Aug 24th, '08, 00:30

Da Hong Pao teapots from YS?

by Bubba_tea » Aug 24th, '08, 00:30

I was looking at these Da Hong Pao teapots from YS - anyone try one? Whew... I've about had it for yixing research for one day... :shock:

Cheers

Aug 24th, '08, 00:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Aug 24th, '08, 00:45

I've never tried one, but have loved all the pots I've gotten from YSLLC and this one looks like a real honey. If Scott is charging $55 it must be a very nice pot.

Aug 24th, '08, 00:50

by Geekgirl » Aug 24th, '08, 00:50

agreed. I have two of his really inexpensive pots. The $12 pot is as nice as a couple of others I have that were 3x the price.

I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who has this pot, it is very tempting.

Aug 24th, '08, 02:19

by Smells_Familiar » Aug 24th, '08, 02:19

I've ordered two so far. The first order was about 4.5 weeks ago, SAL so it should arrive soon. The second order for the "Gu Shi Shui Ping" pot was made about 2 weeks ago. School just started and I'm already swamped but as soon as I get some time to test them out I'll post up my impressions. They certainly are gorgeous.

Aug 24th, '08, 10:02

by Bubba_tea » Aug 24th, '08, 10:02

I might just have to order that $12 for work then! There's got to be a business expense in there somewhere... :roll:

Aug 24th, '08, 11:36

Re: Da Hong Pao teapots from YS?

by betta » Aug 24th, '08, 11:36

Bubba_tea wrote:I was looking at these Da Hong Pao teapots from YS - anyone try one? Whew... I've about had it for yixing research for one day... :shock:

Cheers
Hm.. I though DHP is only a name for a wuyi rock tea. Better to ask Chrl42 or MarshalN about the clay.

Aug 24th, '08, 12:12

by taitea » Aug 24th, '08, 12:12

I am also curious, what does a Da Hong Pao teapot mean exactly? The site says it's good for greener oolongs, but is Da Hong Pao a darker one? Doesn't this seem rather contradictory?

Aug 24th, '08, 13:57

by wyardley » Aug 24th, '08, 13:57

taitea wrote:I am also curious, what does a Da Hong Pao teapot mean exactly? The site says it's good for greener oolongs, but is Da Hong Pao a darker one? Doesn't this seem rather contradictory?
The tea and the teapot are two different things; they just have the same name. There's no reason you have to use the teapot for the tea of the same name.

Also, while da hong pao is traditionally high fired, it can also be light / medium fired in a style that's more popular now.

Aug 24th, '08, 14:54

by taitea » Aug 24th, '08, 14:54

Big red robe teapot?

Well, I guess that makes as much sense as big red robe tea?

Aug 24th, '08, 15:58

by Bubba_tea » Aug 24th, '08, 15:58

wyardley wrote:Also, while da hong pao is traditionally high fired, it can also be light / medium fired in a style that's more popular now.
I don't know anything about firing temps of clay - but was reading some info that suggested it's best to fire at 1200'C , but that might just be for Zi Ni clay. I think these DHP clay pots are fired at 1040'C. How / does that influence anything?

Aug 24th, '08, 17:21

by wyardley » Aug 24th, '08, 17:21

Bubba_tea wrote:
wyardley wrote:Also, while da hong pao is traditionally high fired, it can also be light / medium fired in a style that's more popular now.
I don't know anything about firing temps of clay - but was reading some info that suggested it's best to fire at 1200'C , but that might just be for Zi Ni clay. I think these DHP clay pots are fired at 1040'C. How / does that influence anything?
I'm talking about the tea (the degree of roasting), not the teapots. I couldn't tell you much about the firing temperature appropriate for this type of clay.

Aug 24th, '08, 20:32

by Wesli » Aug 24th, '08, 20:32

I was thinking about getting one...

But the thing is, I already have 2 pots from YSLLC, and I'm not impressed. They were the top pots he had for sale at the time (still only ~$30), and were recommended to me. When I got them, I was disappointed they didn't pass the sniff test. Further, the spouts and handles are slightly crooked. I still use them all the time and truly believe they enhance the experience. But the truth is, these pots have been pushed to the bottom of my list because I have a Red Blossom yixing, and one of Rishi's yixing, and they both blow these two YSLLC pots out of the water.

However, I don't know much about yixing, and am probably talking through my hat.

Aug 24th, '08, 21:05

by wyardley » Aug 24th, '08, 21:05

Wesli wrote:I was thinking about getting one...

But the thing is, I already have 2 pots from YSLLC, and I'm not impressed. They were the top pots he had for sale at the time (still only ~$30), and were recommended to me. When I got them, I was disappointed they didn't pass the sniff test. Further, the spouts and handles are slightly crooked. I still use them all the time and truly believe they enhance the experience. But the truth is, these pots have been pushed to the bottom of my list because I have a Red Blossom yixing, and one of Rishi's yixing, and they both blow these two YSLLC pots out of the water.

However, I don't know much about yixing, and am probably talking through my hat.
I have some of the "lao zhuni" ones from him; I think it's pretty safe to say are definitely not lao zhuni (hell, even based on the price I'd be pretty comfortable saying that), though they're not too bad. Scott has qualified his statements on the clay's origin, so hopefully he won't be offended by me saying this. I know Jason, Imen, and a lot of other folks like them, but I'm kinda "meh" on them so far. I have a really cheapie one from him, and I think it's so-so, also, though of course it was only $10 or so US.

All that said, I am curious about these pots, and might take one for the team and order one.

Would be great if anyone who speaks / reads Chinese well could do some searching and see if they can find out more information about the maker, her master, or the clay online. I have seen 'da hong pao' clay teapots mentioned and for sale before, but I don't know much more about it, or how different the clay is from various modern red clays.

Aug 24th, '08, 21:40

by Geekgirl » Aug 24th, '08, 21:40

Wesli wrote: But the thing is, I already have 2 pots from YSLLC, and I'm not impressed. They were the top pots he had for sale at the time (still only ~$30),
My $11 pot is (IMO) nicer than my $35 pot. It doesn't leak, lid is tight, has that nice "hot sand" smell. Can't complain much about the $35 pot though, for the money. :)

Aug 24th, '08, 22:17

by chrl42 » Aug 24th, '08, 22:17

Original Da Hong Pao ni was from Huang Long mountain. And it was thought the most 'reddish' clay to be found, contained highest iron and enormous shrinkage rate. Virtually all 'real' Da Hong Pao ni has gone from the sight and I read in the news it was once sold more expensive than gold.

But backed by demand, yixing crafters imitated the effect of Da Hong Pao ni, usually by containing red iron powder or Shi Huang(one source of Zhuni).

The pot from YNNSC is from Fudong. Fudong was area found when Zhao Zhuang(Lao Zhuni) source went scarce, in 80's Fudong Hongni was an alternative source for Lao Zhuni. Basically different from Zhuni (Huang Long, Zhao Zhuang, Shao Mei Yao or Hu Fu), Fudong Hongni had more 'Hongni' characteritics with less wrinkles and less iron.

Looking at the original ore, it's neither Zhuni ore nor Hongni ore. My guess it's Da Hong Pao ni-looking ore mined from Fudong.

I once have seen Da Hong Pao pots in Maliandao, very sleeky texture and weighed a lot. My expression was like I was touching a metal of some sort. All of em were over 500 USD.

+ Post Reply