Cheap little Tuo's

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 30th, '08, 11:03

Cheap little Tuo's

by shogun89 » Aug 30th, '08, 11:03

I was just looking around at YSLLC and came across these little things, It looks like a good deal but maybe a little to inexpensive? What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Nan-Jian-Tulin ... m153.l1262

Aug 30th, '08, 11:10

by heavydoom » Aug 30th, '08, 11:10

don't let the cheap price misguide you. scott gave me this tuo cha of a ripe tea which is not for sale on his site and it was the finest ripe tea i have had so far. the aftertaste was very different. i like it so much, it's gone now and i am looking for more. trouble is that i may have to buy this tea in this tuo form which i don't like.

i would go for this. i have a feeling that this is a good one. you might as well if you are making a huge order with wilson.

Aug 30th, '08, 11:15

by shogun89 » Aug 30th, '08, 11:15

Yeah they look good, I will probably get a pack. I kinda want to get a tuo since I have not had one yet, but now I will need a pick.

Aug 30th, '08, 11:16

by orguz » Aug 30th, '08, 11:16

you can't go wrong with shu pu it's all artificially fermented. you might pay more for gong ting shu, i think most other shu is pretty much the same. cheap doesn't mean poor quality. imo get it the tuos and age a few for 8 years and drink the rest now :twisted: .

Aug 30th, '08, 11:19

by shogun89 » Aug 30th, '08, 11:19

orguz wrote:you can't go wrong with shu pu it's all artificially fermented. you might pay more for gong ting shu, i think most other shu is pretty much the same. cheap doesn't mean poor quality. imo get it the tuos and age a few for 8 years and drink the rest now :twisted: .
Yep that was pretty much my plan, I too have never had a bad shu, they all have that same taste to them but vary a little.

Aug 30th, '08, 11:20

by chrl42 » Aug 30th, '08, 11:20

Let's see..Tulin Feng Huang Tuo Cha is what I have.

Mine is 00' Shu and it brews wonderful.

Feng Huang Tuo gets its praise as drinkable Pu at affordable price.

Started the production since 85, imitated Xia Guan Tuo and has both Sheng and Shu...and it already has many fakes!

Aug 30th, '08, 11:24

by shogun89 » Aug 30th, '08, 11:24

chrl42 wrote:Let's see..Tulin Feng Huang Tuo Cha is what I have.

Mine is 00' Shu and it brews wonderful.

Feng Huang Tuo gets its praise as drinkable Pu at affordable price.

Started the production since 85, imitated Xia Guan Tuo and has both Sheng and Shu...and it already has many fakes!
Thanks for the info. I will add this product to the list.

Aug 30th, '08, 11:50

by orguz » Aug 30th, '08, 11:50

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Yunnan-Tea-Res ... dZViewItem

yunnan tea institute also makes great teas but are less known, don't judge a book by its cover, fancy wrapper doesn't equal quality.

Aug 30th, '08, 13:57

by hop_goblin » Aug 30th, '08, 13:57

orguz wrote:you can't go wrong with shu pu it's all artificially fermented. you might pay more for gong ting shu, i think most other shu is pretty much the same. cheap doesn't mean poor quality. imo get it the tuos and age a few for 8 years and drink the rest now :twisted: .
Yes, exactly. Most shu believe it or not taste very similar to one another. Due to its process, any nuances or characteristics of individual regions has been lost. Shu is shu is shu. Some do taste better than other, but this is generally a consequence of production practices and not the leaf itself.

Cheers

Aug 30th, '08, 14:05

by shogun89 » Aug 30th, '08, 14:05

Hop, happy 1111 post day!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Aug 30th, '08, 15:08

by teakid » Aug 30th, '08, 15:08

hop_goblin wrote:
Yes, exactly. Most shu believe it or not taste very similar to one another. Due to its process, any nuances or characteristics of individual regions has been lost. Shu is shu is shu. Some do taste better than other, but this is generally a consequence of production practices and not the leaf itself.

Cheers
So, what about those shu cakes that are advertised as made from arbor trees? Are they not worth the extra cost? Lately, I've been noticing more higher priced shu cakes named as "organic" or "wild arbor" shu. I also noticed that shu beengs are priced slightly higher than sheng beengs from the same year. In the past, this was the reverse.

Aug 30th, '08, 15:30

by shogun89 » Aug 30th, '08, 15:30

teakid wrote:
hop_goblin wrote:

Cheers
So, what about those shu cakes that are advertised as made from arbor trees? Are they not worth the extra cost? Lately, I've been noticing more higher priced shu cakes named as "organic" or "wild arbor" shu. I also noticed that shu beengs are priced slightly higher than sheng beengs from the same year. In the past, this was the reverse.
I dont know about arbor leaves and shu, but the prices are changing and for a good reason, shu is much more labor intensive to make.

Aug 30th, '08, 15:48

by orguz » Aug 30th, '08, 15:48

The price for the raw tea leafs mao cha fluctuates which decides the price of a beeng i think. By reading descriptions for each tea beeng from the tea sites you obtain a faint idea, as to why prices are different between a shu and a sheng by the same manufacturer made in the same year. Shu, made from fermented mao cha is a proces which decreases the weight of the original tealeafs before fermentation. pound for pound it cost more for a shu, because more tea leafs are used to give the consumer a cooked 500gr cake compared to a 500gr raw cake.

Sep 2nd, '08, 14:20
Scrolling: scrolling

by Dizzwave » Sep 2nd, '08, 14:20

hop_goblin wrote:Most shu believe it or not taste very similar to one another. Due to its process, any nuances or characteristics of individual regions has been lost. Shu is shu is shu. Some do taste better than other, but this is generally a consequence of production practices and not the leaf itself.
I agree. But, there is *just* enough variation in shu flavors to keep me hunting out the good ones, appreciating all the differences in the ones I have, etc. In fact, I think I could blindly correctly identify most of the dozen or so shus in my cabinet, by taste alone.
Or not, I dunno. :) It's probably easier said than done.

Oct 7th, '08, 20:15

Re: Cheap little Tuo's

by t4texas » Oct 7th, '08, 20:15

shogun89 wrote:I was just looking around at YSLLC and came across these little things, It looks like a good deal but maybe a little to inexpensive? What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Nan-Jian-Tulin ... m153.l1262
I received this but have not gotten around to trying it yet. Have you?

+ Post Reply