Worst shu

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 28th, '08, 06:49

Worst shu

by Ti » Sep 28th, '08, 06:49

Always people talk about what is best. If there is best then there must be worst. If awards were given out for worst shu which ones would win?

Sep 28th, '08, 07:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Sep 28th, '08, 07:28

Stash shu teabags
Adagio puerh dante

When I tasted the above, I was not well informed about puerh, so I will qualify slightly. I did follow the brewing instructions from the respective vendors and got something completely undrinkable every time. Adagio's puerh is currently sold out, so it is obvious that someone out there likes this stuff.

In my opinion, Rishi is the only domestic puerh vendor who's teas are clean enough to hold up to Western brewing (as suggested in the packaging). The others maintain a serious fishy/pond taste that is indicative of recent fermentation. This is found in most new shu products, and improves over time. New premium products are likely to be pressed this year from leaves that were fermented 1-2 years ago. This lets the factory sell ready to drink tea.

Red Blossom Nannuo Shan Shou Pu-erh, 1997

Again, I would like to try this again now that I am well versed in cooked puerh and gong fu brewing. The leaves and fermentation both look pretty low grade, though.

2006 TongQing Hao Pu-erh Tea Brick

There is no excuse at all for this tea. It went immediately to the trash. The vendors above do not specialize in puerh, and their products are high quality overall. This tea, on the other hand, was included in a sampler of 5 of the vendors cooked teas, and was meant to showcase the store. Unfortunately, 2 out of the 5 samples were undrinkable. The other three were quality cooked teas, and I am glad to have tried them.

Sep 28th, '08, 09:23
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Sep 28th, '08, 09:23

The worst I've ever tried was Dante. Simply vile.

Sep 28th, '08, 10:09

by omegapd » Sep 28th, '08, 10:09

brandon wrote: Adagio's puerh is currently sold out, so it is obvious that someone out there likes this stuff.
I was lucky enough to get some before it "went missing" on the webpage. My tin had at least 3 bugs in it that I found. Probably more that I didn't find. They looked like flying ants and were dead, floating at the top of the tea pot after infusion. I always wondered if that was a reason it became "sold out" a short time later...

Good friend that I am, I gave the rest of my tin to Salsero. :lol:

EW

Sep 28th, '08, 10:12

by Victoria » Sep 28th, '08, 10:12

Well I'm a new to puerh, but can I still weigh in on my worst experience so far? It was a mini Rose Tuo Cha from YS.

The tuo was unbreakable. I started with two flash rinses at which point it did break up and looked promising, however it was completely horrid and undrinkable.

Unless you are knowledgeable or extremely lucky, my advice is as others have stated - stay away from the cheap stuff.

Sep 28th, '08, 10:18

by omegapd » Sep 28th, '08, 10:18

Victoria wrote:stay away from the cheap stuff.
:P That's all I buy and I love it. Pu-erh Shop's little mini-bricks and their loose leaf Golden Sail are two of my favorites for shu. :wink:

Sep 28th, '08, 10:25

by Victoria » Sep 28th, '08, 10:25

Watch for a package coming your way soon!!

:lol:

Sep 28th, '08, 11:11

by insanitylater » Sep 28th, '08, 11:11

stash has shu bags

i did not know this :shock:

Sep 28th, '08, 11:54

by brandon » Sep 28th, '08, 11:54

http://shopstashtea.com/68458.html

This tops the list for me.

Sep 28th, '08, 12:00

by Ti » Sep 28th, '08, 12:00

brandon wrote: In my opinion, Rishi is the only domestic puerh vendor who's teas are clean enough to hold up to Western brewing (as suggested in the packaging).

...maintain a serious fishy/pond taste that is indicative of recent fermentation.
Funny to see Rishi mentioned. I was in Wegmans today looking through all the teas they have and they had Rishi puerh toucha! I was utterly amazed to see puerh in a grocery store around here. I shook the can and I could hear the little touchas banging around. I've never had any Rishi products so I was skeptical to say the least. I have recently upgraded (hopefully) to Puerh Shop for some pu. My experience with mini touchas isn't something I want to repeat. Talk about fishy/ pond taste! I tried to make smoked salmon tea using that lousy pu and some lapsang souchong but it didn't work out to hot.

Sep 28th, '08, 13:32

by ABx » Sep 28th, '08, 13:32

Ti wrote:
brandon wrote: In my opinion, Rishi is the only domestic puerh vendor who's teas are clean enough to hold up to Western brewing (as suggested in the packaging).

...maintain a serious fishy/pond taste that is indicative of recent fermentation.
Funny to see Rishi mentioned. I was in Wegmans today looking through all the teas they have and they had Rishi puerh toucha! I was utterly amazed to see puerh in a grocery store around here. I shook the can and I could hear the little touchas banging around. I've never had any Rishi products so I was skeptical to say the least. I have recently upgraded (hopefully) to Puerh Shop for some pu. My experience with mini touchas isn't something I want to repeat. Talk about fishy/ pond taste! I tried to make smoked salmon tea using that lousy pu and some lapsang souchong but it didn't work out to hot.
Mmmm, smoked salmon ala stagnant mud puddle :lol:

Sep 28th, '08, 13:41

by brandon » Sep 28th, '08, 13:41

Sep 28th, '08, 14:12

by edkrueger » Sep 28th, '08, 14:12

I come to the defense of the Rishi one. Its a lot better than many, or maybe most of the commonly available ones. Its beats adagio pu-erh, ten tea loose shu, the ubiquitous ancient maiden and many others. That said, I would not drink it unless I ran out of real shu.

Sep 28th, '08, 14:54

by Salsero » Sep 28th, '08, 14:54

omegapd wrote: Good friend that I am, I gave the rest of my tin to Salsero.
I enjoyed the Dante, especially the subtle tang of insect parts.

The worst I have had was some Menghai cakes that had a taste of rubber. That was over a year ago and they seem to have lost that taste now.

Sep 28th, '08, 15:49

by omegapd » Sep 28th, '08, 15:49

I almost forgot- Bronzebed sent me a "weight loss" :oops: Pu-erh from Teavana that is flavored with strawberries. I've yet to try it, though. But, just on idea alone, I'll bet it'll qualify. :wink:

EW

+ Post Reply