First time

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 12th, '08, 11:31

First time

by taitea » Aug 12th, '08, 11:31

I have never tried any pu-erh tea before. I recently got suckered into visiting a gimmicky type tea shop where everything is all about packaging and every tea is described by what it does for you (for example, pu-erh lowers cholesterol and improves blood circulation).

I ended up getting some samples, one of which was simply called "pu-erh black tea". So I guess this probably will not be a good tea to try to generalize with, but I found that the tea has a very fishy aroma and taste. Fishy as in fish-like, not suspicious. Is this true for most pu-erhs?

Aug 12th, '08, 11:45

Re: First time

by shogun89 » Aug 12th, '08, 11:45

taitea wrote:I have never tried any pu-erh tea before. I recently got suckered into visiting a gimmicky type tea shop where everything is all about packaging and every tea is described by what it does for you (for example, pu-erh lowers cholesterol and improves blood circulation).

I ended up getting some samples, one of which was simply called "pu-erh black tea". So I guess this probably will not be a good tea to try to generalize with, but I found that the tea has a very fishy aroma and taste. Fishy as in fish-like, not suspicious. Is this true for most pu-erhs?
What you speek of is true for many low quality shu puerh or Cooked, ripe. This puerh uses low grade leaves and is stored in a very humid environment to boost fermentation, Some like it some hate it, Most quality puerh collection shun it. What you should try is a sheng puerh, This is an authentic puerh, stored under proper conditions it can bring out some truly amazing flavors. I recommend getting a few cakes from this store. The prices are pretty good and shipping is fast and cheap. http://www.puerhshop.com/
I highly recommend getting this cake
http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=153
This cake is a nice sheng, I have the cake myself and really enjoy it. Its alot of tea for the price. This tea has a nice aroma no smokiness and the tastes of fruit with a sweet after taste. Check out my review of it here,
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?t=5842

I hoped this helped, Good luck with your puerh and if you decide tto buy something please share.
Take care
:D

Aug 12th, '08, 12:24
Scrolling: scrolling

by Dizzwave » Aug 12th, '08, 12:24

taitea wrote:Fishy as in fish-like, not suspicious.
You might try airing out the leaves for a few days.. Just put them in a dish or something, in a dark but somewhat ventilated place. Sometimes that helps.
Welcome to pu-dom!
dave

Aug 12th, '08, 13:14

by Salsero » Aug 12th, '08, 13:14

Dizzwave wrote:
taitea wrote:Fishy as in fish-like, not suspicious.
You might try airing out the leaves for a few days ... Welcome to pu-dom!
I've had some fishy tasting cooked puerh and don't care for it. I've also had plenty that tasted like rubber. There is also plenty of cooked (=shu) puerh out there that is dark and rich but without peculiar off flavors. As Dizzwave says, airing it out sometimes helps. Also giving it a good hot water (off boil) rinse for 10 to 30 seconds before your first infusion often does wonders.

I also like the sheng (=uncooked or raw) puerh but it is a whole different animal.

Welcome to pu-doom! :lol:

Aug 12th, '08, 14:08

by Dizzwave » Aug 12th, '08, 14:08

Salsero wrote:Welcome to pu-doom!
It is true... Since you were curious enough to try pu in the first place, you have the underlying tendency to become a total pu nut. (See the new thread on "show off your pu" to see just how nutty it can get in a short time.) You are doomed, doomed! :twisted:

Aug 12th, '08, 15:34

by shogun89 » Aug 12th, '08, 15:34

Dizzwave wrote:
Salsero wrote:Welcome to pu-doom!
It is true... Since you were curious enough to try pu in the first place, you have the underlying tendency to become a total pu nut. (See the new thread on "show off your pu" to see just how nutty it can get in a short time.) You are doomed, doomed! :twisted:

mwooh ha ha ha hahahahahaha!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Aug 12th, '08, 15:36

by Salsero » Aug 12th, '08, 15:36

These guys are getting scarier and scarier.

Aug 12th, '08, 15:42

by shogun89 » Aug 12th, '08, 15:42

I have perfected the wrapping of puerh cakes!!!!!!!!! I now use tissue paper and can fold them in a way where no adhesive is needed.

Also my puidor is holding at a wonderful 69% humidity, Yay!!!

Aug 12th, '08, 16:15

by Dizzwave » Aug 12th, '08, 16:15

shogun89 wrote:I have perfected the wrapping of puerh cakes!!!!!!!!! I now use tissue paper and can fold them in a way where no adhesive is needed.

Nice work! My pumidor is still fluctuating a bit, though higher than it was. Generally it's anywhere from 63-79, which I suppose is fine.
Re: wrapping cakes, yeah, MarshalN's video on that helped me a lot. http://weblog.xanga.com/MarshalN/653037 ... -cake.html

Aug 12th, '08, 16:27

by shogun89 » Aug 12th, '08, 16:27

Dizzwave wrote:
shogun89 wrote:I have perfected the wrapping of puerh cakes!!!!!!!!! I now use tissue paper and can fold them in a way where no adhesive is needed.

Nice work! My pumidor is still fluctuating a bit, though higher than it was. Generally it's anywhere from 63-79, which I suppose is fine.
Re: wrapping cakes, yeah, MarshalN's video on that helped me a lot. http://weblog.xanga.com/MarshalN/653037 ... -cake.html
I used that video to, the key is once you are all the way around and put the left over in the divit you have to put a lot of pressure on it as it will eventually stay in place very well. Then get a large rectangular sheet of tissue paper put the cake in the middle, take all four corners in your fingers and hold them all together taunt above the cake, using your other hand grab the tissue at the base of the cake and squeeze getting a tight form, now twist about 360 degrees and wad up the excess "tail" and push it into the divit, apply lots of pressure and done, ready for long term storage and a perfect wrap.

Aug 12th, '08, 16:44

by Dizzwave » Aug 12th, '08, 16:44

Interesting.... Do you do that after, or instead of, the MarshalN method?

Aug 12th, '08, 17:11

by shogun89 » Aug 12th, '08, 17:11

Dizzwave wrote:Interesting.... Do you do that after, or instead of, the MarshalN method?
After, that way you can see through the paper to see what it is. If you look under the show off your puerh all 4 of my cakes have that wrapping on them.

Aug 12th, '08, 18:15

by Salsero » Aug 12th, '08, 18:15

shogun89 wrote: After, that way you can see through the paper to see what it is. If you look under the show off your puerh all 4 of my cakes have that wrapping on them.
I was wondering what that was. What's the advantage over just the original wrapper?

I've been sticking my smaller chunks in paper lunch bags with their folded up original wrappers. Not very pretty or convenient. I write on the outside of the bag what it is. The paper bag allows pumidor humidity to get to the tea still.

BTW, I saw a cigar guy note somewhere recently that you want less than 75% humidity for cigars because at 75% they get moldy. Not an appealing prospect. I got some new hygrometers and calibrated them with salt. My own arrangement is keeping my stash in the mid to upper 60's RH.

Aug 12th, '08, 19:38

by shogun89 » Aug 12th, '08, 19:38

Salsero wrote:
shogun89 wrote: After, that way you can see through the paper to see what it is. If you look under the show off your puerh all 4 of my cakes have that wrapping on them.
I was wondering what that was. What's the advantage over just the original wrapper?

I've been sticking my smaller chunks in paper lunch bags with their folded up original wrappers. Not very pretty or convenient. I write on the outside of the bag what it is. The paper bag allows pumidor humidity to get to the tea still.

BTW, I saw a cigar guy note somewhere recently that you want less than 75% humidity for cigars because at 75% they get moldy. Not an appealing prospect. I got some new hygrometers and calibrated them with salt. My own arrangement is keeping my stash in the mid to upper 60's RH.

I also used to use paper lunch bags but I got tired of all the loose paper all over them and how hideous they were. What I do just gives them a little extra protection and it keeps them looking really nice. If you want I'll post pictures of wrapping step by step. I'm not that worried about mold because when manufacturing shu, the humidity can get up into the upper 80s. I think as long as I stay below 70% I should be fine, I hope. Also since mine is wood and has some small cracks at the door there is a slight air flow to keep out any condensation. I also open it and cycle in new air twice per day, Surprisingly the humidity will rebuild very quickly.

Aug 12th, '08, 19:55

by Salsero » Aug 12th, '08, 19:55

shogun89 wrote: I'm not that worried about mold because when manufacturing shu, the humidity can get up into the upper 80s. I think as long as I stay below 70% I should be fine, I hope.
The cigar guy said anything under 75% was good.

+ Post Reply