MOLD!!!!!!!!!!!???????????


One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Postby Mary R » Aug 28th, '08, 18:05

If you're that concerned, make arrangements to talk to the bio teacher at your local high school/near by college. It's totally cake to scrape some of the 'mold' off onto a slide and use the microscope to determine whether it's actually a mold or just some crazy powder. The teacher might even be able to help you identify what type of mold the stuff is.

I know it sounds crazy, but the bio prof I TA'd for loved it when random people would ask her to do things like this. It's how she ended up cultivating some of her best mold/fungi/plant specimens.
User avatar
Mary R
 
Posts: 1644
Joined: Dec 20th, '

Postby Dizzwave » Aug 28th, '08, 18:09

How about removing the part of the cake that has the visible mold on it... and store that separately from the rest of the cake. Then just hang on to them (without drinking from the "moldy" piece, of course) for a while and see what happens. If the "moldy" one gets worse, it was probably mold... and hopefully was contained to just that piece.... blah blah.. catch my drift?
User avatar
Dizzwave
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Feb 27th, '
Location: Portland, OR

Postby shogun89 » Aug 28th, '08, 18:16

Dizzwave wrote:How about removing the part of the cake that has the visible mold on it... and store that separately from the rest of the cake. Then just hang on to them (without drinking from the "moldy" piece, of course) for a while and see what happens. If the "moldy" one gets worse, it was probably mold... and hopefully was contained to just that piece.... blah blah.. catch my drift?


I assume the entire cake has this powder in it just under the first layer of leaves so it seems to be pretty impossible to remove it. I just need to see if someone else has this cake, because it could just be a trait of this blend like leaf down or something?

Good idea Mary. I will see if I can make any kind of arrangements.
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Salsero » Aug 28th, '08, 18:28

I'm with Mary on this. A high school bio teacher would probably love this and you might even score some points with a teacher. Can't hurt.

BTW, riding in helicopters makes me sick to my stomach: another strike against trying it. And besides, what if they don't find your near lifeless body until late, then you have to ride in that helicopter (for like $1,500), then you get all sick from the helicopter ride, and since they found you so late, you die anyway. I'd rather not die in a helicopter. Course, there might be a pretty nurse! She could hold your hand and look into your eyes while you slipped into oblivion. Course then you would lose your one chance at a great love as well as losing your life ... and die in a helicopter to boot. That would be like 3 tragedies all at once. Besides, I think the nurses in those helicopters are all hairy old Vietnam vet doodz.

After considering all the angles, I have to go with Mary's idea.
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby cupioneer » Aug 28th, '08, 18:28

i think rinsing (in boiling water) would be adequate. personally, i'd be more afraid of finding glass (like some have) in their pu than some mold. ingesting a little mold certainly won't kill you.
User avatar
cupioneer
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Aug 1st, '0
Location: Colorado

Postby shogun89 » Aug 28th, '08, 18:38

Salsero wrote:I'm with Mary on this. A high school bio teacher would probably love this and you might even score some points with a teacher. Can't hurt.

BTW, riding in helicopters makes me sick to my stomach: another strike against trying it. And besides, what if they don't find your near lifeless body until late, then you have to ride in that helicopter (for like $1,500), then you get all sick from the helicopter ride, and since they found you so late, you die anyway. I'd rather not die in a helicopter. Course, there might be a pretty nurse! She could hold your hand and look into your eyes while you slipped into oblivion. Course then you would lose your one chance at a great love as well as losing your life ... and die in a helicopter to boot. That would be like 3 tragedies all at once. Besides, I think the nurses in those helicopters are all hairy old Vietnam vet doodz.

After considering all the angles, I have to go with Mary's idea.


Jeeeesh Sal. I LOVE flying in helicopters, so smooth and a nice floating feeling. I am always up for finding a way to get in with a nice pretty nurse, but the dying part isnt what I have in mind. :roll: I want my tea :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I think I am just going to rinse twice and give it a shot! Although you will hear from me tonight, if I am not here tomorrow consider me dead or near death (next to the toilet).

