Aging Oolong?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 28th, '08, 18:43

by edkrueger » Sep 28th, '08, 18:43

I'd be concerned about the jar not getting enough moisture/air exposure. Maybe try another one half full.

Sep 28th, '08, 18:47

by PolyhymnianMuse » Sep 28th, '08, 18:47

edkrueger wrote:I'd be concerned about the jar not getting enough moisture/air exposure. Maybe try another one half full.
You could always just open up the jar once and awhile. Would that be enough?

I think I may have to try some experiments :)

Say a tea did go sour for whatever reason. What could you do to save it?

Sep 28th, '08, 18:55

by edkrueger » Sep 28th, '08, 18:55

Roast it! Some sourness is appreciated though, like the sourness found in TKY. A good aged oolong should have some sour plum taste.

Sep 29th, '08, 10:25
Vendor Member

by TIM » Sep 29th, '08, 10:25

shogun89 wrote:Heres todays project. Wuyi in a mason jar. Will store it for about 20 years, then open it up. Sal, I think you should drink the '90s tea.

Wrap it with Alu. Foil all around. If I may suggest. No Light contact.

Sep 29th, '08, 15:08

by shogun89 » Sep 29th, '08, 15:08

Not a bad idea, will do.

Sep 29th, '08, 16:11

by eanglin » Sep 29th, '08, 16:11

Try painting it with black paint, or aluminum paint instead, then if you're crafty, decorate the jar and make it pretty. (Go for maximum opacity.)

Aluminum foil is going to get holes in it as it corrodes over time. I don't know about you but I'd tend to forget about a project like this for years at a time.

I can tell you herbs stored in unpainted mason jars don't do very well. They become completely flavorless after a few years, but light damage will account for that.

Sep 29th, '08, 16:16

by shogun89 » Sep 29th, '08, 16:16

eanglin wrote:Try painting it with black paint, or aluminum paint instead, then if you're crafty, decorate the jar and make it pretty. (Go for maximum opacity.)

Aluminum foil is going to get holes in it as it corrodes over time. I don't know about you but I'd tend to forget about a project like this for years at a time.

I can tell you herbs stored in unpainted mason jars don't do very well. They become completely flavorless after a few years, but light damage will account for that.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will eventually think of something.

Sep 29th, '08, 21:48

by PolyhymnianMuse » Sep 29th, '08, 21:48

eanglin wrote:Try painting it with black paint, or aluminum paint instead, then if you're crafty, decorate the jar and make it pretty. (Go for maximum opacity.)

How about a nice layer of tar/asphalt? I dont know how well it would adhere to glass jars, perhaps if it was pretty thick. Where I work I know when that stuff gets on a dump truck or something of the sort it works way better than any kind of paint you could find.

Sep 29th, '08, 23:29

by Bubba_tea » Sep 29th, '08, 23:29

Woah - you're hardcore! Tar? I like the pretty wrapping paper idea better... ;-)

Sep 29th, '08, 23:47

by PolyhymnianMuse » Sep 29th, '08, 23:47

Bubba_tea wrote:Woah - you're hardcore! Tar? I like the pretty wrapping paper idea better... ;-)
It just popped into my head spur of the moment, but I think that would work out quite well to keep out sunlight. Of course you would have to let it harden up good before handling it at all but I dont think it would have any negative effects as you would just be coating it up to the rim of the top where the cap scews on. Of course my reasoning is that this would be permanent and you theres no worry of anything you just wrap the jar in getting worn out.

Sep 30th, '08, 03:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Sep 30th, '08, 03:51

I'd think paint to be a bit easier. Of course you could do something as simple as putting the whole jar in a cardboard box or a cloth bag, too.

Sep 30th, '08, 03:52

by ABx » Sep 30th, '08, 03:52

This actually makes me wonder. Does the same happen in other glass containers as well? (I really don't have any experience in this area.)

Feb 8th, '09, 19:30

by Herb_Master » Feb 8th, '09, 19:30

Imen's latest posting on Tea Obsession suggests that all DanCongs give rewarding results when aged!

http://tea-obsession.blogspot.com/2009/ ... oenix.html

Feb 9th, '09, 02:50

by PolyhymnianMuse » Feb 9th, '09, 02:50

What a great read! So he suggests that airtight metal canisters are the best way to store dan cong for aging? I see he also says to NOT use thick yixing, but nothing else beyond that about yixing with dan congs...

Feb 9th, '09, 06:02

by Herb_Master » Feb 9th, '09, 06:02

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:What a great read! So he suggests that airtight metal canisters are the best way to store dan cong for aging? I see he also says to NOT use thick yixing, but nothing else beyond that about yixing with dan congs...
SHE does elsewhere, suggesting that Gaiwans are preferred if you want to home in on the Fragrance, and Yixing for Taste and texture

http://tea-obsession.blogspot.com/2008/ ... -cong.html
When not using kung fu style method, use 1 g in 120 ml gaiwan, steep for 2 minutes in boiling water.

Utensils:
Use gaiwan to enhance aroma. Use thin wall small clay pot to enhance taste and texture, small chao zhou or zhuni pot would be good choices.

+ Post Reply