Monday TeaDay 8/18/08 TeaVacation of a lifetime

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Adagio is offering a TeaVacation of a lifetime (not really), all expences paid. Where would you go?

China
27%
India
13%
Japan
54%
Taiwan
7%

Total votes: 56

Aug 18th, '08, 02:02
Scrolling: scrolling

Monday TeaDay 8/18/08 TeaVacation of a lifetime

by Chip » Aug 18th, '08, 02:02

Teachatters were pretty evenly divided about whether they resteep their black teas yesterday. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Welcome everyone to TeaDay. Please share what is in your cup today, all day!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic gives you the choice of prizes compliments of Adagio Teas*, an all expence paid TeaVacation of a lifetime to one of the following countries.

China
India
Japan
Taiwan

Which would you choose and please share why? Come on, it's Monday, have some fun.

I am looking forward to sharing TeaDay with everyone today.

*This is a ficticious topic, no such prize exists. :roll:

Aug 18th, '08, 02:14

by chamekke » Aug 18th, '08, 02:14

Oh, this is so easy. Japan.

Then I would go directly to the Urasenke "headquarters" in Kyoto, and audit as many Midorikai tea classes as I could get away with before being chucked out.

That would be my dream tea vacation of a lifetime. Nothing else even comes close.

Nothing in my cup at the moment, but for some reason I feel strangely moved to go whisk a bowl of matcha.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 18th, '08, 02:14

by fencerdenoctum » Aug 18th, '08, 02:14

India. Most definitely. It is one of the place that is far down on my list to visit. I really have no idea why, but of all the places I could think to travel to, India hasn't crossed my mind.

The Tea Sipping Swordsman,
Fencerdenoctum

Aug 18th, '08, 02:17

2002 AGED ROU GUI formerly known as SAMPLE A

by Salsero » Aug 18th, '08, 02:17

I have really gotten to love this little cup despite not caring for most rough looking ceramic pieces. It’s just mass produced, but the feel and heft of the thing endears it to me. Before anyone asks, the chataku is from Hibiki-an, the cup from Tokoname Yuyaku Co. #1265, 4 to 5 oz.

For those who just arrived on the scene, you may click on the photo to access a larger image.

Aug 18th, '08, 03:08

by Selaphiel » Aug 18th, '08, 03:08

Nice topic!

Japan without a doubt. I would go there in early October to make sure I caught the annual tea festival in Uji and got to visit the Tsuen teashop and have a nice cup of Japanese green there.
Other than that I would remain in the area around Kyoto and south and make sure I got to see as much of the historic Japan as possible, and of course visit the Buddhist temples.

I'm gonna have to scrape the money together soon :? Been thinking about going there for many years, but if I'm going, I'll be there a while.

No tea so far today, it's 9 in the morning, that's a bit early for tea for me. University starting again today :)

Gonna go for some Gyokuro Yume no ukihashi from Uji when I get home, then I'll browse Japan travel info as I usually do when I drink good green tea, the tea brings me halfway there :D

Aug 18th, '08, 03:41

by Salsero » Aug 18th, '08, 03:41

Selaphiel wrote: the tea brings me halfway there
Sweet ending to a nice post, Selaphiel. Thanks, that was a real work of art.

For me, on the other hand, all those places look a little too scary... If you took a cattle prod to me, I'd go to China, Yunnan likely and probably Fujian. But where I really want to go is Spain... Andalucia specifically. I would listen to a lot of Flamenco, drink a lot of strong Spanish wine, and eat a lot of powerful Spanish olive oil. Mmmm, forget that sissy tea!

¡Un pocillo de café, hombre!

Aug 18th, '08, 03:58

by Geekgirl » Aug 18th, '08, 03:58

My dad went to spain (not sure where) for 6 weeks a couple of years ago. He's planning to go back when he retires (next year,) for a spanish language immersion program. I hope he does.

Japan for me, I've wanted for years to travel there, to Kyoto to see the cherry blossoms and festival in the spring. Also, I wouldn't whine about a single one of those places on the list.

Aug 18th, '08, 04:26

by olivierco » Aug 18th, '08, 04:26

Japan (and a short trip to Taiwan before going back).

This morning Yunnan golden tips.

Aug 18th, '08, 06:16

by Jack_teachat » Aug 18th, '08, 06:16

Japan for me also!

I am thinking of taking a Japanese language class through my University this year as I have read it really really helps having some grasp of both the spoken and written language if you are going to visit. I might take a year out next year after my masters and spend some time over there.

Will probably have some Yunnan Gold after I've had a shower.

Have a great day everyone!

Jack :D

Aug 18th, '08, 07:12

by Jack_teachat » Aug 18th, '08, 07:12

Changed my mind... Fukamushi Shincha instead :D

Aug 18th, '08, 07:21

by omegapd » Aug 18th, '08, 07:21

If it's all about the tea, I'd say China. On a personal note, I think India would be much more interesting to visit.

But, like Salsero, there's many other places I'd want to go on vacation than those listed.

EW

Aug 18th, '08, 08:01

by Jack_teachat » Aug 18th, '08, 08:01

Actually I've been thinking about this one.... Would be amazing to do a tour of Asia and visit all of these places in one long trip!

Aug 18th, '08, 09:08

by shogun89 » Aug 18th, '08, 09:08

My dream is to go to china. I especially want to go to the Yunnan puerh region so I can go to one of their Kumming tea expose so I can fill suitcases with pu, of course after tasting every tea they have to offer! I wonder what customs would say for a couple suit cases of pu?

Have a good day all!

Aug 18th, '08, 09:15

by joelbct » Aug 18th, '08, 09:15

Japan for me- I would love to see the sights, the temples and the cities, and of course the tea farms and tea shops. And tea ceramics places.

And drinking Meleng Assam this morning. Back to work after a week off!

Aug 18th, '08, 09:25

by witches brew » Aug 18th, '08, 09:25

I would go to Japan, tour all the famous potteries, spend some time in Kyoto, spend more time in the countryside staying at small inns, visiting gardens and temples.

Since this is a fantasy vacation courtesy of Adagio, I would impose shamelessly upon all their contacts in the tea business, and visit tea companies and farms in Uji.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!