Cupioneeer, I think you are right about the rinsing in boiling water. Thanks
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby brandon » Aug 28th, '08, 18:38

Mary R wrote:I know it sounds crazy, but the bio prof I TA'd for loved it when random people would ask her to do things like this. It's how she ended up cultivating some of her best mold/fungi/plant specimens.


"You must be very handy - Do you have any hobbies?"
"I collect spores, molds, and fungus."

Sorry about your bad luck, shogun. I have stayed away from humidifying my own teas, partly out of laziness.
User avatar
brandon
 
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sep 25th, '

Postby shogun89 » Aug 28th, '08, 18:39

brandon wrote:
Mary R wrote:I know it sounds crazy, but the bio prof I TA'd for loved it when random people would ask her to do things like this. It's how she ended up cultivating some of her best mold/fungi/plant specimens.


"You must be very handy - Do you have any hobbies?"
"I collect spores, molds, and fungus."

Sorry about your bad luck, shogun. I have stayed away from humidifying my own teas, partly out of laziness.


The good news is "the good teas" are fine, and this one may be too, IDK.
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Salsero » Aug 28th, '08, 18:40

shogun89 wrote: I think I am just going to rinse twice and give it a shot!
Don't
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby shogun89 » Aug 28th, '08, 19:01

Salsero wrote:
shogun89 wrote: I think I am just going to rinse twice and give it a shot!
Don't


I just dont think it is possible for it to be mold, My humidity has never risen above 70 % and I open the door everyday to give it new air and since there I nothing on the op of the cake I cant see how it could be mold. Not to mention the cake even feels dry.
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby orguz » Aug 28th, '08, 19:07

I had a 1999 raw puerh brick with white particles inside which became visible after flaking. It looked like chalk I think it was an infestation by insects or mold of some kind. It had a strong smell to it. I did make a brew and it tasted ASTRINGENT AND FOUL, THE LOCKING OF THROAT EFFECT WAS NOTICED STRAIGHT AWAY. I took a sip but couldn't swallow, I spat that s... out and chucked the brick . My advice is not too drink it. Your body will certainly reject that crap if you do, giving you stomach cramps etc, and you might end up in hospital. Just listen to MORBID, sorry I meant SALSERO
User avatar
orguz
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Jul 3rd, '0
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby Mary R » Aug 28th, '08, 19:09

Even if it isn't mold, yellow powders are rarely ANYTHING good (well, there's pollen...but ignore that). Seriously, talk to a professional before you try it. And even then...it was only $10. Not worth the risk.
User avatar
Mary R
 
Posts: 1644
Joined: Dec 20th, '

Postby teakid » Aug 28th, '08, 19:48

I think it's pesticide or fertilizer! I have a CNNP cake that brews very cloudy liquor. I had to rinse 5 times before it clears up. Then I tried the tea. It smelled fine but tasted foul. I dumped it after and discovered powdery stuff folded inside the leaves later. I haven't touched the cake since. I tried getting a refund but the local tea merchant refused to take it back because the cake was opened. She even tried the cake in front of me and said there's nothing wrong. True business person.

Try brewing it, but don't drink it. Is it tea cloudy? Smells odd?
teakid
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Aug 20th, '

Postby shogun89 » Aug 28th, '08, 21:01

teakid wrote:I think it's pesticide or fertilizer! I have a CNNP cake that brews very cloudy liquor. I had to rinse 5 times before it clears up. Then I tried the tea. It smelled fine but tasted foul. I dumped it after and discovered powdery stuff folded inside the leaves later. I haven't touched the cake since. I tried getting a refund but the local tea merchant refused to take it back because the cake was opened. She even tried the cake in front of me and said there's nothing wrong. True business person.

Try brewing it, but don't drink it. Is it tea cloudy? Smells odd?


I just brewed some, It smells fine it looks fine and it tastes fine. also the dry tea smell great as well. Has that sweet honey smell. Still have not swallowed it yet but I do intend to.
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation