Iced Dong Ding

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Aug 13th, '08, 13:12
Scrolling: scrolling

Iced Dong Ding

by Dizzwave » Aug 13th, '08, 13:12

I usually don't mind drinking hot tea even on a hot day, but the other day it was *really* hot, so I tried icing some Dong Ding. It went really well!
I have some Dong Ding from Teaspring. It's good stuff, sweet and milky, but not artificially so... very yummy.
I put a small amount of tea in an empty thermos, maybe 5-8 of the little rolled balls, and then poured in maybe a half-cup of near-boiling water and let it steep for around 3 minutes. Then I filled up the rest of the thermos with cold water and ice. Then I let that sit for a half hour or so. (That last step (of letting it sit) might not be necessary, but it probably did help some.)
Yum! Same milky sweet oolong flavor, but ice cold and refreshing.
Anybody else have similar successes?
-dave

Aug 13th, '08, 13:30

by Salsero » Aug 13th, '08, 13:30

Nice recipe. Thanks. Did you remove the leaves eventually?

Aug 13th, '08, 14:19

by Dizzwave » Aug 13th, '08, 14:19

Salsero wrote:Did you remove the leaves eventually?
Nope, I just left them in there. The mouthpiece on my thermos acts as a pretty good strainer, so I often just throw leaves in there and drink til it's gone.. as long as it's not a tea that'll get bitter easily.

Aug 13th, '08, 14:59

by betta » Aug 13th, '08, 14:59

Hi Dave,

thanks for sharing the recipe. There's also another recipe, but much more time consuming available at eilong's web. Point your mouse to the button: make ice tea by Tea master to see it.
I need to quench the summer heat over here :D

Aug 13th, '08, 15:55

by Dizzwave » Aug 13th, '08, 15:55

Hi Betta, thanks! That does look like a "better" way of doing it. I've actually tried that way with some sheng pu-erh. Once it worked, and once it didn't (when I used too much leaf). Some experimentation is definitely in order. :)

Aug 13th, '08, 16:47

by PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 13th, '08, 16:47

betta wrote:Hi Dave,

thanks for sharing the recipe. There's also another recipe, but much more time consuming available at eilong's web. Point your mouse to the button: make ice tea by Tea master to see it.
I need to quench the summer heat over here :D

The tea leaf in the pot in the last step looks quite happy :lol:

Aug 13th, '08, 19:44

by ABx » Aug 13th, '08, 19:44

Gaoshan does make good iced tea :) You really just have to make it a bit strong (without making it bitter, which isn't too hard). I usually brew it normally, but a little stronger, and use that.

I just don't use any particularly good stuff, as you lose some aroma and complexity when it's iced (though anything simple with a particularly strong aroma also works well). I have some cheapy stuff I got from an Asian grocer for $15 for a half pound that fits the bill quite nicely :) It's not that great hot, but it does well for iced tea (which I've found to be true for a lot of teas that just aren't that great hot).
Last edited by ABx on Aug 16th, '08, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 16th, '08, 11:06

by betta » Aug 16th, '08, 11:06

Dizzwave wrote:Hi Betta, thanks! That does look like a "better" way of doing it. I've actually tried that way with some sheng pu-erh. Once it worked, and once it didn't (when I used too much leaf). Some experimentation is definitely in order. :)
Hi Dizz, no need... in fact, I'm interested to try your methode, moreover it's very time saving.
Poly, thanks for putting the recipe here.
I'll try also to use gaoshan oolong like ABx suggested above. It should be very floral as well. :wink:

+ Post Reply