Puerh Shop?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 10th, '08, 22:48
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Aug 10th, '08, 22:48

edkrueger wrote: Puerhshop.com has made me loose faith in pu-erh.net. Not the opposite way around.
In all fairness to both parties, that review was written a year and a half ago, probably just after Jim opened his doors ... at least as a puerh shop. Much of what the review says is still true, it's just that now there are a lot of customers who can report personal experience. A fledgling new business is always going to have to overcome some skepticism.

Additionally, there was a blow up within the last year when a very distinguished blogger, Geraldo (geraldoxyz), got upset because Jim had "borrowed" some of Geraldo's written comments and applied them to a different tea ... without attribution to Geraldo. Clearly a serious misstep in the TEAnternet world. There was also some monkey business with a description. Those event put me off Jim's shop for some time. To see the flap read HERE.

My intention is not to be unduly harsh to anyone, just to point out that only in cowboy movies are there white hats and black hats. Mike Petro of Pu-erh.net has been semi absent from the internet for many months now and I would not be surprised if some of his material is dated, but it is still the first stop on the Puerh learning curve, and a huge public service.

Aug 11th, '08, 01:00

In case you don't know ...

by Jim Liu » Aug 11th, '08, 01:00

In case you don't know, we had some worse comments. See the link here:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food ... puerh+shop#

I am not trying to pretend I am a Saint. The mistakes were made during these earlier days, there is no excuse.

Our mandate is still to make Pu-erh tea accessible in USA, and I believe we are getting there. Isn't it better to have an alternative who wishes to learn and made some progress?

We survived all hardship and match on, thanks to your supports.

Aug 11th, '08, 01:12

by PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 11th, '08, 01:12

Being pretty knew to puerh in general I can't say I was there when anything mentioned so far had gone down, but I know in my personal experience I have had nothing but good experiences from Jim and puerhshop. I understand that a good range of products should be available and agree more "high end" and "well known" teas should be offered but what you've accomplished so far is very commendable.

Aug 11th, '08, 01:27

Re: In case you don't know ...

by Salsero » Aug 11th, '08, 01:27

puerhshop wrote: I am not trying to pretend I am a Saint. The mistakes were made during these earlier days, there is no excuse.
LOL I had forgotten about that big blow up on RFDT. Some very volatile guys there ... including our beloved Jason ... and they don't let anyone get away with anything! I especially like Phyll's comment "Tough crowd here... :)." Actually that pair of incidents gave me (and probably others) negative feeling about Puerhshop for a long time.

It's a real tribute to you, Jim, that you learned from mistakes and kept going when things must have seemed pretty dark. I know I have come 180° in my attitude toward Puerhshop. I suppose the RFDT experience is part of why you were so upfront about being a vendor when you joined this forum. RFDT gets so many trashy vendors pretending to be consumers that they get very tired of it and they can be very cranky very quickly.

The domestic pu market has enormous potential and I hope you are very successful.

As far as I know, you are the only vendor who actually participates in TeaChat, though I know that several lurk, and I am glad that they do.

Aug 11th, '08, 08:36

by shogun89 » Aug 11th, '08, 08:36

Whether Jim's products are superior or not I think the point of Puerh shop is to introduce yourself to puerh, try it, learn to love it as I did. If it wasn't for puerh shop I would probably be board to death right now drinking the same old tea's. Puerh is no ordinary tea and I think that Jim has done a wonderful job of bringing us some fairly tasty teas at a very reasonable price. Any way good luck to you Jim with your store, and you've got my support.

Aug 11th, '08, 10:37

by tony shlongini » Aug 11th, '08, 10:37

That's the trouble with old and outdated internet posts. This one's from a year and a half ago.

If someone were to say that the service of a four star restaurant was subpar on opening night, I'd take it with a grain of salt, as any business will have a lot of details to hammer out.

As for PS, I can only speak from my limited experience, which was pleasant enough to warrant continued transactions.

Aug 11th, '08, 10:52

by tony shlongini » Aug 11th, '08, 10:52

In my last order, I picked up Guoyan's stars of Yiwu and Bulang. They cost less than if had I bought them from the Chinese ebay stores, and I'll probably finish them by the time they would have arrived from China. Add in a $10 sale, and I couldn't be happier.

Would I have preferred to be able to buy the Dragon and Phoenix versions of those teas, not to mention their more upscale breathren? Of course, but I'm happy to have been able to get these at a good price and delivered in a flash. If Jim can get the others, and more, I wouldn't mind ordering them from him, either.

Aug 11th, '08, 13:56

by heavydoom » Aug 11th, '08, 13:56

i have yet to try jim's boutique.

Aug 11th, '08, 15:23

by Proinsias » Aug 11th, '08, 15:23

Only had one order, all went well.

Will be back to puerhshop in future, as much to do with having increased confidence everytime Jim posts here as it is with being happy with the order and service.

Aug 11th, '08, 16:53

by heavydoom » Aug 11th, '08, 16:53

tony shlongini wrote:In my last order, I picked up Guoyan's stars of Yiwu and Bulang. They cost less than if had I bought them from the Chinese ebay stores, and I'll probably finish them by the time they would have arrived from China. Add in a $10 sale, and I couldn't be happier.

Would I have preferred to be able to buy the Dragon and Phoenix versions of those teas, not to mention their more upscale breathren? Of course, but I'm happy to have been able to get these at a good price and delivered in a flash. If Jim can get the others, and more, I wouldn't mind ordering them from him, either.

i found one ebay chinese store that sells them cheaper but who care, right? :lol:

Aug 11th, '08, 17:11

by PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 11th, '08, 17:11

heavydoom wrote:i found one ebay chinese store that sells them cheaper but who care, right? :lol:
Well there is the cost of shipping and the (mental) cost of actually having to wait to get it. Thats what I like about puerhshop, you get your order extremely quick and its packed well and everything. I do admit though, the ebay stores are very nice and carry so many things. The problem is you pretty much have to buy a whole cake no matter what, where you can get plenty of different samples from PS.

Aug 11th, '08, 17:12

by heavydoom » Aug 11th, '08, 17:12

true.

Aug 11th, '08, 18:38

by tony shlongini » Aug 11th, '08, 18:38

Proinsias wrote:shaving as well as tea addict?
Hey- that's an art form.

Aug 11th, '08, 18:45

by tony shlongini » Aug 11th, '08, 18:45

heavydoom wrote: i found one ebay chinese store that sells them cheaper but who care, right? :lol:
$21 vs. $19 with higher shipping and a longer wait? That one was a no brainer for me.

Now if he only had their Yi Wu Zheng Shan, 20th Anniversary, Golden Pig, or Lao Ban Zhang..........

Aug 12th, '08, 01:25

lost goods

by Jim Liu » Aug 12th, '08, 01:25

Ya, I got them.

But many good stocks were lost during shipping. I still don't know where my shipments are till this day!

I am glad I was offered XZH but I did not take them, or my loss would be mounted too high.

Of course I don't believe the pricing of XZH in the first place.

+ Post Reply