caffeine in black tea?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jun 7th, '05, 14:30
Mod/Admin

caffeine in black tea?

by teachat » Jun 7th, '05, 14:30

What is the level of caffeine in an average cup of black tea?

Tara

Jun 7th, '05, 14:31
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 7th, '05, 14:31

The long answer is it varies. The caffeine level depends on the tea in question, amount used, length of steep and temperature of water. The short answer is about the same as found in a can of Coke. Or half that found in a cup of coffee.

Alla

Mod/Admin

The interesting thing is - most of that caffeine is released in the very first minute. So you may 'decaffeinate' any tea by pouring out the liquid after a short steep, and steeping afresh, now virtually caffeine-free. Anyone else try to do this?

Michael

Mod/Admin

I heard of this too. In fact I posted under the "decaf" topic before I saw your comment. I reuse my leaves and drink tea most of the day. I don't notice the effects of more caffeine like I used to when I drank soda after soda. So I'd say it works. I read about this at teatimeworldwide.com

Lori Noble

Jun 7th, '05, 14:32
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 7th, '05, 14:32

I have read that depending on the tea, that pouring off the first water added w/out allowing it to steep removes from 60-90% of the caffeine from the tea.

Catherine

Mod/Admin

If one made tea like that in Ireland (where I live) or England, the majority of people would consider it an appalling waste of good tea.
The amount of caffeine in tea, has never done me any harm and I am now 76 years of age and still going strong.
From tea we draw friendship and eternity. )

Eileen Austin

Mod/Admin

Perhaps it is a waste of tea, but as I am getting my toddler to enjoy tea with me I home-decaf it with the above method. I also water his cup down quite a bit. He still really enjoys it,and we get to have another little mommy-son moment. My hubby is a bit leary, but yet he doesn't have any problem giving him sips of coke or small bits of chocolate!

Cathy

Mod/Admin

In the world of Los Angeles, where leaf-blowers and screechers on cellphones are a constant, the amount of caffeine in black tea and any potential harm is not a worthy subject of complaint. I find that I am greatly encouraged, lightened and enlightened through the imbiding of pot after pot of good keemun and yunnan teas during my piano practice and study of Beethoven Sonatas, Bach Fugues, Chopin, Brahms, and Messiaen's organ masterpieces. I am never happier than in the midst of my own private communion with these masters. And my practice seesions are much invigorated by pots of good tea, enabling me to replace the noise that has overtaken our city, with the nourishment of music.

Timothy

Jun 7th, '05, 14:33
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 7th, '05, 14:33

The (ridiculously expensive) brand the Republic of Tea says a cup of tea has about a third of the caffeine of a cup of coffee.

Tara

Mod/Admin

I was touched by your words, "From tea we draw friendship and eternity." I have felt the same in the great pleasure I have enjoyed sharing tea with companion who could enjoy silence and the serene bouquet of a good tea on a wintry day. Though I currently live in Los Angeles, we have long, wintry days of rain rain and more rain. Hillsides slide away, rains falls without regard, and so I pour more tea and we sit securely (though I live in the edge of the hills!) It is wondrous, isn't it, what communion there is among those who truly enjoy a good, hot cup of tea, properly brewed. Though it's 4 in the morning, I think I shall not rest without a "cuppa."

Wondering if you are still in touch with this website, I am

truly yours,

Timothy

Mod/Admin

Good for you. I have three sons, all tea lovers. It's their favorite beverage when playing Dungeons and Dragons. My family didn't start drinking hot tea until after our trip to London this past spring. I am nearly fifty and my sons are teenagers so think of all the time we wasted over the years not enjoying tea to the fullest.We
argue over which teas are the best at the dinner table. I like Lapsang Souchong and they like Whittards Assam blend and Mom likes Whittards orginal.
Keep tea in your childs life he'll thank you for it later.

john

Mod/Admin

I drink black tea with milk every morning. Besides Assam and English Breakfast, what other black teas go well with milk?

Allan

Jun 7th, '05, 14:34
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 7th, '05, 14:34

Allan--

Thanks for the note. While I personally cannot recommend milk in tea, if this was a NECESSITY, I'd say a ceylon or an irish breakfast would also work well (Ceylon tea takes flavors and additions very well).

Here are the links:
http://www.adagio.com/black/ceylon_sonata.html
http://www.adagio.com/black/irish_breakfast.html

Hope all is well in the world of milk tea,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Jun 7th, '05, 14:34
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 7th, '05, 14:34

John,

Tea during D&D? I thought I was the only one! Too bad it annoys the DM no end when I get up to brew a new pot in the middle of battle!

Best wishes,
Marlene

Oct 28th, '05, 23:16

caf of tea

by DURDEN62 » Oct 28th, '05, 23:16

try looking here it give you info http://www.adagio.com/info/caffeine.html

+ Post Reply