Oct 6th, '08, 22:55

by t4texas » Oct 6th, '08, 22:55

Give me a minute and I'll see if there is something I can find on CTG on eBay to recommend.

Beyond that, it's worth taking the time to email any seller and ask if a pot is made on an electric potter's wheel or if it is hand made with molds (completely hand-made not a possibility at this price range, right?).

If you say "electric potter's wheel" that may prevent confusion with the lazy-susan used when hand-made with molds.
Last edited by t4texas on Oct 7th, '08, 00:35, edited 2 times in total.

Oct 6th, '08, 23:41

by t4texas » Oct 6th, '08, 23:41

130ml pot Similar to one of mine, I think this one was probably made on a wheel.

140ml pot Probably made on a wheel.

120ml pot This one may be hand-made with molds.

If you are interested in any of these, my suggestion is: Ask them how they were made and anything else that's important to how you want to use them. While they're not going to know the pour rate, they may be able to tell you whether it is relatively thick- or thin-bodied. And let them know that you want it to make tea, not just for display and want one with the best clay they have. You could get two of these shipped for under $40.

Oct 6th, '08, 23:46
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Oct 6th, '08, 23:46

Wow. Those are incredibly beautiful for that price! Could they possibly be as nice looking in person? The one with the wide mouth looks like it might work for Dan Cong or other long-leaved teas.

Oct 7th, '08, 00:03

by scruffmcgruff » Oct 7th, '08, 00:03

Good finds, t4texas, thanks for posting those links (not that I'm in the market, just sayin'). The first one looks like it might even have a good pour speed. The last one, on the other hand... heh.

Oct 7th, '08, 00:33

by t4texas » Oct 7th, '08, 00:33

Salsero wrote:Wow. Those are incredibly beautiful for that price! Could they possibly be as nice looking in person? The one with the wide mouth looks like it might work for Dan Cong or other long-leaved teas.
Yes. I think they are pretty nice looking for the price, too. If you stay away from pots below $12 on that site and focus on traditional styles, you are best off. The first two are probably thinner clay bodies; the third may be a little thicker, but you have to ask. And ask about the quality of the clay. They may be able to tell you and maybe not. But the third one looks best to me.

At least in my experience you know you're getting a realistic value for what you pay with these people.

Oct 7th, '08, 11:17

by cheaton » Oct 7th, '08, 11:17

I have an aversion to ordering things from ebay stores. It's probably to my detriment, but I love a shiney website and nice photography. lol. My order has shipped. I also bougth some Bodum Pavina glasses and TKY from them (in pursuit of tea). Part of my reason for ordering from this particular vendor was I liked the pictures of the inside of the pot showing the ball filter and the texture.

Oct 7th, '08, 12:36

by t4texas » Oct 7th, '08, 12:36

cheaton wrote:I have an aversion to ordering things from ebay stores. It's probably to my detriment, but I love a shiney website and nice photography. lol. My order has shipped. I also bougth some Bodum Pavina glasses and TKY from them (in pursuit of tea). Part of my reason for ordering from this particular vendor was I liked the pictures of the inside of the pot showing the ball filter and the texture.
Actually the photos on the CTG Ebay store are pretty good - some are very good, with inside of pot shots, too. Just click on those three links and scroll down for multiple shots for each pot. I have not bought from their website, but from their former B&M store, so I have a fairly good eye for picking out things off their eBay store. I think those three are a pretty safe bets as to value for price and functionality. For those prices you're not going to get a miracle pot with rare clay and all the characteristics of a perfect pot...but I've paid a lot more and not gotten that either. That said, there's a lot of pots, epecially those under $12, you would not be pleased with. I understand they are going to have more of the better pots in the future.

Oct 7th, '08, 12:37

by t4texas » Oct 7th, '08, 12:37

cheaton wrote:I have an aversion to ordering things from ebay stores. It's probably to my detriment, but I love a shiney website and nice photography. lol. My order has shipped. I also bougth some Bodum Pavina glasses and TKY from them (in pursuit of tea). Part of my reason for ordering from this particular vendor was I liked the pictures of the inside of the pot showing the ball filter and the texture.
Actually the photos on the CTG Ebay store are pretty good - some are very good, with inside of pot shots, too. Just click on those three links and scroll down for multiple shots for each pot. I have not bought from their website, but from their former B&M store, so I have a fairly good eye for picking out things off their eBay store. I think those three are a pretty safe bets as to value for price and functionality. For those prices you're not going to get a miracle pot with rare clay and all the characteristics of a perfect pot...but I've paid a lot more and not gotten that either. That said, there's a lot of pots, epecially those under $12, you would not be pleased with. I understand they are going to have more of the better pots in the future.

Oct 7th, '08, 13:04
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 7th, '08, 13:04

t4texas wrote:130ml pot Similar to one of mine, I think this one was probably made on a wheel.

If you are interested in any of these, my suggestion is: Ask them how they were made and anything else that's important to how you want to use them. While they're not going to know the pour rate, they may be able to tell you whether it is relatively thick- or thin-bodied. And let them know that you want it to make tea, not just for display and want one with the best clay they have. You could get two of these shipped for under $40.
Thanks for these recommendations! I am very much tempted! :D
I visited their ebay store before and never figure out how to browse their site. There are so many pots and not enough categorizations. I am mainly interested in small pots and they only categorize pots larger than 500ml. And some category names such as "collectible pots" don't say anything about texture, style or volume.

Oct 7th, '08, 13:13

by t4texas » Oct 7th, '08, 13:13

gingko wrote:
t4texas wrote:130ml pot Similar to one of mine, I think this one was probably made on a wheel.

Thanks for these recommendations! I am very much tempted! :D
I visited their ebay store before and never figure out how to browse their site. There are so many pots and not enough categorizations. I am mainly interested in small pots and they only categorize pots larger than 500ml. And some category names such as "collectible pots" don't say anything about texture, style or volume.
Yes, it's a bit awkward, but after trying each of the teapot tabs on the right side of their eBay store, I can find these types of pots best by clicking on the tab for all pots (800+) and then select 'Lowest Price" first or alternatively "Highest Price" from the screening drop-down option to the upper right --- then scroll until you get to the $12 level and work up. (There actually may be some at $10, so you could start there, but I haven't looked at the $10 pots carefully.)

Oct 7th, '08, 13:13

by scruffmcgruff » Oct 7th, '08, 13:13

gingko wrote:I am mainly interested in small pots and they only categorize pots larger than 500ml. And some category names such as "collectible pots" don't say anything about texture, style or volume.
Isn't there a "gong fu" section? Those are small.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Oct 7th, '08, 13:17

by t4texas » Oct 7th, '08, 13:17

scruffmcgruff wrote:
gingko wrote:I am mainly interested in small pots and they only categorize pots larger than 500ml. And some category names such as "collectible pots" don't say anything about texture, style or volume.
Isn't there a "gong fu" section? Those are small.
Yes, there is a gong fu section, but most of them are $4 - $9 poor quality clay. I guess you could try them, but I can't recommend them.

Oct 7th, '08, 14:40

by cheaton » Oct 7th, '08, 14:40

t4texas wrote:
Ya I'm sure they're a perfectly good place to order from. But I just can't do it. Too many bad experiences with Ebay vendors. But look at it this way, more cheap pots for you :)

Oct 7th, '08, 14:52

by t4texas » Oct 7th, '08, 14:52

cheaton wrote: Ya I'm sure they're a perfectly good place to order from. But I just can't do it. Too many bad experiences with Ebay vendors. But look at it this way, more cheap pots for you :)
Not trying to change your ways. Just pointing out that they do have each pot pretty well photographed. I have many pots from them, otherwise I would have bought at least two of those linked instead of posting about them.

Oct 7th, '08, 14:56

by scruffmcgruff » Oct 7th, '08, 14:56

t4texas wrote:Yes, there is a gong fu section, but most of them are $4 - $9 poor quality clay. I guess you could try them, but I can't recommend them.
Ah interesting... I didn't realize that only the cheap ones were in that section.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com