MOLD!!!!!!!!!!!???????????

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

MOLD!!!!!!!!!!!???????????

Postby shogun89 » Aug 28th, '08, 15:57

Hello everyone, I went to get my Guoyan 66 today to have a drink and when I stuck the knife in the side and began lifting a section out of the cake there was this yellow powdery substance stuck to the leaves, first thing I though was mold. But this substance is only on the parts that I have flaked from. The top of the cake that has not been touched is fine. Here are some pics, kinda hard to see because its a rather small object to capture, but tell me what you think. And if anyone else has this cake, check yours to see if maybe you have the same thing, because it could just be a manufacturing thing or fuzz from the leaves, IDK? Until now all tea is out of the pumidor and this tea has been separated and will not be consumed.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar shogun89
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15, '08
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby heavydoom » Aug 28th, '08, 16:17

at least try it and see what the taste is like.

User avatar heavydoom
Posts: 521
Joined: Jun 01, '08
Location: The Golden Horseshoe

Postby hop_goblin » Aug 28th, '08, 16:19

Hey Shogun,

The yellow mold variety is the bad stuff so you may want to chunk it. As for it being a factory flaw, it may well have been. Mold inside the beeng is typically a consequence of the manufactuer not throughly drying the been before packaging. The water trapped inside the beeng is then subject to cause decay. However, too much humidity with insufficent venilation can also contribute to internal deterioration. If beeng absorb more moisture than they can expell through the process of evaporation then again, deterioration can happen. Since the surface of the beeng is exposed to more to air the suface of the beeng is more likely to stave off any infection.

hop

User avatar hop_goblin
Posts: 1955
Joined: May 22, '06
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!
Contact hop_goblin:

Postby hop_goblin » Aug 28th, '08, 16:19

heavydoom wrote:at least try it and see what the taste is like.


No, don't try it. Yellow mold should always be considered as toxic.

User avatar hop_goblin
Posts: 1955
Joined: May 22, '06
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!
Contact hop_goblin:

Postby shogun89 » Aug 28th, '08, 16:22

So what does all this mean? Can it be revived or tested somehow or is it just safe to call it dead? If it is dead I cant really be that mad as it only cost me $10 but still. All the other cakes look fine which is the good news. This is the exact reason why I would never put my Bai Cha Tang cakes in the pumidor, Too much to risk.

User avatar shogun89
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15, '08
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Dizzwave » Aug 28th, '08, 16:27

Zoiks, that's too bad.. Sorry to hear it. It's hard to tell from the pics, so I'm just going on what you say. If it's only on parts that have been flaked off, could it also be related to contamination from touching the cake?
Anyway.. I'm going to spot-check some of my cakes now!

User avatar Dizzwave
Posts: 331
Joined: Feb 27, '08
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR
Contact Dizzwave:

Postby Wesli » Aug 28th, '08, 16:39

It's either mold or just crushed leaf. Sorry, but your pictures aren't clear enough to be sure.

User avatar Wesli
Posts: 1611
Joined: Jun 08, '07
Location: 3161 A.D.
Contact Wesli:

Postby puerhking » Aug 28th, '08, 16:54

I think several of us were concerned that this would happen. Its just too risky. Sorry about your pu loss.

User avatar puerhking
Posts: 745
Joined: Jul 07, '08
Location: ostensible universe

Postby shogun89 » Aug 28th, '08, 17:10

I really dont think this is the pumidor's fault. I dont even know if it is mold and how to find out.

User avatar shogun89
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15, '08
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Salsero » Aug 28th, '08, 17:23

shogun89 wrote: I really dont think this is the pumidor's fault. I dont even know if it is mold and how to find out.
Eat some. If you're dead , it's mold. Pls have your parents let us know how it went, just in case.

:lol:

User avatar Salsero
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 20, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby hop_goblin » Aug 28th, '08, 17:24

Salsero wrote:
shogun89 wrote: I really dont think this is the pumidor's fault. I dont even know if it is mold and how to find out.
Eat some. If you're dead , it's mold. Pls have your parents let us know how it went, just in case.

:lol:


Sal, you are incorrigible!

User avatar hop_goblin
Posts: 1955
Joined: May 22, '06
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!
Contact hop_goblin:

Postby shogun89 » Aug 28th, '08, 17:39

dosent boiling water kill mold???
What do you guys think, Should I just brew some up? If it really is mold what will happen to me??

User avatar shogun89
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15, '08
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby heavydoom » Aug 28th, '08, 17:51

you won't die instantly. at least in the states, you can dial 911 and be airlifted to the nearest high tech hospital within literally seconds.

i think you should at least try to have a swirl inside your mouth.



we need to bring in chrl42 here, he seems to know the solutions to all our problems.

all hails to chrl42!!! :P

User avatar heavydoom
Posts: 521
Joined: Jun 01, '08
Location: The Golden Horseshoe

Postby shogun89 » Aug 28th, '08, 17:55

heavydoom wrote:you won't die instantly. at least in the states, you can dial 911 and be airlifted to the nearest high tech hospital within literally seconds.

i think you should at least try to have a swirl inside your mouth.



we need to bring in chrl42 here, he seems to know the solutions to all our problems.

all hails to chrl42!!! :P


I dont really want to be airlifted all because of a $10 tea. But I sure as hell dont want to waste the tea.

User avatar shogun89
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15, '08
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby heavydoom » Aug 28th, '08, 17:57

exactomundo.

User avatar heavydoom
Posts: 521
Joined: Jun 01, '08
Location: The Golden Horseshoe


Today's Poll



Community

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 1 hidden and 1 guest
cron