Friday TeaDay 8/29/08 Tea and disease prevention?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do you believe that tea can be instrumental in preventing more serious and life threatening disease such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and others?

Yes, I believe it can
27%
Yes, I am at least hopeful that it is possible
22%
Maybe
32%
No, I doubt it
13%
Definitely not
3%
Other
3%

Total votes: 60

Aug 29th, '08, 03:10
Scrolling: scrolling

Friday TeaDay 8/29/08 Tea and disease prevention?

by Chip » Aug 29th, '08, 03:10

Yesterday, the vast majority of TeaChatters indicated that tea could help prevent or suppress common illnesses such as colds. You can still vote and discuss this topic.

Welcome everyone to TeaDay. I hope we can share many cups of tea today. So, let's brew and share what is in our cups today, all day.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic takes yesterday's topic to a higher level. Do you believe that tea can be instrumental in preventing more serious and life threatening disease such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and others? Please share.

This can be a controversial subject, so please be respectful of other's opinions.

I am looking forward to sharing TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up!

Aug 29th, '08, 03:24

by omegapd » Aug 29th, '08, 03:24

Gotta go with "maybe". There's people out there smarter than me saying yes, but no way I can prove it to myself that they're right. :?

Iced Irish Breakfast at work this morning...

Hope everyone around has a nice weekend,

EW

Aug 29th, '08, 03:28

Koten Fuukeiga Chawan, Day 3

by Salsero » Aug 29th, '08, 03:28

OK, last day of this cup today. I promise! For today I had to empty out the tea.

The interior is as elegantly designed as the exterior. With a light tea, it enhances the color and texture. With a dark tea, the swirling design gradually reveals itself as you empty the cup till you reach the vortex at the bottom. Remember how the outside of the cup had a ribbed texture to make it easier to handle and to give a tactile dimension to the act of drinking? Well, the inside surface is as smooth as a mirror, no ridges where none are needed. The neat geometrical border frames the interior.

This cup represents for me one of those Japanese ideals: a serviceable everyday tool, completely unpretentious, centered, quiet, inducing quiet, and perfect at what it is.

Aug 29th, '08, 06:15

by augie » Aug 29th, '08, 06:15

I chose maybe, not going to bet my life on it, tho. Have a happy weekend.

Aug 29th, '08, 06:41

by olivierco » Aug 29th, '08, 06:41

I chose "No I doubt it". For me tea is a healthy food not medicine.

Houjicha with my lunch right now.

Aug 29th, '08, 07:59

by cheaton » Aug 29th, '08, 07:59

I voted at "hopeful". There are many studies being published about the benefits of anti-oxidants. Since tea is a great, and proven, source of these disease fighting compounds I can't help but hope that the disease fighting benefits are present. If not, I still like it anyway. But, for me there is already some proof of the benefits as mentioned. That being said, if you smoke while lounging in the sun 8 hours a day I doubt tea will do you much good.... :lol:

Aug 29th, '08, 08:14

by Selaphiel » Aug 29th, '08, 08:14

I'm a bit divided on this issue. I think there is a reason scientists use a fair lot of time on researching the effects of tea, especially green tea. But I'm not one of those scientists, so I can at best read about some positive and negative finds and hope for the best. But I agree with Olivierco, tea is never medicine, but regular consumption of tea and other healthy food might be a barrier against some kinds of diseases.
Gotta keep in mind that there are research that indicates that too much green tea is hazardous as well, the polyphenols in tea can cause liver toxicity, but you have to drink quite a lot for that to happen, since normally those polyphenols are broken down. I think it's like 10 cups a day or more that can be hazardous according to the scientists.

More Yutaka Midori today :)

Aug 29th, '08, 08:35

shu lipids and diabetes

by hop_goblin » Aug 29th, '08, 08:35

All I know is that my step father was having trouble with his diabetes, even to the point where the medication he was taking was starting to become ineffective. I took it upon myself to send him a brick of shu for him to drink. After 2 weeks of drinking pu-erh in the morning and again early evening, his sugar levels have become normal, and his cholestrol has fallen as well. Of course it can be argued that the medication he was taking was begining to become effective, but then again, his sugar level was uncontrolable for almost a month before hand. Additionally, his lipid count had fallen unexpectedly since he was not taking any meds for it.

Aug 29th, '08, 08:48

by laran7 » Aug 29th, '08, 08:48

Overall yes - but in general we're not there yet. I would vote yes if these things were better understood -
I think tea is close to completely assimilated, can strengthen most people's immune systems and lift their spirits with the better subtle nutrition. I think each different tea - prepared in different strengths and temparatures has a slightly different potential in terms of healing. When you start mentioning specific dread diaseses you've got to be able to connect the dots.
Sorry, this is my interest and my passion in terms of tea -

I had a delicious, comforting cup of Twinnings Earl Grey with milk and honey last night (I brought a bunch of little packs to a teachers meeting, w/muffins) - and may again today! Once in a while I just go back to my roots.

Aug 29th, '08, 09:10

by Smari » Aug 29th, '08, 09:10

I chose maybe. I read in a few articles that it helps prevent cancer? Don't know if that is accurate enough or proven to be true. Either way, it's not going to stop me from drinking my tea :D

This morning, nothing in my cup yet. Still deciding on what to even eat for breakfast...

edit: Found me something for breakfast! My little Wagashi treats with some Sencha premier. Mmm... feel like a kid again :P

Aug 29th, '08, 09:26

by CynTEAa » Aug 29th, '08, 09:26

Phytonutrients! Like veggies and fruit, eaten regularly over long periods of time it must surely be beneficial. BUT drinking it for enjoyment is also beneficial. :)

Yunnan Gold to try and wake up. Need more... 8)

Happy Friday!

Aug 29th, '08, 09:48

by jogrebe » Aug 29th, '08, 09:48

Maybe because even though there is good news for tea from various studies it won't do any good unless your tea is also part of a healthy lifestyle. Regardless of how good tea is for you I doubt it is good enough to be able to neutralize the damage done by an unhealthy couch potato junk food diet lifestyle especially if you add heavy drinking and smoking to the mix.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Aug 29th, '08, 09:58

by joelbct » Aug 29th, '08, 09:58

CynTEAa wrote:Phytonutrients! Like veggies and fruit, eaten regularly over long periods of time it must surely be beneficial. BUT drinking it for enjoyment is also beneficial. :)
My sentiments exactly.... Don't underestimate the power of tea (and other plant foods), especially as part of an otherwise healthy lifestyle.

And TGIF!

health benefits of tea

And Keemun Hao Ya A today, first time I've had that in a while, delicious.

Aug 29th, '08, 10:17

by Selaphiel » Aug 29th, '08, 10:17

I have one thing to add regarding health effects of tea, it dawned on me now while having some nice Gyokuro Yume no ukihashi. If your reason for drinking tea for enjoyment, your mere enjoyment of such a nice drink should have positive effects on you, should never underestimate psychological factors when it comes to the well being of the physical body. :D

Aug 29th, '08, 10:29
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Aug 29th, '08, 10:29

"I doubt it" for me.

While I can easily enough believe that there's some good stuff in tea, and I'd put it in the long list of other things that the average person can consume in moderation every day, I hesitate to go farther than that.

Drink tea because it's great, and if it saves your live, well that's awesome.

But don't drink it to save your life.