Monday 8/11/08 How do you rate Chinese teas overall?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Taking EVERYTHING into consideration, how do you rate Chinese teas overall?

5 I rate them THE highest of all teas
19%
4 I rate them very highly, on par or better than almost all teas
57%
3 Average
15%
2 Below average
2%
1 I rate them lowest of all teas
No votes
Other
6%

Total votes: 47

Aug 11th, '08, 02:43
Scrolling: scrolling

Monday 8/11/08 How do you rate Chinese teas overall?

by Chip » Aug 11th, '08, 02:43

Yesterday, many TeaChatters indicated they had tried around half the 10 Famous Teas of China. You can still vote and discuss this topic.

Welcome everyone to TeaDay! Shall we brew and share what is in our cups today, all day?!?

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic takes us to where else, China! How would you rate teas from China in YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE. Please share how you rate them overall ... and why?

It is Monday, more than ever, I am looking forward to sharing TeaDay with everyone, botttoms up!
Last edited by Chip on Aug 16th, '08, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 11th, '08, 03:12

Mengku * Mu Ye Chun * Raw Tea Cake of Yongde

by Salsero » Aug 11th, '08, 03:12

A cup of Puerh and an image of one of those masks from the famous Chinese Opera, which is so memorably depicted in the sweeping epic film of 20th-century China, Farewell My Concubine, by director Kaige Chen. As an aside, another magnificent Chinese movie, The King of Masks*, features a street-art version of Chinese masked performance, Sichuan Change Art. King also features people drinking from gaiwans and a fertility procession in honor of Guan-yin.

* Biàn Liǎn, 变脸, director Wu Tianming
More info about Sichuan Face Changing art here

Aug 11th, '08, 03:53

by olivierco » Aug 11th, '08, 03:53

Nice chataku Salsero!

There are some high quality teas from China but also many low quality ones. Another problem is that when you find a very good one, its next year harvest could be disappointing.

This morning Yunnan golden tips.

Aug 11th, '08, 04:12

by Trey Winston » Aug 11th, '08, 04:12

Chinese teas are at the top of my list.
I haven't actually tried that many teas from other areas, but white teas are largely Chinese.

Aug 11th, '08, 04:23

by Salsero » Aug 11th, '08, 04:23

olivierco wrote:Nice chataku Salsero!
For what it's worth, the Japanese name is Yonsun Surinunohari Chataku. The Japanese agent's translation wasn't too helpful: "4 'Sun' size, a friction cloth covered, teacup holder." That seems like a lot of English words to replace 3 Japanese words. The basic cost from Moku was only $2.80 before the postage and agent fee, etc.

And yes, it is very nice. Thanks!

Aug 11th, '08, 05:06

Chinese Tea

by jazzi » Aug 11th, '08, 05:06

Most of the tea you can find in CHINA, it has so many absolutely different tea, green tea, black tea, Yunnan tea, white tea, yellow tea and Flowery tea.

And as normally every kind of tea has lots of grades, but pure loose leaf tea is more popular in China not blend tea.

For Chinese tea, is not just tea leaf, the water, teaware, brewing way are all very important to the last drink.

In ancient China, drinking tea is a way to imporve yourself.

Daniel

Aug 11th, '08, 07:51

by omegapd » Aug 11th, '08, 07:51

It ranks pretty high up there for me...

2005 Tongqing Pu erh in my cup today...probably all day...

EW

Aug 11th, '08, 08:26

by augie » Aug 11th, '08, 08:26

Other than assam, I don't believe I have tried anything other than chinese tea and Japanese teas. To the best of my recollection. When I am feeling green, I try to order japanese green tea. Although, this week I have had two Chinese green teas cross my path by a happy coincidence. A co-worker shared some Dragonwell with my husband this week. We also have a new tea store in Indy and my husband wanted to try some gunpowder.

10 days until school starts. :lol:

Aug 11th, '08, 09:29

by neowolf » Aug 11th, '08, 09:29

Very high, it's hard not to after all!

Today I've got iced chamomile with me~

Aug 11th, '08, 10:13

Re: Chinese Tea

by laran7 » Aug 11th, '08, 10:13

jazzi wrote:Most of the tea you can find in CHINA, it has so many absolutely different tea, green tea, black tea, Yunnan tea, white tea, yellow tea and Flowery tea.

And as normally every kind of tea has lots of grades, but pure loose leaf tea is more popular in China not blend tea.

For Chinese tea, is not just tea leaf, the water, teaware, brewing way are all very important to the last drink.

In ancient China, drinking tea is a way to imporve yourself.

Daniel
I voted the highest possible of all teas - there is just so much more than just a "cuppa" going on ; Chinese tea culture brings the intellectual ,spiritual, social; medicinal facets together and makes it possible for ordinary people to take part to the extent of their interest and need.

I'm not impatient.
I watch grass grow.

In honor of having said that I'm going to make gunpowder ( tea!) this morning -

Aug 11th, '08, 10:43

by olivierco » Aug 11th, '08, 10:43

I chose 4/5 in the poll because I prefer japanese greens.

Bancha with my lunch
Kirameki shincha this afternoon.

Aug 11th, '08, 10:51

by xine » Aug 11th, '08, 10:51

Chinese teas are high up on my list...so much variety, and like many of you all have said, it's very much in tune with their culture and practices.

On a side note- I ended up watching the opening ceremonies for the olympics- nuts!!! (sorry if this was mentioned over the weekend).

And if I might share with you all, I found a new tea spot in my SO's neck of the woods. Over 200 types of tea, and beautiful teaware (albeit $$) as well as good treats (ahem, Amai cookies!!). Apparently it had been opened for a year, but I just saw something on it in the latest issue of NJ Magazine, which featured good eats around the state, including this tea room in one of their features.

http://southsilkroad.com/cha-ma-gu-dao.php

They also have a website http://southsilkroad.com that sells their variety. A very clean, ZEN, place that I hope to visit again soon!

Aug 11th, '08, 11:02

by jewelbug » Aug 11th, '08, 11:02

I went with #4. Most of what I have tried has been Chinese, with some Japanese and a few Indian teas thrown in. Oh, and one Bolivian. I've been happy with a lot of my Chinese teas, so I can only assume they rate high up, but I couldn't give them the highest rating since I don't feel I have enough in my repertoire to compare them to. I've quite enjoyed some of the Japanese greens I've tried, afterall. Ever the diplomat...

This morning's cup (long gone): The final steep of last night's pouchong (in honor of bronzebed's pic yesterday).
Next up: Assam/candy apple iced.

Aug 11th, '08, 11:11

by bronzebed » Aug 11th, '08, 11:11

jewelbug wrote: This morning's cup (long gone): The final steep of last night's pouchong (in honor of bronzebed's pic yesterday).
Next up: Assam/candy apple iced.
that's awesome. i hope ya really enjoyed it. today i had pouchong as well.

to me japanese teas are the best but teas from china rank in at a very close second. i find the more chinese teas i try, the closer the gap gets to japanese teas.

Aug 11th, '08, 11:22

by henley » Aug 11th, '08, 11:22

Considering some of my favorite teas are Chinese, I had to vote 4.

Sal, like the Chinese mask. Nice touch!

Was a bad girl today. Hubby's taking today off work so he & I had last night's dessert for bfast this morning. On the plate is Pound Cake that I made yesterday using my gma's recipe. Topped it w/fresh strawberries, blueberries & real whipped cream. Enjoyed it this morning w/a pot of Golden Monkey. Mmmmm! Will be sharing the rest of the cake w/my FIL to get it out of my house!!!