Looky here!


One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Looky here!

Postby shogun89 » Oct 14th, '08, 15:52

I know there are alot of Mengku fans out there and I just came across a 2008 version of a cake that is very dear to some on here, Good price, I will defiantly be buying one!


http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Mengku-Wild-Ar ... dZViewItem
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby edkrueger » Oct 14th, '08, 16:33

I saw that too. Was thinking of adding it to my list. Seems the price increases rapidly:
YSLLC:2008:$17.80
YSLLC:2007:$23:80
Puerhshop:2006:$35.78
User avatar
edkrueger
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Jun 24th, '

Postby shogun89 » Oct 14th, '08, 16:36

edkrueger wrote:I saw that too. Was thinking of adding it to my list. Seems the price increases rapidly:
YSLLC:2008:$17.80
YSLLC:2007:$23:80
Puerhshop:2006:$35.78


Yeah, Though PS's price is not bad considering its a '06 it way more than I am willing to spend, So I figure I will just get a new one for 1/2 the price.
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby edkrueger » Oct 14th, '08, 16:38

If buyers actually know, collectively, what good pu-erh tastes like, then the price increase should be a sign of good aging or predicted good aging.
User avatar
edkrueger
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Jun 24th, '

Postby shogun89 » Oct 14th, '08, 16:48

edkrueger wrote:If buyers actually know, collectively, what good pu-erh tastes like, then the price increase should be a sign of good aging or predicted good aging.


Yeah, I think you are right. From what I've heard it seems to be a pretty solid cake.
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby heavydoom » Oct 14th, '08, 17:11

i am a solid believer in mengku shuangjiang. i have yet to taste a cake that was not to my liking. i am going to name my dog mengku shuangjiang!!
User avatar
heavydoom
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Jun 1st, '0
Location: The Golden Horseshoe

Postby brandon » Oct 14th, '08, 17:52

There is an RSS feed of new additions to ebay stores.. like YSLLC.

http://rss.api.ebay.com/ws/rssapi?FeedN ... =185588277
User avatar
brandon
 
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sep 25th, '

Postby Salsero » Oct 14th, '08, 19:28

brandon wrote:There is an RSS feed of new additions to ebay stores.. like YSLLC.

You are a dangerous man, my friend!
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby tony shlongini » Oct 14th, '08, 19:32

For whatever reason, this was a very popular cake. Hou De is priced similarly to PS.
User avatar
tony shlongini
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '
Location: The Isle of Malta

Postby thanks » Oct 14th, '08, 23:31

I think I'm the only person who isn't a huge Mengku fan on this forum. There may be one other but their alias is escaping me at this point. Regardless, the only Mengku tea that I've tried that I found to be truly excellent was the Mu Ye Chun 001 from 07... Which uses leaves from Yong De of Lincang. I generally find their teas to be completely lacking in "oomph". Their 2004 Bai Nian Gu Cha Shu was also good, but still light. The 2006 version of the "Wild arbor king" also did not impress me.

Basically what I'm asking, as you all are obviously big Mengku fans, is there a Mengku tea that just knocked you back? A tea that was strong, yet complex and not just too bitter for it's own good? I was looking at their recent Bing Dao cake which intrigues me, but seems a little expensive. It's hard to bring myself to buy it when I could just as easily buy myself some more cakes of the 08 Xiaguan FT Nan Zhao.
User avatar
thanks
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mar 31st, '

Postby Salsero » Oct 14th, '08, 23:43

thanks wrote:I think I'm the only person who isn't a huge Mengku fan ....
I like them OK, but find them to be very light ... in flavor, texture, aroma, hui gan. I enjoyed the ones I have tasted and have bought maybe 6 of their bings, but I consider them an ethereal niche product. I prefer a little more punch and funk in my ideal sheng. Course, I haven't found my ideal sheng so far. :lol:
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby Trioxin » Oct 15th, '08, 02:42

While I've tried a great number of Menkus newer cakes, the only ones I've truly been impressed with are under the Mu Ye Chun sub branch. I do like the regular menku cakes, and will drink them, but I don't feel the need to buy multiples or consider aging them. I think the main factor for the most part is the price. They are very reasonably priced for a decent quality cake.
User avatar
Trioxin
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Mar 4th, '0
Location: Peoria, IL

Postby thanks » Oct 15th, '08, 03:40

Salsero wrote:
thanks wrote:I think I'm the only person who isn't a huge Mengku fan ....
I like them OK, but find them to be very light ... in flavor, texture, aroma, hui gan. I enjoyed the ones I have tasted and have bought maybe 6 of their bings, but I consider them an ethereal niche product. I prefer a little more punch and funk in my ideal sheng. Course, I haven't found my ideal sheng so far. :lol:


I agree with you. Sounds like you should try more Xiaguan of good years :)
Trioxin wrote:While I've tried a great number of Menkus newer cakes, the only ones I've truly been impressed with are under the Mu Ye Chun sub branch. I do like the regular menku cakes, and will drink them, but I don't feel the need to buy multiples or consider aging them. I think the main factor for the most part is the price. They are very reasonably priced for a decent quality cake.


Well couldn't the same be said of new Menghai and Xiaguan FT releases? Hai Lang Hao definitely fits this description as well, if not moreso. Yong De is another example that springs to mind. Over the years Mengku's price is overall cheaper, I guess, but has anyone had a truly aged Mengku cake?
User avatar
thanks
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mar 31st, '

Postby Trioxin » Oct 15th, '08, 04:51

Can't disagree with you on that point.
User avatar
Trioxin
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Mar 4th, '0
Location: Peoria, IL

Postby tenuki » Oct 15th, '08, 05:23

brandon wrote:There is an RSS feed of new additions to ebay stores.. like YSLLC.

http://rss.api.ebay.com/ws/rssapi?FeedN ... =185588277


Damn you!


btw, I have the 2006 version of that cake and it's all I can do to leave it wrapped and put away till 2016 for it's first tasting.
User avatar
tenuki
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Oct 23rd, '
Location: Seattle Area

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation