Sleepy Teas

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 8th, '08, 00:16

Sleepy Teas

by devites » Sep 8th, '08, 00:16

I don't know if this is the right area to ask this, but I have gotten some weird energies from pu erh, e.g. sometimes I feel sedated others I am wired. Does anyone know of any sleep inducing Puerhs or tea in general?
Don't say chamomile. :twisted:

Sep 8th, '08, 10:55

by orguz » Sep 8th, '08, 10:55

Cha qi is mentioned alot I never experienced it, untill I tried a 1985 wild tuo. Felt slightly dizzy and wanted lie down to sleep. Others get warm and sweat from cha qi. What tea made you sleepy, maybe I should buy it?

Sep 8th, '08, 11:59
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Sep 8th, '08, 11:59

It could also depend on your own sensitivities to the different chemicals. I suspect that the sedating factor is probably L-Theanine (but I could be wrong). For me, almost all puerh with good qi can make me feel a little sedated and spacey - but not sleepy. Others find a bit of a lift from it (though still quite calm). It might be up to individual makeup, what time you drink it, and/or other unknown factors.

Just something to consider. Unfortunately I don't think there have been any studies on these things, at least not in English.

Sep 8th, '08, 12:06
Vendor Member

by TIM » Sep 8th, '08, 12:06

lots of time good tea can tell you what your body really needs. Sort of a self awakening? If you have a join ache, drinking a good chi tea can let you know where the problem located, or if you a very stressed and can not sleep well for long, the tea will make you relax and you can fall asleep easily.... But if you feel bad and spacey, that might be just bad tea?

Sep 8th, '08, 12:16

by ABx » Sep 8th, '08, 12:16

TIM wrote:lots of time good tea can tell you what your body really needs. Sort of a self awakening? If you have a join ache, drinking a good chi tea can let you know where the problem located, or if you a very stressed and can not sleep well for long, the tea will make you relax and you can fall asleep easily.... But if you feel bad and spacey, that might be just bad tea?
I totally agree :)

Hopefully my post didn't make it sound like it makes me feel bad in any way. The effect that I get from it is actually quite nice. I get a little sedated, and feel happy and inspired, but for me I get a little spacey as I'm prone to drift off into my imagination. It's just that I don't feel particularly sleepy.

Sep 8th, '08, 13:08

by silverneedles » Sep 8th, '08, 13:08

yup, totally depends on your own response to the tea substances.

i never got sedated or relaxed by tea, unless i'm already tired.
i find it really pleasant to drink,
and the hot liquid sometimes makes me energetic.

there are claims that this tea or other tea has a certain amount of caffeine, but unless you test the one in your cup you can't really be sure, as growth and production conditions can vary from crop to crop.
your best bet would be to make it in alot of water and dont steep for long.

Sep 9th, '08, 00:51

by thanks » Sep 9th, '08, 00:51

I can never sleep after drinking pu-erh in the evening/night hours. Sheng affects me much worse than shu does.

If you're looking for a tea that mellows you out, and is low in caffeine you might want to try Houjicha. Den's tea has an amazing (and amazingly well priced) houjicha gold that is delicious and soothing. In Japan it's given to sick children because it's caffeine content is perceptively low compared to other teas. Personally I'm not sure if anyone really knows the caffeine level of any tea specifically as there's so many variables involved, but overall almost all houjicha I've had is soothing.

Sep 9th, '08, 01:56

by devites » Sep 9th, '08, 01:56

Hojicha doesn't have enough flavor for me, i need something with more nuances. :(

Sep 9th, '08, 14:52

by VinceBLG » Sep 9th, '08, 14:52

genmai cha is fairly flavorful and one of the lowest caffeine green tea
Regards,

Vincent

www.BeanLeafGrape.com

+ Post Reply