gaiwan b/c there is so much broken leaf & stem it would make a mess.

The actual giver said it was an Oolong from her home province/state whatever. There is a lake in the picture on the can that is very famous lake in China that she said anyone from China would look at that picture and instantly know where it is. There is a URL of www.fwcx.com that doesn't produce anything for me.

In very small type at the bottom:
Hang Zhou West Lake District Long Wu Refined Tea Factory

Any ideas what this might be? Thanks in advance.

Aug 9th, '08, 01:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Aug 9th, '08, 01:57

West Lake Dragonwell green tea.

Aug 9th, '08, 09:21

by augie » Aug 9th, '08, 09:21

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:West Lake Dragonwell green tea.
Thanks. I was very surprised when I opened the can and foil wrap. The leaves are FLAT, like they've been pressed in wax paper between the pages of a book. The ony greens I have purchased are sencha and houjicha. I have tried dragonwell before, but I ordered the Adagio tea bags, so I couldn't see the leaves properly.

Husband said he only got two infusions out of it, but I did 4 last night.

Thanks GGU

Aug 9th, '08, 11:57

by Chip » Aug 9th, '08, 11:57

Thanks for sharing Augie. I collect Asian tea tins and never saw that one.

Yeah, it is not the prettiest Xi Hu (West Lake) Long Jing I have seen, but I would bet that is what it is as well, or at least Long Jing.

The leaves of Long Jing are flattened when they are pan fired. Plus it is from a West Lake Company.

Here is a nice looking higher quality one. Lion Long Jing

Often tea sold in Asian tins are of inferior quality, not always. A good one is going to approach 40 bucks for 100 grams. A great one, much higher.

Aug 9th, '08, 15:34

by Salsero » Aug 9th, '08, 15:34

I never brew long jing that hot or that long. You might give it at spin at like 160° for 1 minute and see how that goes. It sounds like it could be a very high quality LJ if it wasn't wildly astringent and awful tasting after you cooked the p**s out of it for 3 minutes at a high temp.

Aug 9th, '08, 16:00

by Chip » Aug 9th, '08, 16:00

Salsero wrote:I never brew long jing that hot or that long. You might give it at spin at like 160° for 1 minute and see how that goes. It sounds like it could be a very high quality LJ if it wasn't wildly astringent and awful tasting after you cooked the p**s out of it for 3 minutes at a high temp.
If you go this low, temp wise, I strongly recommend preheating your brewing vessel. I go hotter for most LJ, around 170 in a preheated pot. 1-3 minutes depending on the LJ, but usually 1-2.

While it may taste good if brewed well, it is not HQ judging from the color and broken appearance. A good LJ should be pale greenish/yellowish leaf. Never brownish.

However, LJ can also be brewed with cooler water as well, or even cold brewed for iced tea. Tasty.

Aug 9th, '08, 16:36

by chamekke » Aug 9th, '08, 16:36

Chip wrote:Thanks for sharing Augie. I collect Asian tea tins and never saw that one.
"Photo or it didn't happen."

Seriously... I would really love to see a picture of your collection of Asian tea tins!

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 9th, '08, 18:03

by Chip » Aug 9th, '08, 18:03

chamekke wrote:
Chip wrote:Thanks for sharing Augie. I collect Asian tea tins and never saw that one.
"Photo or it didn't happen."

Seriously... I would really love to see a picture of your collection of Asian tea tins!
I am 100% virtual. :lol:

Yeah ... I gotta get on it. I have been freeloading on everyone elses photos toooo long.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 9th, '08, 22:11

by augie » Aug 9th, '08, 22:11

Thanks for all your help. I have had a few experiences last fall with dragonwell. Then I ordered Sencha (world of difference). So I will try your brewing suggestions.

The person who translated told J. it was a green Oolong. This was J's supervisor, so he certainly wasn't going to question her translation abilities. Our translator is originally from Hong Kong. She is not super knowledgeable about Chinese tea, however will not drink American supermarket tea either. I'd love to pick her brain about TCM.

Soooo, Chip (GGU or Salsero). What do you think the hilighted benefit listed on this tin could have been that would make S.F. blush and stop reading????? :wink:

"Oooh . . . I can't tell you that!" :oops: She said.

Aug 9th, '08, 22:17

by Chip » Aug 9th, '08, 22:17

augie wrote:Soooo, Chip (GGU or Salsero). What do you think the hilighted benefit listed on this tin could have been that would make S.F. blush and stop reading????? :wink:

"Oooh . . . I can't tell you that!" :oops: She said.
...ummm, send me the TIN and I will let you know! :D
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 9th, '08, 22:50

by Salsero » Aug 9th, '08, 22:50

augie wrote: What do you think the hilighted benefit listed on this tin could have been that would make S.F. blush and stop reading?????
I don't know, but I'm pretty sure I've got it! Image

Aug 10th, '08, 08:39

by augie » Aug 10th, '08, 08:39

Salsero wrote:I don't know, but I'm pretty sure I've got it!
BOYS! Ugh . . . I'll never find out. :?

+ Post Reply