Thursday 8/14/08 Are you a collector of "TeaObjects?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Are you a collector of "TeaObjects?"

Yes, I am an enthusiastic collector
12%
Yes, I collect
18%
Maybe
18%
No, not really
36%
No, definitely not
16%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 50

Aug 14th, '08, 04:01
Scrolling: scrolling

Thursday 8/14/08 Are you a collector of "TeaObjects?

by Chip » Aug 14th, '08, 04:01

Yesterday, may TeaChatters indicated they had few or no teas that were UNOPEN. :D You can still vote and discuss this topic.

Welcome TeaLovers of every persuasion to TeaDay. Shall we brew and share what is in our cups teaday, all day?

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic is borrowed from Critique. This is a difficult one to get into a poll w/o over simplifying or over complicating. I will over simplify and ask for further elaboration here.

"People collect various objects that are associated with tea: tins, tea bag wrappers, teaware and other types memorabilia (even tea itself in case of puer). What are some of the things you collect, how has it all started and why is it such a passionate pastime?" I would also be curious if you use objects in your collection regularly.

This will be a lot of fun I hope.

I am as always looking forward to sharing TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up!
Last edited by Chip on Aug 16th, '08, 14:34, edited 3 times in total.

Aug 14th, '08, 04:10

by olivierco » Aug 14th, '08, 04:10

I don't collect anything associated with tea. I don't see my teawares as a collection but as a necessity to fully enjoy my tea.

This morning Yunnan golden tips.

Aug 14th, '08, 04:16

by omegapd » Aug 14th, '08, 04:16

Maybe for me. The urge is there but I usually don't act on it. If I go to the antique shops or places like that, I'll normally look at all the cups and pots, etc. but haven't bought anything yet. I have my "everyday" pots and don't see myself becoming a collector of any more. Same with cups.

As to buying stuff because it has the word 'tea' on it or a picture of a teapot on a fridge magnet or something like that...no, that isn't even in the cards for me.

Adagio's Dante this morning at work...

EW

Aug 14th, '08, 04:42

Rou Gui

by Salsero » Aug 14th, '08, 04:42

The cup is by Adderley with (I think) a cloverleaf pattern. Click on the photo to see a portrait of the cup and saucer sans tea.

Thanks again to everyone for the collaborative effort on yesterday’s yunomi!

Aug 14th, '08, 07:19

by chrl42 » Aug 14th, '08, 07:19

I am, an amateur, collector of yixing.

To yixing collectors in China, I might be a little lizard comparing to a dragon.

But my mind always sails in yixings :)

Aug 14th, '08, 08:12

by augie » Aug 14th, '08, 08:12

Oh, I lied! I voted "not really", and realized I am saving the little papers from pu ehr cakes. I need to decide what to do with them or toss them! Otherwise, I have enough do-dads, chachkees, and knick-knacks in my house.

Time to walk the doggie.

Aug 14th, '08, 09:15

Re: Rou Gui

by henley » Aug 14th, '08, 09:15

Salsero wrote: Image
Pretty cup & saucer but I'm more interested in the tea. Rou Gui is on my "to try" list. I've read that it has a cinnamon quality to it. If I may ask, who's the vendor?
omegapd wrote:As to buying stuff because it has the word 'tea' on it or a picture of a teapot on a fridge magnet or something like that...no, that isn't even in the cards for me.
Ditto! I collect teaware & serving pieces but can justify them by using them to entertain. Spoken like a true addict, huh? :lol:

Aug 14th, '08, 10:02

by leiche » Aug 14th, '08, 10:02

I'm not really into knick knacks and that sort of thing, but I would definitely collect teaware if I had the space (and a bottomless bank account).

Started the day off with a dire cup of bagged orange pekoe in the cafeteria. That's what I get for not getting up early enough to make my own tea before rushing off to a meeting. At least I get to go home tomorrow!

I think the shui xian is calling me.

Aug 14th, '08, 10:19

by hop_goblin » Aug 14th, '08, 10:19

Well, if you consider tea objects as Yixing pots!

