Tarry Lapsang Souchong

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Oct 7th, '08, 11:49

Tarry Lapsang Souchong

by JM » Oct 7th, '08, 11:49

Is there a difference between Lapsang Souchong and Tarry Lapsang?

Oct 7th, '08, 13:16

by olivierco » Oct 7th, '08, 13:16

According to some sellers including Palais des thés, it seems that Tarry Lapsang is from Taiwan and also that it is stronger.

Oct 7th, '08, 15:29
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 7th, '08, 15:29

olivierco wrote:According to some sellers including Palais des thés, it seems that Tarry Lapsang is from Taiwan and also that it is stronger.
Heh, given the definition of tarry, I would expect it to be VERY strong. I prefer my tea without the tar. :twisted: I always thought tarry was simply added by some vendors to indicate its tarry like intensity.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Oct 7th, '08, 20:17

by JM » Oct 7th, '08, 20:17

Chip wrote:Heh, given the definition of tarry, I would expect it to be VERY strong. I prefer my tea without the tar. :twisted: I always thought tarry was simply added by some vendors to indicate its tarry like intensity.
What is "tar?"

Oct 7th, '08, 20:21

by JM » Oct 7th, '08, 20:21

Found this :
Tarry: Tea taster's term for teas that have been fired over smoky flames, imparting a smoky flavor

Oct 8th, '08, 04:19

by tsverrir » Oct 8th, '08, 04:19

I've only once tasted Lapsang Souchong. I suspect it to be a low quality one. I kind of liked the taste but would have liked it to taste a little bit like tea also (that is too much tarry taste and almost no tea taste). Is that normal for Lapsang Souchong? if not could someone point out to me a good one to try?

Oct 8th, '08, 13:14

by JM » Oct 8th, '08, 13:14

tsverrir wrote:I kind of liked the taste but would have liked it to taste a little bit like tea also (that is too much tarry taste and almost no tea taste). Is that normal for Lapsang Souchong? if not could someone point out to me a good one to try?
Good question.

Oct 8th, '08, 14:24

by chad » Oct 8th, '08, 14:24

tsverrir wrote:I've only once tasted Lapsang Souchong. I suspect it to be a low quality one. I kind of liked the taste but would have liked it to taste a little bit like tea also (that is too much tarry taste and almost no tea taste). Is that normal for Lapsang Souchong? if not could someone point out to me a good one to try?
I've been working through some I got from my local tea shop. The source was Metropolitan Tea out of Toronto. Metropolitan is wholesale only so you'd have to research a local source.

The one I have is the #1 Lapsang Souchong "something something"...sorry, don't have the name close at hand. It has a very pronounced oak smoke essence...after I learned to back off the steep time to about 3 minutes I thought it was very nice. The tea is smooth and then the oak "smell"comes up and let's you know it's there. I had no "tarry" taste. A couple of other tea drinkers around the office have tried it and generally approve.

+ Post Reply