A walk on the wild side...

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 12th, '08, 21:17

A walk on the wild side...

by omegapd » Oct 12th, '08, 21:17

Against some advice from my friend Salsero, and my desire to try anything and everything in this "hobby", I ordered a couple of different things to try from Pu-erh shop tonight.

Any comments?

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=582

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=596

It'll be fun (I hope). :wink:

EW

Oct 12th, '08, 21:19

by Trioxin » Oct 12th, '08, 21:19

Scary stuff man. Let us know what you think of it after it arrives.

Oct 12th, '08, 21:36

by shogun89 » Oct 12th, '08, 21:36

That first one sure does look interesting! I think I will be buying a brick of that just to try it. Please tell us what you think!

Oct 12th, '08, 21:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Oct 12th, '08, 21:37

It's my understanding that rancid butter is preferred. I think BBB has actually had some of this concoction.

The closest I have come was to brew sheng puerh with the water remaining from boiling hot dogs.

Oct 12th, '08, 21:38

by puerhking » Oct 12th, '08, 21:38

Hey the price is right. Nothing wrong with expanding ones knowledge. I must admit that the fu brick looks like it came from a yak. :P

Oct 12th, '08, 21:48

by shogun89 » Oct 12th, '08, 21:48

I just looked at the brick a little closer and man for $6 I think it is going to be hard to go wrong. Its learning. I was interested to read that it is cooked though, dosent look it. Depending on omegapd's review of it I will probably be getting a few. No pressure!

I assume this is to be brewed as a regular ripe puerh????

Oct 12th, '08, 22:12

by Trioxin » Oct 12th, '08, 22:12

Salsero wrote: The closest I have come was to brew sheng puerh with the water remaining from boiling hot dogs.
you're not joking are you?

Oct 12th, '08, 22:30

by shogun89 » Oct 12th, '08, 22:30

Trioxin wrote:
Salsero wrote: The closest I have come was to brew sheng puerh with the water remaining from boiling hot dogs.
you're not joking are you?
I saw that too. I just thought I better not say anything :wink: We pu head really are crazy :lol:

Oct 12th, '08, 22:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Oct 12th, '08, 22:55

Trioxin wrote: you're not joking are you?
Now would I joke about something that important? I quote from the original post:

• After the heavenly Da Hong Pao, I felt confident enough to make you know what for supper, and brewed up a cup of Swede’s famous Hot Dog Water Tea. I used a sheng puerh that was not the favorite in our recent Puershop Sample Kit tasting sessions.

You know, … it was...mmm

… not that bad. Smooth, full feeling in the mouth, a little oily on the lips, and --yes-- an aftertaste, huigan, as they say. It was the aftertaste that made me think maybe I should follow majority opinion more often, but I went for a second infusion anyway. The slimy water really cuts the astringent puerh. Chinese people seem often to say that puerh helps you digest fats and should be drunk with a fat-laden dim sum meal. And I suspect the hot dog water tastes loads better than the rancid yak butter favored in tea by Tibetans. Did anyone know that there is actually a musical group called Rancid Yak Butter Tea? Google. :roll: Gotta love it. Happy Friday.
[/size]

For the record, the bravura of the post ignores the awful hot dog water belches I enjoyed for a couple of days afterward. It gave hui gan new and diabolical meanings. Blech.

Oct 12th, '08, 23:18

by t4texas » Oct 12th, '08, 23:18

I've had Yak Butter Tea. A guy I know traveled through the tea areas of China into Tibet and brought some back. Since no one had any Yak Butter handy in the fridge, he used a good, high fat butter, Plugra I think.

Errr. Can't say I regret it. Learning experience and all.

Gag!

Oct 12th, '08, 23:51

by Trioxin » Oct 12th, '08, 23:51

Salsero wrote:
Trioxin wrote: you're not joking are you?
Now would I joke about something that important? I quote from the original post:

• After the heavenly Da Hong Pao, I felt confident enough to make you know what for supper, and brewed up a cup of Swede’s famous Hot Dog Water Tea. I used a sheng puerh that was not the favorite in our recent Puershop Sample Kit tasting sessions.

You know, … it was...mmm

… not that bad. Smooth, full feeling in the mouth, a little oily on the lips, and --yes-- an aftertaste, huigan, as they say. It was the aftertaste that made me think maybe I should follow majority opinion more often, but I went for a second infusion anyway. The slimy water really cuts the astringent puerh. Chinese people seem often to say that puerh helps you digest fats and should be drunk with a fat-laden dim sum meal. And I suspect the hot dog water tastes loads better than the rancid yak butter favored in tea by Tibetans. Did anyone know that there is actually a musical group called Rancid Yak Butter Tea? Google. :roll: Gotta love it. Happy Friday.
[/size]

For the record, the bravura of the post ignores the awful hot dog water belches I enjoyed for a couple of days afterward. It gave hui gan new and diabolical meanings. Blech.
Now I can't get the thought of hot dog water tea out of my mind. Thanks Sal.

Oct 13th, '08, 00:02

by tenuki » Oct 13th, '08, 00:02

potato water actually brews some fine puerh, try it.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Oct 13th, '08, 01:57

by thanks » Oct 13th, '08, 01:57

Baoyan bricks from Xiaguan are actually really good tea. I've had 06, and an 01. It's very strong stuff, but the 01 was actually a fantastic pu-erh. It's amazing for the price, but a definite ager. It really gives your strainer a workout! Baoyan 01 bricks are actually 40 dollars for 250 grams. You won't regret buying this. I know Hobbes shares this opinion; http://half-dipper.blogspot.com/2008/04 ... aguan.html

Oct 13th, '08, 05:38

by omegapd » Oct 13th, '08, 05:38

shogun89 wrote:That first one sure does look interesting! I think I will be buying a brick of that just to try it. Please tell us what you think!
Will do, but I'll have to wait until the end of this month. This will be the wife's anniversary present to me. I didn't want to spend my own money. :lol:

+ Post Reply