Problem with the forum

We're always open to a little constructive criticism.

Sep 21st, '08, 06:05

Problem with the forum

by Beidao » Sep 21st, '08, 06:05

Sometimes when I'm on teachat and closes the window, somewhere around 50 windows opens. As soon as I close on, another on opens. It always has the same content as the one I closed. Often the computer crashes when this happens. It has happened about 20 times now and always on teachat, never anywhere else. I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with it.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Sep 21st, '08, 06:09

by olivierco » Sep 21st, '08, 06:09

I haven't experienced this kind of problem.

Sep 21st, '08, 08:12
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Sep 21st, '08, 08:12

Which operating system and browser are you running? And are you using anti-spyware/greyware/virus/etc. software?

Also, do you have toolbars such as the Google Toolbar installed? I have seen these lead to some strange browser behavior.

This doesn't sound like TeaChat behavior at all.

Sep 21st, '08, 09:09

by Beidao » Sep 21st, '08, 09:09

I use Windows. It seems to happen with Internet Explorer but not with Avant Browser. I use AVG Anti Virus and I have Google toolbar.

Sep 21st, '08, 09:12
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Sep 21st, '08, 09:12

OK, you might try disabling the Google Toolbar for a browsing session and see if the behavior changes. That toolbar usually plays nice, but might be allowing some undesirable behavior through your IE browser.

For forum viewing and such, I usually stick with Firefox and no special toolbars installed. And I use IE with Google Toolbar (and very few other such enhancements) for special purposes. This seems to keep my difficulties near zero.

Sep 21st, '08, 10:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Sep 21st, '08, 10:21

I have also never had a problem with TeaChat, and I have used it with several combinations of OSs and browsers.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Sep 21st, '08, 14:57

by Chip » Sep 21st, '08, 14:57

I had a weird problem once, possibly twice. I could see stacks of TC windows opening on a partial screen. More ond more kept opening in a cascade fashion. I finally just closed IE and reopened.

I attributed it to Vista :evil: It is not unusual to have other weird IE stuff happen with Vista.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Sep 21st, '08, 15:50

by chamekke » Sep 21st, '08, 15:50

I haven't had the problem that Beidao describes, but I do find that there are some times I simply can't connect with TeaChat at all.

For example, I was working through some threads this morning when, somewhere between 10:15 or 10:30 Pacific (can't recall the exact time), the TeaChat site stopped responding. I couldn't post to the thread I was in, and I couldn't even open the homepage. The site was unavailable (as far as I was concerned) for the next half hour or so - I periodically checked it as I visited some other sites, which did work just fine - and finally I gave up and stopped trying. This post represents my first attempt since lunchtime.

This has happened several times before. Am I the only person experiencing these outages, or is this a site issue, or...?

Sep 21st, '08, 16:42

by Salsero » Sep 21st, '08, 16:42

chamekke wrote: I do find that there are some times I simply can't connect with TeaChat at all.
I was having similar problems when using IE. In fact, I had exactly the problem you describe...in the middle of writing a thread. I just figured TeaChat was down, but I discovered that Firefox worked just fine during these episodes. Since then I have been using mostly Firefox to access TeaChat. I have also found this to happen with Firefox, but very infrequently.

Sep 21st, '08, 19:58

by chamekke » Sep 21st, '08, 19:58

Salsero wrote:I just figured TeaChat was down, but I discovered that Firefox worked just fine during these episodes. Since then I have been using mostly Firefox to access TeaChat. I have also found this to happen with Firefox, but very infrequently.
Thanks for the tip! The next time this happens, I'll see if using Firefox solves the problem.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Sep 22nd, '08, 02:40

by Beidao » Sep 22nd, '08, 02:40

Chip wrote:I had a weird problem once, possibly twice. I could see stacks of TC windows opening on a partial screen. More ond more kept opening in a cascade fashion. I finally just closed IE and reopened.

I attributed it to Vista :evil: It is not unusual to have other weird IE stuff happen with Vista.
I don't know what partial screen is, but the thing you describe sounds alot like "my problem"

Sep 29th, '08, 00:23

Re: Problem with the forum

by motokochan » Sep 29th, '08, 00:23

Beidao wrote:Often the computer crashes when this happens. It has happened about 20 times now and always on teachat, never anywhere else. I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with it.
It's a bug in IE7. If you close the window at the "right" time when a page is refreshing or has activity, it can cause IE to spawn new windows of the page that was closed until you manage to kill the iexplore.exe process or the computer crashes. If you have the shoutbox/chat active that will cause enough activity to trigger this bug.

Sep 29th, '08, 02:12

by Victoria » Sep 29th, '08, 02:12

Do you love that we all have FireFox as a back up, so we never miss a beat?
I mean really?
:)

Sep 29th, '08, 08:50

by caligatia » Sep 29th, '08, 08:50

Victoria wrote:Do you love that we all have FireFox as a back up, so we never miss a beat?
Backup? I don't use anything BUT Firefox!

(Then again, I run Linux. Heh. Although I use Firefox under Windows too.)

Sep 29th, '08, 10:04

by tsverrir » Sep 29th, '08, 10:04

A rule of thumb. Stay away from IE when possible...

+ Post Reply