Disappointed with Chocolate Tea

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

Mar 31st, '08, 08:33

Disappointed with Chocolate Tea

by henley » Mar 31st, '08, 08:33

I'm open for suggestions... The times that I've tried chocolate tea either alone or mixed w/something, it has a bitterness to it. I don't know if I simply don't like it or if I'm doing something wrong. I use boiling water & steep for 4 min.

Mar 31st, '08, 09:28

by Mary R » Mar 31st, '08, 09:28

In my experience, chocolate is one of the more difficult flavors to reproduce in a flavored tea. Some are just downright awful. I really doubt it's anything you're doing in the brewing...it's most likely the tea itself.

That being said, I've been brewing a lot of Adagio's Valentine these days. It's a chocolate-cherry flavor, and it's a good one. I've had more success when I use 190ºF-200ºF water for about 4 minutes than when I use boiling.

Mar 31st, '08, 11:19

by henley » Mar 31st, '08, 11:19

Adagio's Valentine & chocolate mint are about the only chocolate teas I've liked. The flavor was very subtle. I purchased a tin of chocolate tea as I like making my own combos but haven't hit the nail on the head yet.

Thanx for the tip on lowering the water temp. Will have to try that next time.

Mar 31st, '08, 16:14

by Cinnamon Kitty » Mar 31st, '08, 16:14

For the chocolate tea sample that I have from Adagio, I found that it tasted better with a pinch of peppermint and a little bit of sugar. I used 1 tsp of chocolate tea with 1/2 tsp or less of peppermint with boiling water for about 4 minutes. I added a few sugar crystals too. It ended up tasting like a peppermint patty, heavily minty, but with a dark chocolate aftertaste.

For Valentines tea, I've been using boiling water for 4 minutes and adding a splash of either soy or almond milk. I've found that the milk brings out the chocolate covered strawberry flavor. It also gives the tea a lightly creamy, decadent taste that makes it feel like I am having desert in a tea mug.

Mar 31st, '08, 16:38

by olivierco » Mar 31st, '08, 16:38

I have never understood the need to drink a tea with a chocolate taste.

For me (real) chocolate has a too strong flavor that annihilates the taste of the tea.

Mar 31st, '08, 17:00

by Eastree » Mar 31st, '08, 17:00

olivierco wrote:I have never understood the need to drink a tea with a chocolate taste.

For me (real) chocolate has a too strong flavor that annihilates the taste of the tea.
It's something similar for me. Besides the strong taste, there's also a range of texture expected with anything chocolate I have. And there's also the purity of real chocolate; not that I can necessarily tell every time, but when it's not real , I usually don't enjoy it as much. Chocolate needs to be thick, hopefully creamy, and full of flavor.

Mar 31st, '08, 22:12

by Mary R » Mar 31st, '08, 22:12

Cinnamon Kitty wrote:I've found that the milk brings out the chocolate covered strawberry flavor. It also gives the tea a lightly creamy, decadent taste that makes it feel like I am having desert in a tea mug.
Ditto. Ditto, ditto, ditto.

I'm very much anti-milk, but one day I brewed the Valentine's a shade too long and it got very tannic, and tannic teas seem to get a little more complex when milk is added, so I tried it.

Wow.

Now Valentine's with milk is my guilty indulgence. I'm such a terrible purist. :roll:

Mar 31st, '08, 22:20

by RussianSoul » Mar 31st, '08, 22:20

Oh? Valentine's with milk? How interesting! I love milk in my tea, but so far it was limited to Assams. And I was not that impressed with Valentine's blend by itself - too flavored for me. Must try Valentine's with milk :idea: .

Thanks Mary and Cinnamon Kitty!

Apr 1st, '08, 00:23

by Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 1st, '08, 00:23

RussianSoul wrote:Oh? Valentine's with milk? How interesting! I love milk in my tea, but so far it was limited to Assams. And I was not that impressed with Valentine's blend by itself - too flavored for me. Must try Valentine's with milk :idea: .

Thanks Mary and Cinnamon Kitty!
Welcome! I actually learned the tip while reading the reviews people left for the tea on the Adagio site. I've learned that they sometimes have good brewing tips though it takes a while to go through all the reviews to find something useful.

I fully agree with Mary. Valentines is one of the two teas that I will ever put milk in. The other tea is Vanilla Rooibos, which doesn't need the milk to taste good, but I learned it tastes like sugar cookies when a bit of vanilla soy milk is added.

Apr 1st, '08, 01:21
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Apr 1st, '08, 01:21

I drink a lot of chocolate tea. I rinse with hot water first, which gets rid of the bitterness.

Second, I use 2 tsp for 20 oz of water for 4 minutes. I use boiling, but that is about 197 or so where I live.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes -- Douglas Adams.

Apr 24th, '08, 20:56

by keelyn » Apr 24th, '08, 20:56

I dunno, I love Adagio's Chocolate and Valentine's teas both steeped at 212 degrees for 3-4 min, without milk or sugar. My ratio is 1 tsp tea to 16 oz of water.

I like Adagio's chocolate flavoring better than some other chocolate tea flavoring, which to me taste like Raisinettes rather than real chocolate.

I might have to try the tea with some milk sometime as per the suggestions, but I usually only use milk in spicy chais.

Sep 16th, '08, 23:38

by Wosret » Sep 16th, '08, 23:38

I was sceptical about chocolate tea, but I tried a chocolate mint tea and it was delicious! Perhaps they used chocolate mint leaf, rather than chocolate and mint? I was very pleasantly surprised.

Sep 20th, '08, 06:07

by henley » Sep 20th, '08, 06:07

Wosret wrote:I was sceptical about chocolate tea, but I tried a chocolate mint tea and it was delicious! Perhaps they used chocolate mint leaf, rather than chocolate and mint? I was very pleasantly surprised.
Chocolate mint tea is one of the few flavored teas I like. It reminds me of Andes candy or a York Peppermint Patty w/o the guilt. :lol:

Sep 20th, '08, 14:26

by Wosret » Sep 20th, '08, 14:26

Peppermint patties are low fat, anyway! ;)

Sep 26th, '08, 15:29

Weight Watchers

by cajunwowi » Sep 26th, '08, 15:29

I'm on Weight Watchers and sometimes can't get past the urge for chocolate. I agree Valentine Tea definately fills that need for something sweet. But I have to have a touch of milk or soy in it. Yummy!!!

Barely any WW Points!!!

+ Post Reply