What's a teaspoon?

Completely off the Topic of Tea

What's a teaspoon?

Postby Klondike » Feb 8th, '06, 23:39

Hey there. I'm new to loose tea and have been reading much and drinking it in like a sponge. But I have a question about a the meaning of "teaspoon" as it's used in the instructions of brewing a cup or a pot of tea. Example: use 1 teaspoon of tea per cup of tea. Is that a measured "teaspoon" as one would use in cooking or is it a heaping silverware teaspoon as in what's used as silverware at the dinner table. Or, is it just a matter of taste as to how much or how little tea is actually used per cup. I'm thinking it's the last option, a matter of taste. Maybe I'm making too much of this but from my reading, I'm learning that little things make big differences. Thanks in advance.

Klondike

Postby Kai » Feb 9th, '06, 00:26

Ya know, I just recently (past month or so) realized that a teaspoon is a TeaSpoon. IE, a spoon for tea.

I'm guessing that's the unit of measure for a cup (8oz) of tea and that's how it originally got started.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teaspoon

I'm guessing you can do either... because not all teas are the same size and shape.

User avatar Kai

Postby TeaFanatic » Feb 9th, '06, 01:20

I would agree that you can do either. I use a measuring teaspoon per 8 oz cup and that always works out just fine for most teas. For lighter more voluminous teas I'll use 1.5-2 tsps per 8 oz cup.

In all reality, you are just going to have to get some teas and play around until you find what you like.

User avatar TeaFanatic

Postby teaspoon » Feb 9th, '06, 09:11

I've used both, and noticed no appreciable difference. Usually I just use a silverware teaspoon.

~tsp

User avatar teaspoon

Postby garden gal » Feb 9th, '06, 09:36

I use a measuring teaspoon but find whatever works best for you and stick with it. I tried the 1 tsp/cup and for me it was way too strong except for the white teas. I must like mine really weak because I use 1-2 tsp for my trinitea which makes 4 cups and many times I run it through twice. I want to try more teas but I don't use them up fast enough! I figure they have a shelf life and I better use what I have down some before I go looking for more.

garden gal

Postby marz910 » Feb 9th, '06, 10:29

Kai wrote:Ya know, I just recently (past month or so) realized that a teaspoon is a TeaSpoon. IE, a spoon for tea.

Alton Brown from the Foodnetwork did an episode on tea. Where he tells of how the "teaspoon" got it's name as a spoon for tea. Here is one of the recipes from that show.

Perfect Cup of Tea
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Ingredients
4 heaping teaspoons loose tea
4 cups water

Directions
Place loose tea leaves into a warmed tea kettle. Pour heated water over
loose tea leaves. Let steep. Strain tea and serve.
*Note: For Oolong and Green tea, water should simmer at 200 degrees F. and 180 degrees F.
*For Irish and English tea bring water to a full boil.
*Black tea should soak for 3 to 5 minutes. Oolong tea should soak for 4 to 7 minutes. Green Tea
should soak for 2 to 3 minutes.

I like my tea a little weaker so I use a measuring teaspoon instead. It's all about taste. Hope this helps.

User avatar marz910
Contact marz910:

Postby Guest » Feb 9th, '06, 10:55

Thanks to everyone for the input. I'll go ahead and figure out what works best for me and go from there. Thanks so much.

Postby Kai » Feb 9th, '06, 12:08

Alton Brown is awesome.

:D

User avatar Kai

Postby vbguy772 » Feb 9th, '06, 13:23

I've been looking everywhere for the tea kettle he used on that show and can't find it. Instead of a whistler, it had little rocket ships that revolved around the kettle to signal the boil. Way Cool ! If anyone has any leads, please let me know.

Happy sipping...............

Ron

User avatar vbguy772

Postby Marlene » Feb 13th, '06, 15:35

By all accounts they had stopped making it. :( Good news is, I've heard that the show created a large demand for them, and they've been thinking of re-issuing the design. Who is they? Your guess is as good as mine.

User avatar Marlene
Contact Marlene:

Today's Poll

Community

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests