Pu-erh Shop's American Hao


One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Pu-erh Shop's American Hao

Postby edkrueger » Sep 9th, '08, 15:42

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=624
It arrived today [edit: at puerhshop. I haven't bought it... yet.]
Last edited by edkrueger on Sep 9th, '08, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
edkrueger
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Jun 24th, '

Postby Wesli » Sep 9th, '08, 16:32

What I like about it is all the information Jim provides us with. I wish I could get that kind of info about all my pu.
User avatar
Wesli
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: Jun 8th, '0
Location: 3161 A.D.

Postby edkrueger » Sep 9th, '08, 16:45

That is really nice and there are processing pictures too!
User avatar
edkrueger
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Jun 24th, '

Postby Salsero » Sep 9th, '08, 18:04

The pressure is on you now, dood. The whole world is watching while you sip. Anyone know what the difference is between the large and small cakes? Why two sizes?
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby brandon » Sep 9th, '08, 18:23

Color me skeptical. The price is tipping very close to the highest end at Yunnan Sourcing. The famous LBZ produced by folks from the well regarded Mengku factor is selling for less. These are both blends, whatever their respective descriptions imply. But this one is a complete unknown, a shot in the dark, sold at the price of a top end cake from a big name factory. This is supposed to be believed by you, because of the implied association with Xi-Zhi Hao.

http://www.puerhshop.com/blog/index.php?itemid=149
http://houdeblog.com/?p=64

I don't know the history of the XZH production every year, but I also haven't seen many premium spring cakes that are full of big ugly leaves.

And if you're really after a classic blend by XZH, just get one for the same price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Xi-Zhi-Hao-Cla ... m153.l1262

Edit: Don't let me dissuade you from trying a sample, I would love to hear how it goes. I am just playing down Wesli's enthusiasm.
User avatar
brandon
 
Posts: 1530
Joined: Sep 25th, '

Postby Salsero » Sep 9th, '08, 18:42

brandon wrote:Color me skeptical ... I would love to hear how it goes. I am just playing down Wesli's enthusiasm.
I agree with you, Brandon, that this is an unknown quantity. It's great that Jim makes a 2 oz sample available, however, and I agree with Wesli that this tea has more info behind it than most other offerings out there (with the exception of Nada's own tea, which is now sold out).

I note that Wesli's wild exuberance has not yet resulted in a purchase.

All of which puts even more enormous pressure on edkreuger's shoulders! :lol: At this point he'll probably be too scared to ever say anything for fear we will blame him for our decision to buy or not buy.
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby tony shlongini » Sep 9th, '08, 18:45

brandon wrote:Color me skeptical. The price is tipping very close to the highest end at Yunnan Sourcing. The famous LBZ produced by folks from the well regarded Mengku factor is selling for less. These are both blends, whatever their respective descriptions imply. But this one is a complete unknown, a shot in the dark, sold at the price of a top end cake from a big name factory. This is supposed to be believed by you, because of the implied association with Xi-Zhi Hao.

http://www.puerhshop.com/blog/index.php?itemid=149
http://houdeblog.com/?p=64

I don't know the history of the XZH production every year, but I also haven't seen many premium spring cakes that are full of big ugly leaves.

And if you're really after a classic blend by XZH, just get one for the same price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Xi-Zhi-Hao-Cla ... m153.l1262

Edit: Don't let me dissuade you from trying a sample, I would love to hear how it goes. I am just playing down Wesli's enthusiasm.


Very good point.

While I applaud any effort to further the cause of puerh in the states, this reminds me a bit of all the boutique wineries in California who have been in business for a few years then release a wine as expensive as a first growth Bordeaux.

Start small and work your way up, and I'd have less trouble accepting your claims. While $30-35 isn't exactly high end, it's not cheap for a newly released beeng. Though not as expensive as the premium XZH's or Chen Guang-He Tangs, it's priced decidedly towards the high end of offerings from some long established factories.
User avatar
tony shlongini
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '
Location: The Isle of Malta

Postby shogun89 » Sep 9th, '08, 19:30

I personally think it looks very good. I am pleased with the info that Jim has provided us with. On the other hand as some of you had said, for $35 you can get a pretty darn nice cake, all I am saying is that for that price on a new beeng it better had blown my socks off. I really would love to try some at some point. Please share any comments for those who have had it.
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby edkrueger » Sep 9th, '08, 19:40

When I said it arrived, I meant it arrived at puerhshop.
User avatar
edkrueger
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Jun 24th, '

Postby Salsero » Sep 9th, '08, 19:46

edkrueger wrote: When I said it arrived, I meant it arrived at puerhshop.
Oh no! Now the pressure is on everyone else!
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby thanks » Sep 9th, '08, 20:57

That looks like a lot of huang pian, but I haven't tried it so I won't pass judgment.

I will be ordering a sample when I can, which is next weekend and let you guys know how it is when it arrives. I hope my sample includes a sizable amount of huang pian so I can pass a fairer judgment on the tea as a whole. If anyone gets it before me, please share your tasting notes.[/i]
User avatar
thanks
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mar 31st, '

Postby VinceBLG » Sep 10th, '08, 12:31

Smells like a gimmick.

Not to say that it cannot or will not be any good.
User avatar
VinceBLG
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Aug 7th, '0
Location: Ithaca, N.Y.

Postby hop_goblin » Sep 10th, '08, 19:27

I went to my mail box today and to my suprise there was a sample. Stay tuned!
User avatar
hop_goblin
 
Posts: 1937
Joined: May 22nd, '
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!

Postby shogun89 » Sep 10th, '08, 20:12

hop_goblin wrote:I went to my mail box today and to my suprise there was a sample. Stay tuned!


You are soooo lucky! I wish I got pu samples like that!!!!
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Salsero » Sep 10th, '08, 20:26

hop_goblin wrote: Stay tuned!
We're all ears!
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation