Tea Shops in Toronto?

Learn about tea-related establishments open across the world.

Postby chamekke » Aug 25th, '08, 17:44

heavydoom mentioned elsewhere that he's made some discoveries. If he doesn't spot this thread, shoot him a PM.
chamekke

Postby CynTEAa » Aug 25th, '08, 18:50

TeaMap is ready for Canada, I believe. Just a matter of tea rooms getting listed.

You may wish to visit The Tea Emporium. They have several locations and list a couple of Pu-erhs.
CynTEAa

Postby chamekke » Aug 25th, '08, 19:13

TeaMap is still not working for Canada. The problems I reported on Aug. 19 in the TeaMap thread are still present, i.e. when you complete the Add Tearoom form and click the add tearoom button, the form vanishes and nothing further happens. The webpage for the province in question remains blank.

I tried submitting tearoom records several times on that date, and I tried again just now to see if anything has changed. My submissions are still not showing up.

The last I heard, Wosret wasn't having any further luck either.
chamekke

Postby Wosret » Aug 25th, '08, 20:14

I'll second the recommendation for The Tea Emporium!

If you want an English style afternoon tea to treat yourself one afternoon, there's The Victorian Garden way out in Etobicoke, but The Royal York is as downtown as you can go.
Wosret

Postby chamekke » Aug 25th, '08, 20:59

Cool, Wosret!

Do you know of any good Asian tea shops, by any chance?

It's been too many years since I lived in Toronto. Can't even remember if there's a Ten Ren...
chamekke

Postby Wosret » Aug 26th, '08, 11:56

chamekke, do you mean shops to take tea in the Asian style, or shops to buy Asian tea?

The Tea Emporium's tea lounge is trendy/Asian influenced, and I know they sell Asian teas and tea pots. They serve their tea in different pots, according to the type of tea - if you get a blossoming tea, you get a glass tea pot, for example.

I haven't done a lot of tea exploring in Chinatown, as I don't really know where I'd start, with the exception of bubble tea. (I love that stuff, even if it's not really tea at all.) There are a lot of tea shops all over the city, with more opening fairly regularly. Ottawa is the same. All of the speciality tea shops I've been in to in both cities offer loose Asian teas for sale.
Wosret

Postby gingkoseto » Sep 30th, '08, 19:37

The last time I was in Toronto (late May), I saw a coming-soon tea shop called "all in this tea" or something like that on Bloor Street between Spadina and Bathurst (or to the east but not far from Bathurst). I wonder if it's open yet.
gingkoseto
Vendor Member

Postby Wosret » Sep 30th, '08, 21:19

Do you mean All Things Tea (475 Bloor St. West)? If so, it's open, and I've been a couple of times. They keep their tea in large transparent glass jars and don't provide a timer when you order tea, so you can't time your steeping exactly. Otherwise, lots to choose from and a great place to relax with a friend over a cuppa.
Wosret

Postby gingkoseto » Oct 3rd, '08, 10:32

Wosret wrote:Do you mean All Things Tea (475 Bloor St. West)? If so, it's open, and I've been a couple of times. They keep their tea in large transparent glass jars and don't provide a timer when you order tea, so you can't time your steeping exactly. Otherwise, lots to choose from and a great place to relax with a friend over a cuppa.

Yes that's what I meant, just vaguely remember the name is similar to a documentary film "all in this tea" :P
So you can sit in and drink tea? I thought they only sell loose leaf tea. It looks like a tiny small place. Will give it a try next time when I visit Toronto. It looks less expensive than the tea emporium.

I didn't explore much of the "new chinatown" on north side of Toronto. The downtown Chinatown, I don't think there is much stuff there. But there are a few small stores in downtown chinatown selling cheap porcelain ware. I got some porcelain dishes there that are just cheap and no good. But I also got several 50cent small tea cups that are very well worth it. They don't look cheap and are good to serve large group gathering. I suspect even such cups in China can't be less expensive :P
gingkoseto
Vendor Member

Instant Messenger

Permissions