Aug 14th, '08, 10:57

by jewelbug » Aug 14th, '08, 10:57

Salsero wrote:
Pretty cup & saucer but I'm more interested in the tea. Rou Gui is on my "to try" list. I've read that it has a cinnamon quality to it. If I may ask, who's the vendor?
Ditto on this question. Rou Gui is also high on my list. The teaspring.com description has me intrigued, and it will be on my next order (along a bunch of other things!).

I said I don't collect things, really, since the relatively few things that I have are things that I use regularly. I think of them as more utiliarian than collectors items (plus they're functional, but nothing special/artistic). Now, I do have a little yixing set that is on display, but it was less of an active collecting thing, and more of a I-received-it-as-a-gift thing. Even that may become a utilitarian item after I lead test it...

I started this morning with Adagio's Spring Darjeeling.

Aug 14th, '08, 11:14

by auggy » Aug 14th, '08, 11:14

Sal, love the cups today. They seem very light and refreshing.

No tea collecting going on here. I am a hoarder by nature but a few years ago I got fed up with how cluttered things were getting (and how dusty!) so now I fight against that by getting rid of things constantly. Books and Japan-related things are the only things I allow myself to hang on to. The closest I have with tea things are cups, and even then I only have 14 cups. Hmm, which written out seems kinda like a lot....

Here's hoping that today goes quickly. Hope everyone has a lovely one.

Aug 14th, '08, 11:18

by Salsero » Aug 14th, '08, 11:18

henley wrote: Rou Gui is on my "to try" list. I've read that it has a cinnamon quality to it. If I may ask, who's the vendor?
Gee, Henley, you never ask the simple questions. Rou Gui is about my most conflicted tea type, so first let me refer you HERE to Dr Rou Gui, our own ABx, who did a marathon review of Rou Gui offerings last year. Additionally, Scruff McGruff has a fair amount of experience with Rou Gui and Yan Cha generally.

The tea in today's photo is a TeaCuppa Rou Gui, the less expensive of two that they offer. The less expensive means 28¢ a gram ($13.80 for 50 gr package) for a 2007 harvest. The more expensive means $1.16 a gram ($58 for 50 gr package) for an aged 2002 harvest. They used to have a 2005, but it seems to be sold out. I reviewed the 2002 one HERE in a TeaDay post.

My first Rou Gui exhibited the Cassia bark or cinnamon flavor you mention, but in retrospect I suspect it was sprayed on and in any event didn't care much for it. Since then I haven't really noticed a cinnamon flavor in any of them.

I am not much of a Rou Gui drinker and my experience has been spotty enough that I can't really recommend any. The best of the aged ones seem to have a chocolately flavor, which I find interesting but not compelling, followed by plum-like tastes. Of the vendors I have tried, I think Jing may represent a good balance of price and quality. Vendors that I have most often heard Rou Gui lovers suggest include:
  • Seven Cups
    Golden Tea House
    Jing
    Grand Tea
    TeaCuppa.

Aug 14th, '08, 12:22

by RussianSoul » Aug 14th, '08, 12:22

Salsero wrote:The cup is by Adderley with (I think) a cloverleaf pattern. Click on the photo to see a portrait of the cup and saucer sans tea.

Puurrrty picture! But not very mucho... I don't think this cup is becoming for you :twisted: .

:idea: If you need someone to help by keeping it for you, I can volunteer... :idea:

Aug 14th, '08, 12:38

by Salsero » Aug 14th, '08, 12:38

RussianSoul wrote: Puurrrty picture! But not very mucho... I don't think this cup is becoming for you
idea: If you need someone to help by keeping it for you, I can volunteer... :idea:
Sorry, Sista, it's mucho macho. I keep it in my gun safe and bring it out when the guys come around to arm wrestle.

P.S.
Auggy, it's only one cup reflected in a mirror.

Aug 14th, '08, 12:52

by Victoria » Aug 14th, '08, 12:52

No not really - just teaware.

My first cup this morning - Yunnan Gold.

Have a nice day everyone!